Warping during larger prints

Hi Everyone, 

I have been getting some great prints with my printer,

but when it comes to the bigger parts, I have been getting major warping.

I have calibrated the platform, have tightened xy pulleys, and platform is clean before print.

I dont want to put the printer in a bad reputation, so I have an unlisted youtube time-lapse of the print I am talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=408B0GiO8sU

Now, I do have the sides closed of partly.

-I had glue (gluestick) on the platform,

-The part where the front right corner is back down, I put a tiny bit of super glue, but that didnt do much.

-I have not tried the abs slurry.

Would having better enclosed sides, and slurry do much for my problem?

Does the fan speed on automatic cause this problem? or the layer height even?

The only other problem I would think is the filament itself.

Also, during calibration, the middle was a tiny bit higher than the rest, yet it is clean beneath the board, and there is no bend I can see..

I will trouble shoot in this order:

1) try the slurry

2) try a different spool of filament

4) change layer height and fan speed

5) build a better encloser

6) go back to wood carving XD (just kidding)

I will keep this thread updated as I try the same print with different methods.

If anyone has had this experience after troubleshooting most of these, and now has nice prints, please help!

Thanks!

Jack

What i would do.

1: Rough upp surface on platform abit with sandpaper.

2: Use ABS slurry.

3: Fan off or 20%

What i would do.

1: Rough upp surface on platform abit with sandpaper.

2: Use ABS slurry.

3: Fan off or 20%

Hello Trhuster,

I have roughed up the board I think after reading a comment you had put actually a while ago =]

I will try the abs slurry, and fan at off first.

Thank you!

I think you are not putting enough glue on the platform. I load mine up and no issues unless there is none. A "little bit" just doesn't cut it. You need enough so that if you put your hand on the platform it will get all gooey. lol 

Don't be afraid to goo it up, the more the merrier, it will always wipe off with the scraper or water. 

I always check my platform to make sure it isn't warped like some do (been perfect). I tried the slurry and to me it don't do shit!, but glue is great and scraps off easy when dried and when warmed a wet rag pulls it off. 

I did a print the other day out of the normal print area for me and it warped so I dabbed it up with glue in that spot and perfect. 

Just my opinion but I think a bit more glue and you will be a happy camper.

Cheers

Office grade paper glue also working but not liquid glue

At first please follow this steps: http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/483-tips-tricks-warping-issue-solution/

Please make sure that your platform is properly leveled - I can not see it good enough to be sure, but it looks like first layer is too high on the front of the printer. Please do not use super glue, it may damage perforated platform or make it impossible to detach from aluminum plate.

for quick&easy i use abs-slurry raft-gluing-points while printing:

anti_warping_01.jpg

anti_warping_03.jpg

anti_warping_04.jpg

first of all check and see if your bed is flat, then check and see if it is level manually it is looking to me like your bed is low on one side , when you start your print take a photograph of the raft to see if on the problem side is thicker, if so the bed is low on that side, one sure way to make sure your prints sticks after the printer lays down the first layer of raft pause the print wipe the raft down with acetone and then proceed the acetone will help bond abs to the platform.

One more thing keep your bed clean even the oils from your hands can be a factor.

Now, I do have the sides closed of partly.

-I had glue (gluestick) on the platform,

-The part where the front right corner is back down, I put a tiny bit of super glue, but that didnt do much.

-I have not tried the abs slurry.

If anyone has had this experience after troubleshooting most of these, and now has nice prints, please help!

Thanks!

Jack

Hey Jack.. Are you sure you put glue on the bed and not grease?? J/K.. I'm thinking you had too much glue.. I would start by cleaning perf board again.. Get ALL the glue off.. Try ABS slurry.. Don't need a lot.. Just a thin film..

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the support on this forum!

Another problem that has occurred was a split in one of my layers mid print. Just a crack going through my part.

I think I need to have the bed better calibrated and evened out.

Filip, Thank you for that link, I have followed that guide.

Gadgetstogo, that is actually a good idea, I will definitely try that, thank you.

Kyle, I think I did use too much glue, I went overboard, or maybe it still wasnt enough =p. I have sanded the bed, and now I am going to level the bed using the paper method in each corner.

I will give an update for my result.

Did you have the front covered too?  Is your printer in a cold room?

I don't use glue or slurry and I rarely have any issue with prints lifting anymore.  Enclosing each side and making sure the bed is perfectly level helped a lot.  Sometimes you can tell that one side is lower or higher when the printer is making the first layer of raft and make minor adjustments then.

Hi guys,

The6uest, i just printed a new part with all sides closed and bed leveled and sanded as best as i can.

I have an almost perfect print except for raft leaving table just a tad.

I didnt use glye or slurry so there is that. The room is 72 F.

Here are the results. Thank you:

http://i.imgur.com/XQl9J1a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kdCkpPA.jpg

I will keep this updated when i make another large print.

Thanks again guys

Others here have more experience, but you might to design fillets into those sharp inside corners.  That might decreases stress a bit.

Mike

Others here have more experience, but you might to design fillets into those sharp inside corners.  That might decreases stress a bit.

Mike

Never really thought of that, I will give that a go next time. Cheers,

Jack