Something to prevent fire ?

Hello,

Is the Zortrax team could improve something in the firmware so that this kind of incident does not happen?

Monitoring of changes in temperature relative to the power sent to the cartridge heater?

http://hackaday.com/2016/03/21/ask-hackaday-mrrf-edition-3d-printers-can-catch-fire/

OR and this is just a far out concept. Maybe reassemble your expensive equipment properly and check the set screws. While I do agree that there should be a set limit the printer can provide power to a module I am more inclined to blame the user for not maintaining the printer properly. It may seem a bit harsh but if the fire was not contained to the printer alone then this person "Jay" would have lost their home/business.

-NS

I wonder if "Jay" had his printer updated to the latest firmware version. In the description of the last two firmware versions sentence "New important safety improvements" can be found. I wonder what would that mean if not something to prevent accidents like this to happen.

The M200 is pretty stingy with the amount of power it sends to the heater, as witnessed by its long heating time. The safeguards rely on the thermocouple report any over-temperature condition. If the heater is removed (falls out of) the block, then there is no way to sense over temperature. Add a smoke alarm?

Edit: Actually I think the new firmware does include a safeguard that should catch this: if the thermocouple doesn't report reaching the target temperature within a certain time limit an error is generated.

Actually I'm running the latest firmware and had a reasonably concerning temperature runaway recently.

No fire, but it did start smoking from the nozzle and bubbling. Don't know what would have happened if I hadn't been there watching, or if it could occur during a print after starting off normal.

I'm waiting on a new ribbon cable to see if that's the culprit.

Considering this is a Z in the picture that has burnt, multiple safeguards and countermeasures could only be a good thing and even possibly a priority?

It is a fair concern.

Edit: Actually I think the new firmware does include a safeguard that should catch this: if the thermocouple doesn't report reaching the target temperature within a certain time limit an error is generated.

<span><a  class="" href="http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/user/3051-marcin/" title=""><span><span>Marcin</span></span></a> : can you confirm ?</span>

Marcin : can you confirm ?

Yes, I can. 

FW 1.0.0 has various watchdogs implemented, that should prevent your printer getting burned. 

Yes, I can. 

FW 1.0.0 has various watchdogs implemented, that should prevent your printer getting burned.

One of these watchdogs just barked: Bed temperature too high.

Print stopped after this. Light smell of burnt plastics/rubber.

How can I solve this problem?

It appeared out of the blue.

Was the bed really hot? Or cool/normal?

Really hot.

OR and this is just a far out concept. Maybe reassemble your expensive equipment properly and check the set screws. While I do agree that there should be a set limit the printer can provide power to a module I am more inclined to blame the user for not maintaining the printer properly. It may seem a bit harsh but if the fire was not contained to the printer alone then this person "Jay" would have lost their home/business.

-NS

Wonder if "Jay" starts the engine in his car before adding oil during an oil change.. I hope not.. This is obviously a V2 printer.. I have a V1 but really have to pull on the wires to get the heater cartridge out. Just unlucky I guess..