Silicone Sock for M200 extruder?

I found this, and i like one for my Zortrax M200

http://e3d-online.com/Socks-Launch

Hi,

Quite interesting!

Did you check with the supplier if the silicone sock fits M200?

Hi.

No, i have that extruder in other 3D printer but without the silicone cover.

​Maybe is a good idea for a new Zortrax accessory ;)

It is actually really easy to do, I will make some samples next week

But what about the nozzles/hotends temperature situation?

Couldn't it overheat or something like that? (I'm a newbe, so not sure if it's important to have any cooling effect by air on the nozzles / hotend surface ...)

But what about the nozzles/hotends temperature situation?

Couldn't it overheat or something like that? (I'm a newbe, so not sure if it's important to have any cooling effect by air on the nozzles / hotend surface ...)

Just thinking out loud here, but at a guess as there is a temp probe right inside the hot end the worst this would do is insulate it a bit. It would still cut off at the 'correct' temperature as the probe is right inside. 

Just thinking out loud here, but at a guess as there is a temp probe right inside the hot end the worst this would do is insulate it a bit. It would still cut off at the 'correct' temperature as the probe is right inside. 

This is correct, of the 2 metal bars that run into the heating block, the larger one is the heater and the smaller one is the thermostat. insulating the block only has positive results in almost all cases. It reduces heat up time because heat is not escaping as quickly, it reduces the amount of heating cycles necessary to maintain a temperature. Smaller parts are not affected as much by the large block sitting above them all the time. There are more reasons but I feel these are the main 3 that help the most. 

I made a silicone sock to fit the M200 Hot End, I have been testing it for the past few days and as yet I have not found a problem. I did do some strength tests by printing some test samples on the same M200 with and without the silicone sock and when I did the strength tests I couldn't measure any difference between the parts printed with the silicone sock and the ones printed without the sock.

I ran two M200 printers printing the same file and one printer had the Silicone sock and the other didn't, using infrared thermometers I checked the temperature of the silicone sock and the same area on the hot end of the other machine without the sock, with the sock most of the readings were at least 60 deg C lower, where the infrared thermometer could see parts of the hot end the temperature difference was not as great but still lower.

The printed parts measured the same temperature as they were printing. 

It makes perfect sense that the silicone sock would be much lower in temperature, but the nozzle itself should be the same temp with or without the silicone sock.

It would be worth keeping an eye on and measuring the nozzle with and without the sock as if it's affecting the temp of the extraction point I would think that might cause problems. 

Disassembled and cleaned my hotend this weekend, while i was at it i measured up and modeled in CAD

Andy: Can't download the file Hotend.stl ... 

Always get this message:

Oops! Something went wrong!

[#10173]

We could not find the attachment you were attempting to view.

Any idea?

I had no issue downloading it.

I had no problem viewing in Z-suite

IMG_2181.JPG

The silicone sock is working well on my M200

Carbon 1 : Is it possible for you to sell 3 silicone socks for me ?

Carbon 1 : Is it possible for you to sell 3 silicone socks for me ?

Hi Minanga, At this stage I am still trialing the silicone to see if it will last, I have noticed if I place a silicone sock on a dirty hot end the dirty filament residue discolours the silicone sock.

The freight to France may cost more than the silicone socks.

When I have them ready to sell I will let you know.

IMG_2163.JPG

This should be relatively easy to reproduce (not as easy as ordering them in but if you have the time...)

Just need to order some High Temp 700F RTV Silicone, print out the model of the hot end above, probably sand it and smooth it. Create an external shell and split it down the length of the hotend, also sand and smooth. Cover all casting parts with vaseline then put some silicone in there and squidge together. Wipe off extra bits and wait to dry.

Silicone is then very easily cut with a razor blade so you can neaten it up after.

All that said if someone starts selling these at a reasonable price I would probably just end up buying ^_^

I use one of these, It's vastly reduced burns and helps regulate temperature. Worth a try if you are struggling to find something that fits the M200 heater block

https://www.madereality.co.uk/product/zortrax-m200-m300-silicone-heater-block-cover/