The first layer bend from build plate

Hello

I like to share my small problem, an like to ask for advise please. I do medical equipment development.

for my job tolerance is important, Sometime as the print reach some thickness, the first layer peel up about 1/2-1 mm.

As the printer build the rest, the reference will be higher, so on the end the parts will be smaller than suppose to be. I know, it has someting

to do whit temperature related deformation, the question is, how can I avoided. Please look at the pictures.

Thank you

Dr-J

photo 1 copy.jpg

photo 2 copy.jpg

First step is to make sure bed is level. I have lightly scuffed up my bed with a fine grit sandpaper to take the shine off the white part of perfboard. Also using an ABS/Acetone slurry wiped on to bed will help with adhesion.

I'm having the exact same issue. Where is the bed leveling procedure? I've tried using ABS/Acetone slurry. I've tried enclosing the printer. Parts will eventually fail and detach from the print bed. I've burned through a hole spool of ZABS with very little to show for it. Thanks. 

You have to level by hand.

With the printer shut down turn the Z screw by hand until the nozzle was close to te plate.

Put a creditcard between plate and nozzle.

Move the carriage by hand to the center and corners, using the 3 screws beneath the plate to level.

Keep trying until the feeling of the card touching the nozzle is the same in these four spots.

Leveled the bed. My bed seems doesn't seem to be very flat. Center is bowed up. If I level the perimeter, the nozzle will touch the bed before I can center it. I usually only have warp out toward the edges. The OP pictures look worse then mine.

I'm trying a print now with using a glue stick, and that seems to holding better then abs/acetone, but not completely. Another crude option I've tried was carefully placed paint stir sticks and paper clips in desperation to save a big print. 

Hi somepunk22,

I have experienced similar issues earlier. I believe this could be caused by small pieces of plastic which get stucked between the perforated alu plate and the heated bed. Maybe you should try to clean it following the instructions for the Quick Start Guide.

Leveled the bed. My bed seems doesn't seem to be very flat. Center is bowed up. If I level the perimeter, the nozzle will touch the bed before I can center it. I usually only have warp out toward the edges. The OP pictures look worse then mine.

I'm trying a print now with using a glue stick, and that seems to holding better then abs/acetone, but not completely. Another crude option I've tried was carefully placed paint stir sticks and paper clips in desperation to save a big print. 

I hit the white part of my bed sandpaper.. Just enough to take the shine off. Use fine grit like 320. then wipe clean with Acetone. For Acetone ABS slurry I normally just take a paper towel with Acetone on it and rub it on an old piece of raft. Then smear the sticky on the bed. Just on the white part of bed though.

J33, I guess I missed that part of the manual. I'll give that a try after this print.

Kyle, has the Zortrax team commented on a light sanding? Sounds like it should help. Just curious of their opinion of it. 

Not too sure.. It seems to work better.. I printed a 4x6 short box with little to no warping of the part. The raft never lifted from the bed.683j.jpg

Cleaned out my printbed this morning after last print failed. I was surprised how much material had worked its way under the perf board. This was causing my bowing issue. I modified my model to have a larger raft as well. I guess we'll see in 20 hours... fingers crossed. Thanks for the help.

Made it 1% before raft started lifting. Ugh. 

Hello

Thank you for al your advise, After manual level, and cleaning the build plate, I did an other test.   The result is better, how ever, the deformation is there.

Then I try an other roll of ABS, same brand,but from a closed plastic bag, and guess what, no deformation. Is that possibility, that the ABS has moister inside, and

as it's cool down, shrink more, and pool itself up from build plate? Just a theory, don't know for sure

Dr-J 

Dr-J, what is the ambient temp of your printing area?

I  had the same problems as everyone else who one a zortrax or similar printer base on the same technology.

The first prints just a waste of material with warping and layers not holding together..creating cracks as the piece cooled off.

I have to say tho that since I covered the printer with its transparent plastic bag , in order to keep a higher temp during the long printing times, that definitely avoided the layers not bonding together and also reduced somewhat the warping.

The ambien temperature is 25 c - 27 c .I live in California, and sometime , like last week, we had 37.8 c for 4-5 days. common temp is 26-27

After wasting a full spool I was finally able to keep big parts stuck to the bed. I had to fully enclose the printer with foam and put a large bag over the top to keep in the heat. I'm attempting another print now with just the bag, but I don't know if it will retain enough heat for those big parts. 

I hit the white part of my bed sandpaper.. Just enough to take the shine off. Use fine grit like 320. then wipe clean with Acetone. For Acetone ABS slurry I normally just take a paper towel with Acetone on it and rub it on an old piece of raft. Then smear the sticky on the bed. Just on the white part of bed though.

@Kyle: Do you scuff the bed with sandpaper every time you clean it? Or just one time?

Also, how often do you hit the bed with the slurry? Before every print, or just after cleaning?

Thanks!

My experience.

sandpaper just once

slurry before big prints, only.

Sounds good - Thanks!