Solid vs Full

Can anyone explain the difference between the "Solid" and "Full" infill settings? Seems to me like those two words suggest the same thing...

Thanks!

-J

Solid is simply a bit denser than full…

And solid is not really solid…it’s just a very dense mesh.

I have a major problem whit infill. I make small prototype parts, and due to the lack of solid print they are weak, and break easy.

I hope in the near future, solid will be really solid.

Dr_J

I made some time ago four prints with different infill settings for comparison:

4tmyd3.jpg

From left to right: full, solid, medium, light

Viper - You beat me to it! I did the same thing last night.

I also would like to see an infill option that is actually solid (with no voids at all) for making prototype parts.

While they're at it, maybe they should re-name the infills, to be a little more clear...

Cheers,

-J

You have right. They should rename infills to something like: 

full -> high (density)

solid -> normal

medium -> medium

light -> light

If you have weak parts you probably use too much fan. Even if you would have a real solid option the parts will still be weak if the layers don’t bond properly due to over cooling. Try to print your parts with 0% fan and see if it helps. Also look into the advanced tab… There you can choose the amount of top and bottom layers. Set it to 6… This will give you more solid surfaces.

Last not least… It could also be your filament…there were some white batches that showed bad adhesion. Try another color and see if that helps.

All I can say is that I have printed small parts with the current full option and low to zero fan and they’re super strong.

Has anyone done tests to see if putting parts through an acetone vapor bath increases their strength? I suspect it might increase the adhesion between the layers (much like using 0% fan does), which might help strength as well.

Of course, all of these suggestions are affected by the part orientation in the printer vs the orientation of the forces they are subjected to.

I just realize that I mixed up solid and full in my post further up… Full is denser than solid, of course…

jps8, I'm not sure with acetone, because it will not act inside the model.

After months of prints with M200, the full setting give very solid parts. Weakness can be found on walls, as Z-suite generate 1 wall, 2 walls or 2 walls with infill, depending on the thickness you've set in your model.

Another point with model design : when you need to connect a thin wall to a larger part, round corners are much stonger than 90° corners

Ted - for the acetone, I was thinking that perhaps it might help with preventing the layers from delaminating from each other. Again, the orientation of the load vs the orientation of the layers would effect whether or not acetone would have an impact. Basically if your parts fail from delaminating, that's when I suspect acetone might help. But, I haven't tested it :)

As for a true 100% fill, I was thinking that this would be handy for me when I want to tap threads into the plastic, after it has been printed.

Thanks for the tip on fillets!