Sphere printing

Yep.. gets rid of the zipper looking seam. Hit it with Acetone when you are done.. It will smooth it even further..

Thanks Kyle for your printing.

If I compare nikolaus print up and Kyle print down, it seem that M200 shows difficulties at the bottom of spheres even with support.

Hope that as said, technical team at Zortrax could optimize this.

Or let's have more Acetone  :wacko: .. nobody is perfect  :rolleyes:

post-419-0-65643200-1413814823.jpgv7PiKe.jpg

Thanks Kyle for your printing.

If I compare nikolaus print up and Kyle print down, it seem that M200 shows difficulties at the bottom of spheres even with support.

Hope that as said, technical team at Zortrax could optimize this.

Note that Kyle used very minimal support, only 20 degrees. 60-80 degrees will give much better results.

Note that Kyle used very minimal support, only 20 degrees. 60-80 degrees will give much better results.

:blink: Ooops...

Yes, you're right Julia

In my tests this is not the case. I have tested it before and i tested it again with z-suite 0.0.9.1, the result with no support vs 80 degress support is simular imo. Support is never connecting with perimeters off the prints, the only benefit is that layers have abit longer time to cool down when support is printing.

To make it better i would like to see a different way to print sphere from z-suite, now it is 3 perimeters and it does outside first then it does inside and last perimeter in the middle. I would like it to print the first perimeter to the inside and second in the middle and the last one as outer perimeter, that way last perimeter can connect with the middle perimeter and mabey make a better sphere. And abit slower speed at the beginning off the sphere could also help abit imo.

Left sphere in the picture is printed with 0.14, full fan and 80 degress support. Right with same settings just with no support at all.

2q8dh5g.jpg

:huh:  hum....

Perhaps it would be good to print sphere with another angle  :rolleyes:

In my tests this is not the case. I have tested it before and i tested it again with z-suite 0.0.9.1, the result with no support vs 80 degress support is simular imo. Support is never connecting with perimeters off the prints, the only benefit is that layers have abit longer time to cool down when support is printing.

Wow, that is surprising  :o

:huh: Hum....

Well if the problem is really on the bottom of the sphere, If we take a look at Trhuster's picture :

- we can see that circle are not so round at bottom, may be because of some thermal retraction perhaps due to plate temperature.

- may be slices aren't properly filled (there's a tune for it I think).

what do you think about it ?

2q8dh5g.jpg

With reflexion, if the bottom is printed with no support or no support attached, and if print begins by drawing external circle it's normal that it  can't be round because it's just flying  :o at bottom, so it solidifies randomly.

I think that sufficient support and filling is a solution

Well maybe its just a cooling problem specially if the mass of already printed material or the heat transfer area towards the already printed mass is not big enough to withdraw sufficient heat from the point where the filament layer is deposited. I try to increase the cooling using a circular air knife pointing exactly 5 mmm from the nozzle towards the deposition area.

hope this changes the game. Just finished the print of the new cooling device and tomorrow will mount it and the do the same print again will see what comes out.

DSC03918.jpg

Dear BSV is this random layering of the filament at the bottom a weakness of the algorithm or is it a cooing problem. I fthe cooling is not adequate then after laying down the liquified filament it still can move if not correctly cooled at layering spot and show this erratic layering.

In the dimension normally the most outer layer is fixed first so you have a exactly defined circle and the the inner not visible part is layered in parallel strips which changes direction by 90 degrees in every layer so you get always a nearly perfect outer surface with exact positioning. Thinking that this is all due to restricted possibility to draw the heat away when material thickness does not give sufficient heat sink area a air knife concentrating the cooling just after laying down should improve that.

best regards Nikolaus

here the file for the circular air knife if somebody wants to try as well. Be aware that between the top of the air knife and the nozzle heating block some kind of heat insulation and as well the hollow  air knife should be protected with a short ceramic tube to avoid heating 401

Zortrax M200 Kühlung1.STL
of the abs+

Dear BSV is this random layering of the filament at the bottom a weakness of the algorithm or is it a cooing problem. I fthe cooling is not adequate then after laying down the liquified filament it still can move if not correctly cooled at layering spot and show this erratic layering.

In the dimension normally the most outer layer is fixed first so you have a exactly defined circle and the the inner not visible part is layered in parallel strips which changes direction by 90 degrees in every layer so you get always a nearly perfect outer surface with exact positioning. Thinking that this is all due to restricted possibility to draw the heat away when material thickness does not give sufficient heat sink area a air knife concentrating the cooling just after laying down should improve that.

best regards Nikolaus

Thanks Nikolaus.

I agree with this, but still think that perhaps outer layer still move before cooling because it has no (or  not enough) support to be fixed on at this height.

Hope I could try it soon by myself  :)

PS: I'm B2V not BSV but you can call me B  ;)

Hi B thanks for your post, i am 66 years old so i can't claim to be digital native it is out of my understanding what difference or meaning lies in B2V or BSV, so please don't take my misspelling  as insult.I simply have no clue.

as soon i have found the insulating material to avoid dripping down hot ABS i will print and send the results.

nikolaus

Sphere-side of head made by my printer;

support: no

thickness: 0.09mm

smoothing: sanding (320) and acetone'ing a bit...

M200_photo_06.jpg

Sometimes I have better results with 0.14 layers