went to the nyc 3d print expo this morning and bought a new machine

I went to the expo and had a chance to see a lot of new machines. .i went with the intention of buying an sla machine but fell in love with the new UP fdm …its really beautiful, huge build volume and the resolution was absolutely fantastic…it was cheap too so i pulled the trigger and pre ordered…should arrive in a month…the quality is as good as if not better than the mojo and it was 1800 bucks…ill still buy a sla but didnt like the form 1 and the titan 1 wasnt there.

I really don’t get you… :smiley:

You whine our ears off that single extruder FDM sucks for your jewelry application and then you buy another one…?

Did you buy the new UP BOX 3d printer?

Curious what you've found in the UP 3D box printer that you aren't able to get from your M200?

*Personal Opinion ship dead ahead, keep course*

500 gran spools... no thanks. I loved the UP Plus and I am partial the the UP plus 2, but the new Box is just insane. *Lets make the new machine that  has a much bigger build space, then lets make all of our spool sizes 30% smaller!* It just makes no sense at all, add to that they ignore the heavy contributors who helped build the name and improve the design of UP! back in the beginning. The people who gave their time and expertise essentially for free to just be ignored would be counterproductive. Don't get me wrong I want to see what the machine has to offer, being it is an UP machine, however at the same time this is the drum beat that tends to create bad machines.

Please keep us informed as to what the machine is like, I would like to know what I am going to be working with soon.

-Michael

you just needed to be at the sbow to see

*Opinion*

I was at a show with one here in Santa Clara, to be more specific I was here with 2 machines that were "Operational" not a single model was produced between them all prints failed even with some basic models produced on an UP. Ill give them the benefit of the doubt and say those were two of maybe 10 machines in the world at the time and they were beta machines. However if the beta machine does not work with even basic functions why the push to promote it as if it was ready? Refine it, don't do what Makerbot did, a higher quality machine pushes every company to step it up. Zortrax is on its way to being the top of FDM as long as they stay competitive and not rely on just the name to carry them to the finish line. 

That week I mentioned happened to be the same week we got our first Zortrax, at times it has been a rough road dealing with Zortrax but all parties are starting to work together and the product's are top notch. I may be very cynical and aggressive at times but it is only because I want to see these printer companies and people produce the products they are capable of and not just try to make the most money possible by using cheap components and cutting corners.

-Michael

Well, before buying the Zortrax I read through several forums over many months, also in forums where brand new printers are discussed. The very reason I did not buy any printer earlier is that all of them did not work the way they were advertized. I mean its normal that there are some bugs and minor or even bigger troubles with a new technology, but the longer I read from catastrophic failures - even with components that should be well developed, such as mechanics - the more I was sure that this was nothing I would spend my bucks for ;)

While I agree that it can be very interesting to experiment with nozzles, materials, temperatures and god knows what kind of settings, I do know that I, personally,  will not make the 3D printing my hobby, I want the printer as a tool, in the same way as I use my CNC mill or any screwdriver as a tool.  As far as I know the Zortrax is top notch here, given quality and price.

So maybe the times where the consumer is more or less the beta-tester for new 3D machines are gone. But I am sceptical :)

However let us know how it works.

regards

Andi

I agree with Newbie. Been building and using delta style printers. As a kit, for the price, they outperform. But there is constant tinkering, calibrating, etc. Wanted one that just worked. Got the Makerbut 2X. Couldn't get a decent print for three days. Sent it back. I looked around again at all the printers, FDM and SLA's, and didn't feel that they wouldn't be another hobby machine with all the necessary tinkering and unbearable number of failed prints. I saw the Zortrax, read the reviews on 3D Hub. Pulled the trigger. Unboxed it. Plugged the same model into the Zortrax and it printed perfectly. I've had this Zortrax for a week without one failed print. Not one! And I'm ok with the restrictions it comes with such as ABS only. I only print in ABS. 

Was the Cubicon Single there ?

It's another fully enclosed printer like the UP Box

we saw it at the iMakr unveiling... not so impressed... some nice features that could draw attention to the non so experienced users, but nothing more IMHO...

How does the print quality compare to the Zortrax ?

the didnt print live... and they only had ONE print sample at that time, not impressive at all but just 1 sample says nothing...

I went to the expo and had a chance to see a lot of new machines. .i went with the intention of buying an sla machine but fell in love with the new UP fdm ..its really beautiful, huge build volume and the resolution was absolutely fantastic...it was cheap too so i pulled the trigger and pre ordered...should arrive in a month...the quality is as good as if not better than the mojo and it was 1800 bucks...ill still buy a sla but didnt like the form 1 and the titan 1 wasnt there.

Hey, did you happen to check out the MoonRay by SprintRay when you were at the show? Their DLP SLA is launching on Kickstarter on Tuesday and was wondering what the prints looked like in person.

The also say they are delivering this December, which seems very aggressive to me. If they are going to make that, they must have some manufacturing already done in some form or another. Their prototype machines look nice.

I've purchased a Cubicon and it's actually pretty good. I'm using it for PLA only. It does print ABS but it's not as good as the Zortrax (what is).

I've purchased a Cubicon and it's actually pretty good. I'm using it for PLA only. It does print ABS but it's not as good as the Zortrax (what is).

Hope you have better luck then I did with the cubicon. Had mine a week and the extruder started jamming and then nothing would stick to the build plate. Ended up return for the zortrax. Hated there software and there customer support is the worst.

How does the print quality compare to the Zortrax ?

The cubicon print quality was good. Before returning mine due to problems In a week the prints where stringy