Sourcing a replacement rotary selector.....

Wearing out my scroll and select rotary switch is acceptable for as much as I use my M200s. The soon to be supported "Print Again" menu selection should seriously cut down on the wear and tear but in the meantime I'm replacing at least 2 of my worst worn and hard to control rotary switches.

The replacement board (LCD Screen module) also includes the SD card reader and LCD panel runs $100 US. I hate to toss the old electronics and would like to try replacing the rotary switch itself to prolong the replacement cycle (out of warranty of course). The LCD panels are starting to have issues as well so it won't be an indefinite fix but I'd like to explore replacing just the rotary selector.  

Which of my fellow M200 users with electronics background can help me source a "true" replacement.  Picture attached......  

Kind Regards -DavidScroll.JPG

Probably around one other these, but you will have to do some dimensional measurements. Actual is 20 count, I selected 18-24 count for more choices.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/sensors-transducers/encoders/1966131?k=&pv395=81&pv395=33&pv395=17&FV=a4019a%2C1140291%2C3400006%2C408003c%2C6240002%2C6280001%2Ce000002%2Cfff4001e%2Cfff80033&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

http://www.mouser.com/Sensors/Encoders/_/N-ae944?P=1yvvtenZ1yvvtf8Z1yvvtf9Z1yyaxhdZ1yyaxjvZ1yyaxjxZ1yx66ysZ1yzxao2

Probably around one other these, but you will have to do some dimensional measurements. Actual is 20 count, I selected 18-24 count for more choices.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/sensors-transducers/encoders/1966131?k=&pv395=81&pv395=33&pv395=17&FV=a4019a%2C1140291%2C3400006%2C408003c%2C6240002%2C6280001%2Ce000002%2Cfff4001e%2Cfff80033&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

http://www.mouser.com/Sensors/Encoders/_/N-ae944?P=1yvvtenZ1yvvtf8Z1yvvtf9Z1yyaxhdZ1yyaxjvZ1yyaxjxZ1yx66ysZ1yzxao2

Thank you ChunkyPastaSauce!  $3.48 later I have the part on order and am looking forward to seeing how well it will work. Kind Regards, -David

https://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=102-1767-ND

New part(s) arrived this afternoon and I've soldered it in. Tomorrow morning I'll swap PC boards and verify the new scroll switch works correctly.  - David

https://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=102-1767-ND

NewScroll.JPG

I'm looking forward to the results of your test.  Looks like you are set to fix a good part of your M200 stable should the problem recur.

I'm looking forward to the results of your test.  Looks like you are set to fix a good part of your M200 stable should the problem recur.

It works great with one strange exception. It scrolls exactly the opposite of the original. Which isn't an issue unless you have some that you replaced and others that are original. Still a great $3.48 solution to a $100.00 problem. ;-)

It works great with one strange exception. It scrolls exactly the opposite of the original. Which isn't an issue unless you have some that you replaced and others that are original. Still a great $3.48 solution to a $100.00 problem. ;-)

Awesome!  If the reverse scrolling bugs you too much, swap the left and right pins (from the group of 3).

Thanks for the update.  Chunky seems to have the right idea regarding scroll direction.

Awesome!  If the reverse scrolling bugs you too much, swap the left and right pins (from the group of 3).

How in the world do you swap left and right pins between this component and the board that it solders directly to? ;-)

How in the world do you swap left and right pins between this component and the board that it solders directly to? ;-)

Summon the powers of the bodge. Bend the pins up, or snip them. Then run bodge wire.

You unsoldered the old rotary switch, doesn't it show a label with the part number and or manufacturer?

That way you could spend another 3.48$ and order the right one (inverted signal).

Otherwise you could bend the pins instead using the PCB holes and solder wires on them to swap the connection.

Yes I unsoldered the old part and looked for identifying marks. Nothing on it. Tiny part......so I'll leave as is for now. Next time I have to deal with it I'll consider bending pins up and using two small jumpers to the holes. Thank you all for your help!

Summon the powers of the bodge. Bend the pins up, or snip them. Then run bodge wire.

Mr. Sauce, I am forever in your debt. "Summon the Power of The Bodge" and "Bodge Wire" have now become part of my daily lexicon. Thinking about launching a website to sell certified authentic bodge wire....

CPS, are you an Australian?

"Bodging it up" is an Australian institution, which you seem quite familiar with.

They're not THAT bad...I'm starting to get used to them.

It seems there's a culture clash involved....my wife's been to Poland and assure's me that the "2 finger salute" is basically a cordial greeting there.

Plus as well Poland is a pretty tough country to live in, and our squeals about no wifi etc may seem pretty trivial to them compared to what they go through on a daily basis.

I read an article on Aussie farmers trying to do business in eastern Europe, which gave some examples that I could certainly relate to here. They did mention challenges with communication, but found it quite funny once they got over the first couple of meetings.

I actually had them do something decent for me recently (to my surprise I must admit), and unlike some of our countries they do very openly admit when their product/software has a fault.

I guess the secret is not to take offense too easily when dealing with "Z".

"Bodging it up" is an Australian institution, which you seem quite familiar with.

I think "bodge" is also used in the UK.

I think "bodge" is also used in the UK.

Quite possibly as we are distant cousins.

Apparently it comes from some old profession called "bodgers" who were known for really poor workmanship.

Forgot about thread after vacation :P

Mr. Sauce, I am forever in your debt. "Summon the Power of The Bodge" and "Bodge Wire" have now become part of my daily lexicon. Thinking about launching a website to sell certified authentic bodge wire....

That would be funny. Good brand name.

American......I watch a lot of youtube with Australian and UK hosts... probably from there

Still waiting for the "Print Again" button in a future firmware update. I've had 2 more rotary selectors fail and now have the pleasure of replacing them. Unhappily scrolling my life away to print the same piece again....... -David

Still waiting for the "Print Again" button in a future firmware update. I've had 2 more rotary selectors fail and now have the pleasure of replacing them. Unhappily scrolling my life away to print the same piece again....... -David

or, you remove all the old files and only load the one you want to print at the moment? I agree a print again option would be nice and is probably coming but you are still going to have to scroll if you do not change your methods!