Using Shell or Mesh Settings

I've been doing some printing for a cosplay/gaming type of character.

Not my thing, I don't play video games and HATE fancy dress, but hey it pays the bills.

I slice the attached print into 3 pieces and scale to 85%, and it's 30 hours in HIPS/0.29/loose fill.

I ran the slicer in the "shell" setting and it was 7-8 hours, but there was no surface at the tops of the parts.

Using the "mesh" setting took it down to 20 hours and it all looked watertight on the screen.

Does anyone use the mesh setting much?

Does it affect warping/splitting positively or negatively?

Pros/cons?

Obviously 10 hours less is a lot quicker.

I'm printing one now with loose infill, and might try the mesh one after that.

Hello,

you can use mesh only when you have drawn some thickness to the outer structure (mantle) of your gun. I got good results when drawing a thickness of 0,9mm. As a result the the inside of the object is hollow, thats the reason why printing time is shorter.

Depending on object and orientation ist might be difficult to print in mesh.

To get some solidity I would print the gun with infill.

regards

Andi

Hobbymods , you can consider print hollow objects and then fill them with polyurethane foam.

A guy I know  that create Cosplay objects use this technique a lot.

Thank you both.

I can't draw anything into this file, as it is an stl generated from a video game (the latest thing they're all doing apparently).

Goldenage. The wall thickness, if that's what you're referring to, is quite thick already it seems. I guess I can just try and see how it goes.

Lucamac. Yes I have seen a few articles about vacuum injecting foam/resin/etc into prints. Looks interesting.

I can’t look at your model now but I’m using a lot of mesh setting.

I usually use on solid models, the purpose of mesh settings is hollow your solid and calculate the walls. It also compensates the walls thickness, thicker only where needed.

On big models helps on warping as you have less mass.

Depending on geometry you can have problem on top surfaces if it can’t be supported or bridged.

(I can’t write clear in English tonight, sorry… I’m a little tired)

I can't look at your model now but I'm using a lot of mesh setting.

I usually use on solid models, the purpose of mesh settings is hollow your solid and calculate the walls. It also compensates the walls thickness, thicker only where needed.

On big models helps on warping as you have less mass.

Depending on geometry you can have problem on top surfaces if it can’t be supported or bridged.

(I can’t write clear in English tonight, sorry… I’m a little tired)

Thank you!

So flat top surfaces are an issue "if it can't be supported or bridged"....I guess a test print is the only way to find out.

Mesh fill didn't work for this file, not enough support.

I really wish Zortrax would do a coarser infill setting.

Is an organic or technical/geometric model?

You could hollow it in Netfabb or Meshmixer and adding (modeling) the inner support.

Is an organic or technical/geometric model?

You could hollow it in Netfabb or Meshmixer and adding (modeling) the inner support.

I'm sorry that's way outside my paygrade, lol

Since the gun must be split anyway I would suggest that you print the barrel with its nose pointing onto the building platform. So basically the printer has to print kind of a cylinder that needs no support.

regards

Andi