What do people do with empty spools?

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering, what do people do with all their empty spools? Do people extrude their own filament and put them on? or shred the empty spools and turn that into filament? (no idea what plastic the spools are)

Interested to hear what people do!

Cheers,

Philip

I save mine and transfer different filament on it so I don't have to change the bearings or spool holders when I use filament like color fabb or protopasta. 

Extra ones I recycle.

I throw them away. :ph34r:

I throw them away. :ph34r:

You a bad bad man!  :P

They don't have recycling where you're at?

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering, what do people do with all their empty spools? Do people extrude their own filament and put them on? or shred the empty spools and turn that into filament? (no idea what plastic the spools are)

Interested to hear what people do!

Cheers,

Philip

Keep a few to respool filament if it is bad spooled (need to create some kind of device to make it eassier to spool to another spool). used a few to spool coax cable en cat 5e cable on it. rest i recycle, have a plastic recycle container at home for plastic.

I have to admit I feel guilty throwing them away (we go through 16 to 24 rolls a month) and wish there was an easy solution to ship the filament without a spool but if it's not easy, cheap and reliable it'll never happen. I'd like to see a Zortrax "pellet" printer that used raw Z-ABS beads that shipped in bags and didn't require a spool but oh what a pain in the neck for changing colors or materials that would be.

I have to admit I feel guilty throwing them away (we go through 16 to 24 rolls a month) and wish there was an easy solution to ship the filament without a spool but if it's not easy, cheap and reliable it'll never happen. I'd like to see a Zortrax "pellet" printer that used raw Z-ABS beads that shipped in bags and didn't require a spool but oh what a pain in the neck for changing colors or materials that would be.

Interestingly HP actually patented the concept of using a screw extruder to go straight from pellets to printing without using the filament intermediary. Stratyses, being the wonderful company they are, bought out the patent just to kill the concept. However, like you mentioned with color, there were a number of issues that would have prevented this being used in "at home" printers, though it had great potential for industry.