"unexpected extruder temperature drop"

Suddenly my printer started to have the "unexpected extruder temperature drop" error.

Firmware 1.0, Z-Suite 1.4.1 Mac.

ABS profile

Printer stops after 3 or 5mm height of printing.

I tried with different models.

No additional hardware mofifications.

Anyone on this?

IMG_2268.JPG

You check the hardware wires? Maybe something has shorted, does it happen with other models as well?

Dying heater cartridge?

Could be a TC issue also.

Maybe try again with FW 0.0.8

Hello Venosa,

now I have exactly the same problem...

I opened a support ticket.

I will let you know if I hear something from Zortrax (but only others than "Bring your printer to your Zortrax reseller"...)

Regards,

Clemens

today it happened to my zortrax too - two prints stopped at the same moment so i thought it should be something to do with the software - anyway i took apart and cleaned the whole hotend, made a new rip of my zcode and used another material (from abs to ultra) - then the next two prints stopped at two different times - coincidence or not, but today i also had a calibration error when calibrating instead of moving up to make contact with the nozzle the bed went down even beyond its limit so the z-axis stepper was forcing the bed through the floor - luckily that didn't happen :) dear zortrax inventors, shouldn't there be limitswitches  on the z-axis? It was quite grinding...anyway,  i cleaned the bed and checked the cables a thousand times - finally i measured any short-circuit with a voltmeter between the upper perforated plate and it's base fixed to the z-axis - and there was a short-circuit at the front bolt that goes through the magnet - so i removed the bolt and it worked again! - i guess when you regulary unscrew the perforated plate and put it back together i.e. to maintain your printed, you can damage the white coating in the boltholes thus you short-circuit the calibration system - in the future i will recoat the boltholes and any scratch on the surface with a heat resistant coating that i yet will have to discover - maybe our dear zortrax inventors can give me a hint? would much appreciate it! So any hints on the temperature drop?

TNX :)

How did you solve the problem Angelo?

How did you solve the problem Angelo?

Ribbon / Heater&Thermocoupler / PCB, hard to say really but I would start from replacing ribbon cable and Heater&Thermocoupler. 

Ribbon / Heater&Thermocoupler / PCB, hard to say really but I would start from replacing ribbon cable and Heater&Thermocoupler. 

Are there any plans to make a better Ribbon Cable in the near future? Those cables are junk and break even if you do everything right with them.

Not an angry post, just looking for information.

Got new thermocouple and heater today. Will install it tomorrow and see if it gets better.

Are there any plans to make a better Ribbon Cable in the near future? Those cables are junk and break even if you do everything right with them.

USB_3.0_20-Pin_Male_to_Female_Internal_Extension_Cable_(60cm)__19536_zoom.jpg

Worth a try?

attachicon.gifUSB_3.0_20-Pin_Male_to_Female_Internal_Extension_Cable_(60cm)__19536_zoom.jpg

Worth a try?

Do you think they will actually work? I have had some bad experiences with cables that have the right connectors but are not wired properly. 

Edit: I just realized the connector type for that picture is wrong... 

-NS

It's already V4, we are trying to improve it but since the cable is exposed to bending, it often cracks inside. 

You can use [url=http://library.zortrax.com/project/zortrax-m200-filament-tube-fastener-v5/]Filament tube fastener[/url], it should prevent cable being bent that hard. 

Thermocouple and heater replaced. Everything works well. My life is perfect again.

It's already V4, we are trying to improve it but since the cable is exposed to bending, it often cracks inside. 

You can use Filament tube fastener, it should prevent cable being bent that hard. 

Unfortunately I know all too well how fast these cables can break even in the perfect condition for the M200. My cable has 3 "fasteners" right now keeping the cable as constrained as possible, but I can see the bend right at the connector on the PCB and I know that will be where it breaks in the coming months. Ribbon cables are not made to flex and that is exactly how they are being used. 

I have seen a lot of printers and tested quite a few of them, I know that they can be a nightmare for tech support because of the people they are being sold to (mostly people who have absolutely no background in design or production). At one point I was part of that group too but I had the mentality of "I am the one breaking it and I need to change how I am working on it" so I learned quickly and with less hassle. Getting to the point though, no printer is ever a finished product. The M200, much like every other printer, will never have a final version because of how this market evolves. The current V4 printers are more then a market ready printer, obviously, but does this mean there cannot be a V5 Extruder cable which breaks less often (which would also bring up the reputation of the printer and company)?

The mods exist because there is a gap in the ability of the printer that needs to be filled for any number of reasons and this also apply's to the M200. Zortrax as a company should be proud of the fact that there are mods which allow people to run almost any material in the market on their machine. The platform they have created is so stable that even out side of their comfort zone the printer excels.

At the moment my printer is running some PLA without issue, and it is going to keep running without issue because of 3 factors.

1: a solid printer 

2: a high quality mod

3: high quality material

I would post a picture of my setup in regards to keeping the ribbon cable from bending but I know what may happen if I show my machine, which is part of the ongoing problem.

-NS

Unfortunately I know all too well how fast these cables can break even in the perfect condition for the M200. My cable has 3 "fasteners" right now keeping the cable as constrained as possible, but I can see the bend right at the connector on the PCB and I know that will be where it breaks in the coming months. Ribbon cables are not made to flex and that is exactly how they are being used. 

I have seen a lot of printers and tested quite a few of them, I know that they can be a nightmare for tech support because of the people they are being sold to (mostly people who have absolutely no background in design or production). At one point I was part of that group too but I had the mentality of "I am the one breaking it and I need to change how I am working on it" so I learned quickly and with less hassle. Getting to the point though, no printer is ever a finished product. The M200, much like every other printer, will never have a final version because of how this market evolves. The current V4 printers are more then a market ready printer, obviously, but does this mean there cannot be a V5 Extruder cable which breaks less often (which would also bring up the reputation of the printer and company)?

The mods exist because there is a gap in the ability of the printer that needs to be filled for any number of reasons and this also apply's to the M200. Zortrax as a company should be proud of the fact that there are mods which allow people to run almost any material in the market on their machine. The platform they have created is so stable that even out side of their comfort zone the printer excels.

At the moment my printer is running some PLA without issue, and it is going to keep running without issue because of 3 factors.

1: a solid printer 

2: a high quality mod

3: high quality material

I would post a picture of my setup in regards to keeping the ribbon cable from bending but I know what may happen if I show my machine, which is part of the ongoing problem.

-NS

You forgot another reason,

4. Experience and common sense of the user (you)

My suggestion for Zortrax team is to choose a ribbon cable made with silicone cables.

Silicone cables are extremely soft and do not crack, they can held 200° C temperature .

It cost more , it will be a little thicker and I guess you will need to made it custom but it would be a good solution for the ribbon cable failures.