So im playing around with some experimental materials and would love some advice

Ok so i have decided to tinker with my zortrax printer…i understand this voids the warranty but frankly i dont care because unless i did this the printer was worthless to me …i will not go into detail but i am now able to adjust my extrusion temperature…anyway im getting good results with wood filaments but i also have carbon fiber filiment that im having trouble wwith .i seem to be getting horozontal slits like the layers are not fusing properly…when i print say a cylinder, it seems to be print like a bunch of stacked pancakes that are easily seperated rather than fused…what if any advice can u guys offer?..this is mosr evident in the first half of the print and it seems to correct itself the second the half that does fuse provides a wonderful unique finish so this material could be great once i work out the ts

Oh and on a side note…i also bought some black ninjaflex…julie informed me that its never going to work regardless of the extrusion …so unless you now have another opinion julie, i will likely never use this…its an unopened roll of black…if anyone has a machine that can use this and wants to trade.me for pretty much anything i can use with my zortrax id love to make.the.trade…ideally something more exotic like nylon but i would take regular zabs too

Um....ok. Well theres really no way to tell what is going on there as the settings you are using are unknown to us. 

When you change the temp you have to use no fan as the Z is temperamental and it will cool the extruder too much and take more time to heat up so that could cause adhesion issues.  

I couldn't imagine it got to hot and then the one layer melted more than the  rest causing that. 

~~Also we like pics. It helps us see what you are trying to say! A lot of people don't post pics and expect us to imagine. Thats fine but our imagination is busy on our own crap. ~~

Sorry had to rant for a sec. Cheers

it sounds to me you’re not getting enough heat inside your printer your part Is cooling too fast so I would try turning your temperature higher if you can or enclosing your printer sides and a top?

what is happening when you first start your print you’re not as hot inside the printer after awhile your printer has more mass with more print plastic build up and holds more heat.

Thats why it starts working that is what it sounds like to me, I hope it helps

No experience with this and you didn't tell us the specifics of setings/setup, but just spitballing I'd say:

1) Doors/enclosure

2) No fan

2) Higher temp

3) Larger diameter nozzle

4) Layer height. Larger would retain more heat, but lower would squish the layers together, so I'm not sure which would be better. I'd guess that too thin would cause a clog, but I think ya just need to do some playing. 

What temperature are you using, Needmore? CF-20 is not PLA/PHA like a lot of Colorfabb's materials - it's a member of their "XT" family, which requires higher extrusion temps: CF-20 wants 240-250ºC AFAIK.

Sorry to contradict, Heavenly Creation, but it's not necessarily true that fan has to be turned off; it depends on the material and the temperature you're printing at; fan is in fact required for a lot of materials in my experience.

I'm just a newbie Julia. :P  hehehe You know that. lol I learn something new everyday. I was under impression when messing with Zs temp that if fan was on it would cool down to the Zsuite set temp and then fight its way back up to the temp hacked for it. 

Its good to know that it can be on, just depends on the material I guess. 

Cheers

if fan was on it would cool down to the Zsuite set temp and then fight its way back up to the temp hacked for it. 

With or without Z-Temp, the nozzle temperature will always dip to some extent when the fan first kicks in; then the PID loop will bring it back, and as long as the fan speed remains the same the temperature will remain stable. The amount of the dip and the recovery time depend on the difference between the nozzle temperature and ambient (the air that the fan is blowing) and the volume of air from the fan that's hitting the nozzle. At low temperatures the dip is small; at higher temperatures it can be bigger and take longer to recover.

Ok sorry for the short explanation and typos…i hate typing on my phone…anyway,the temp is exactly what the material calls for (cant remember at the moment)i have doors on my machine and i tried with both fan and no fan… i too suspected not enough heat but i printed both with no fan and in the highest range the material suggests and still had splitting…besides the splitting the material is very weak…i can crush it with my fingers with moderate pressure…im suspecting perhaps i have a bad roll?? my next step is to go over tge reccomended maybe my Temp is off??

Ok sorry for the short explanation and typos…i hate typing on my phone…anyway,the temp is exactly what the material calls for (cant remember at the moment)i have doors on my machine and i tried with both fan and no fan… i too suspected not enough heat but i printed both with no fan and in the highest range the material suggests and still had splitting…besides the splitting the material is very weak…i can crush it with my fingers with moderate pressure…im suspecting perhaps i have a bad roll?? my next step is to go over tge reccomended maybe my Temp is off??

Or maybe it's just not a good material... I can't find any real reviews of it, just a lot of press releases and pseudo-reviews that are really just press releases.

Ok sorry for the short explanation and typos..i hate typing on my phone...anyway,the temp is exactly what the material calls for (cant remember at the moment)i have doors on my machine and i tried with both fan and no fan.. i too suspected not enough heat but i printed both with no fan and in the highest range the material suggests and still had splitting....besides the splitting the material is very weak...i can crush it with my fingers with moderate pressure...im suspecting perhaps i have a bad roll?? my next step is to go over tge reccomended maybe my Temp is off??

Maybe go the other way with the temp? Chances are kinda low, but what if the material is degrading by printing it that hot? 

Thanks guys for the help…+10 on the ztemp seems to have worked …mim only half way through a test shape but so far it looks fantastic…this material is amazing and im really loving my zortrax now that i can use other materials…im a designer for a fashion lab where i create custom embelishments and hardware for the fashion industry and plain plastic just wasnt going work…now i can print wood, stone and carbon fiber…this filiment is just stunning…i will take a photo but i doubt the camera will catch what can be seen in person… it appears black but with a wonderful luster and deep texture… it looks rich and not like a cheap piece of plastic from a gumball machine… now i can get some use from this machine…a …abs is great for most people but for my needs it just falls short…the best part of this carbon fiber fil is that no finishing is required…the off the machine look and texture is desirable

Really finicky stuff btw…half way through i brought the temp back down -10 and it started getting stringy…very narrow temp range between looking fucking amazing and not working at all