Snapped Nozzle

Help!

I have managed to snap the nozzle leaving half of it in the hot-end for a second time. What am I doing wrong? I thought I was following the online instructions correctly for removing the nozzle for cleaning.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for removing the half of the nozzle that is left in the hot-end?

This is getting quite costly if I keep having to buy new nozzles and hot-ends.

Any suggestions welcome

David

First off.. Make sure the extruder is hot when removing or putting on nozzle. When you tighten the nozzle remember never to go too tight. The nozzle seals against the tube on the inside, Not against the block itself. You might have a small gap between the nozzle and block when it's tight. If you remove 2 top screws you should be able to pull the tube out of the block leaving the broken part inside. Then use something to grip broken part from the inside and unscrew. Might have to heat the block with a heat gun or lighter. This is how the inside of the hot end looks.BiI2kK.jpg

Kyles suggestion is the way to go for trying to fix it.

For what you are doing wrong i can tell you that there is some issues with the brass material, it is way to fragile for the job it is designed to do. It takes “finesse” to do this type of maintenance with out issues. Definitly don’t torque it down firm. On my next cleaning i will be figuring out the proper amount of torque to apply when installing the nozzle to hopefully save others from dealing with the ambiguity of “tight” in the instructions when installing. 

I would  personally go ahead and order a new hotend. I just went through this also. The nozzel broke during removal for cleaning while “hot”, and the thread was stuck inside. I attempted to get it out, however some minor damage did occur, and i did not feel comfortable trying to reuse it.

Best of luck, hopefully you can reuse it! 

let us know what worked for ya.

This pic might be better..

Kyles suggestion is the way to go for trying to fix it.

For what you are doing wrong i can tell you that there is some issues with the brass material, it is way to fragile for the job it is designed to do. It takes “finesse” to do this type of maintenance with out issues. Definitly don’t torque it down firm. On my next cleaning i will be figuring out the proper amount of torque to apply when installing the nozzle to hopefully save others from dealing with the ambiguity of “tight” in the instructions when installing. 

I would  personally go ahead and order a new hotend. I just went through this also. The nozzel broke during removal for cleaning while “hot”, and the thread was stuck inside. I attempted to get it out, however some minor damage did occur, and i did not feel comfortable trying to reuse it.

Best of luck, hopefully you can reuse it! 

let us know what worked for ya.

I would say turn nozzle until it stops and go 1 or 2 degrees more. Doesn't take much..

One of my former colleagues had a tip that his dad always used to say: ''A quarter turn before the thread snaps you have to stop turning.'' :)

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice.

I decided to buy a new hot end as there just seemed to be no way to get the get the snapped half of the nozzle out. If anyone wants the broken one then I am happy to post it to them (in the UK).

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice.

I decided to buy a new hot end as there just seemed to be no way to get the get the snapped half of the nozzle out. If anyone wants the broken one then I am happy to post it to them (in the UK).

I've made my own hot blocks out of aluminum and most have the M6 hole offset to one end of the block, could you drill and tap a new hole in the space left over on the block to reuse it?

I after damaging the threads, I put a Helicoil, and works very well