Tensile Strength Of Z-Prints

Met guys from LabTim on trade fair yesterday which gave me an opportunity to test tensile strength of my prints on a professional machine.  :) 

I printed several samples and we tested them today.

Here are the results:

post-6-0-17285000-1429885088.jpg

...and some pics:

wp20150424123635pro.jpg

p4241954-medium.jpg

Z-ULTRAT rulez. B)

In case anyone was wondering, like I was......

<b>1</b>&nbsp;MPa =&nbsp;<b>145.03773773022</b>&nbsp;psi

Thanks Sam for the great info. Hope you don't mind if I use it?

Cheers

Yes comrade, you can use it.

Ultrat is a type of ABS, so how does it differ from the regular ABS?

Ultrat is a type of ABS, so how does it differ from the regular ABS?

Same as hamburger is just a name but this don’t means that everywhere it looks and taste same :wink:

Exist thousands of A+B+S mixtures.

Best Regards

Martin

Same as hamburger is just a name but this don't means that everywhere it looks and taste same ;)

Especially in China...

"chicken hands" would be better example. :D

I've been planning on doing this for a while since I have access to an Instron test equipment. What I find interesting is the failure mode: which of the materials was the one that failed at 45degrees (just above the grey sample)? Were they all printed the same? What was the orientation? How many were printed at the same time?

The 45deg one is interesting because it failed in shear, the top one had a mixed failure mode, and the rest failed in tension. 

Material and process characterization like this is what I could get really excited about doing and then sharing.  If only I had the testing equipment and the filament to print the samples. 

I've been planning on doing this for a while since I have access to an Instron test equipment. What I find interesting is the failure mode: which of the materials was the one that failed at 45degrees (just above the grey sample)? Were they all printed the same? What was the orientation? How many were printed at the same time?

The 45deg one is interesting because it failed in shear, the top one had a mixed failure mode, and the rest failed in tension. 

They were all printed the same way, the same orientation and settings. Full fill, 6 top layers, 6 bottom layers, 0% fan, side panels, high speed and normal seam.

The print you are mentioning is 0.19 ABS piece and it is my fault that it failed under 45 degrees. When it was being printed I slightly bumped the platform down somewhere in the middle of the print to see if it would affect on top surface finish. Well, it doesn't, but it affected to result of the test (pure curiosity - I can't help myself).

EDIT: I bumped the platform down on another piece (ninja star) which was not involved in testing. I have no idea why it failed under 45 degrees.

Unfortunately I was out of time to do some more pieces in different orientations, shapes and features. I will try to find someone else with professional equipment to do some more tests in the near future. Wish me luck. :)

Orientation:

orientation.jpg

Material and process characterization like this is what I could get really excited about doing and then sharing.  If only I had the testing equipment and the filament to print the samples. 

I actually have access to professional testing equipment (mechanical engineer grad student) and I'd be willing to spare the filament, I just have no time (mechanical engineer grad student...).

I actually have access to professional testing equipment (mechanical engineer grad student) and I'd be willing to spare the filament, I just have no time (mechanical engineer grad student...).

You two are geographically close, too, I think.

Yes we are close, adjoining states but 360 miles apart.

Closest I ever get that way is my parent's house in Gig Harbor (just west of tacoma). 

I'm thinking that I MIGHT have time this summer. Once I have the test set up it's really easy to just run sample after sample, so if people sent me samples I could probably get it done in an afternoon. I'd want to test tension as well as bending, and maybe torsion if I had time. 

Does one know if there are standard test specimen designs for 3D printing, such as ASTM, DIN.....?   Or do we use the ASTM D638 injection molded specimen design?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28987

PLA way stronger than ABS:

https://www.academia.edu/6209168/Mechanical_properties_of_components_fabricated_with_open-source_3-D_printers_under_realistic_environmental_conditions

I'm not 

PLA way stronger than ABS:

https://www.academia.edu/6209168/Mechanical_properties_of_components_fabricated_with_open-source_3-D_printers_under_realistic_environmental_conditions

I'm not too good with these type of graphs and that but I looked at both( YosemiteSams results and the Aceademia one)  and read most of the paper from this link and to me it looks like it all depends where the ABS is from because they say that tensile strength is 28 for abs and 56 for Pla but the test on Zortrax material shows well over those numbers.

Maybe someone how has time and is more interested can compare and see where my thought was wrong or right. lol It was a good read though, even if it was in regards to Rep Rap.  hahaha

You can't compare a test that one person does with another because you don't know what percent infill, what layer thickness, what layer orientation, how many outlines, temp, etc.

But if one person tests two materials at the same time with the same settings, that is a lot more definitive.

It's an incredibly tricky problem because part strength is affected by MANY different parameters (like what rsilvers said). Even limiting it down to one person using one machine with the exact same settings doesn't work since what works for material A may not be the best for material B. Really, the only way to say 'this material is better' is to continue tweaking settings for A until you get the strongest part possible and then do the same for B.