Trilobite

I love printing these guys, they are so fun and cute and the model is so good it always prints well!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:60521

It’s completely articulated and can be printed (on a good printer like Zortrax) in one piece. I printed with 10 degree support threshold but no support was generated outside. The raft peeled off beautifully by hand in one sheet, and it only took a very slight flexing to free all the joints. I scaled it 125% but could have gone a bit bigger and still fit in the Zortrax. I used .19mm layers and 100% fan; it took about 7 hours to print. The only downside right now is that Zortrax doesn’t support pause to change colors - the trilobite looks awesome printed in multiple colors.

That looks really cool

It might be the next model I print ! I love it !

And I guess we could spray a little bit of paint on each part differently. That could look good.

Print at 45 degrees Z-axis rotation for maximum size!

[quote name=Julia Truchsess]Print at 45 degrees Z-axis rotation for maximum size!
[/quote]

Good idea ! That’s what I have done with my last dragon. :wink:

Just awesome.

Good job look s very cool

[quote name=Julia Truchsess]I love printing these guys, they are so fun and cute and the model is so good it always prints well!

It’s completely articulated and can be printed (on a good printer like Zortrax) in one piece. I printed with 10 degree support threshold but no support was generated outside. The raft peeled off beautifully by hand in one sheet, and it only took a very slight flexing to free all the joints. I scaled it 125% but could have gone a bit bigger and still fit in the Zortrax. I used .19mm layers and 100% fan; it took about 7 hours to print. The only downside right now is that Zortrax doesn’t support pause to change colors - the trilobite looks awesome printed in multiple colors.

[/quote]

That looks amazingly good Julia. Is that just the way it came out of the printer or did you do some kind of post-printing touchup to blend in the layers? I’m just learning about 3D printing and typical workflows or processes.

Mike

I did zero post-processing of the print, but the lighting conditions of the photo reduced the depth of field of the camera, which is probably helping to conceal the layer lines. Bright green is difficult to photograph since it tends to saturate/overload digital camera sensors, so I turned down the light and opened up the aperture. Nonetheless it did come out great and I could try to take some close-ups with better detail if you like.

EDIT: Here’s a shot showing some layer line detail (sorry about the thread inside my lens!). It really is a great print.

Julia seems to be the only macro photography expert over here ! Good work Julia, this photo shows the amazing quality of the print.

It would be interesting to see the bottom of the print closer, though… I will print it anyway to see… I like the model. Very cute.

[quote name=Julia Truchsess]EDIT: Here’s a shot showing some layer line detail (sorry about the thread inside my lens!). It really is a great print.

[/quote]

Thanks very much Julia for the work process info and especially that closeup. That’s even more impressive than I’d thought. Zortrax seems to have a real winner on their hands here, though I hope they have enough resources to follow up fairly quickly on some of the firmware/software enhancements that have been promised or hinted at. More materials would be nice, too, but it’s probably better to get a few things done completely as opposed to everything 1/4 done.

The more I read and see here, the higher Zortrax goes on the short list.

Mike