What the hell with the burning!!

I have had the printer for a week now, first printer arrived and died when the extruder starting heating, replacement printer arrived next day, annoying but sorted out quickly at least.

So the second printer the LED lights fell off on the first long print job!! seriously!!

Overall very happy with the print quality BUT, what is going on with the burning!!??  I have been running 3D printers for 3 years and can never once remember getting burn marks!!  but it doesn't make sense its not like the print head is pausing and causing the burning, just every now and then it seems to smear a burn mark.  Seems to be worst on Z-ABS, but also a small amount on Z-ULTRAT.

So how do I fix this I see some mentioning a dual fan mod, does this actually help? I keep the nozzle nice and clean right before the print so not much more I can do there!

Other observation, Z-suite needs more options and ability to view slice layer by layer, also it is dog slow vs cura!! I really hope they work on that.

If I can't get the burning sorted it's going to have to be sent back, no point having a great quality print if it looks like shit!

You can view the slice layer-by-layer, but it's not obvious. After slicing, click the "pause" icon for the pause-insertion UI. There you'll find a slider that will let you scroll through the layers.

Thanks very helpful, so my next issue confirmed because I can now see the layers.....

Fairly thin wall prints a single shell at either side and leaves a gap between bigger than the single wall, doesn't matter what infill settings I make.

Ok I get restricting some print options because the materials are open source but some more control is needed over the print of the model.

Getting more annoyed, was looking forward to trying the model on the zortrax http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:45316however in shell mode it won't print the top of the cylinders. Again slicer is not good enough!!

Getting more annoyed, was looking forward to trying the model on the zortrax http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:45316however in shell mode it won't print the top of the cylinders. Again slicer is not good enough!!

Why not just print with full or solid and turn off support???

Without pics, we really can't tell what kind of burning issue you are having.

Usually it has to do with not cleaning the nozzle of material or an uneven bed causing the nozzle to run into the print and burn the material, but can't see so don't know. lol

Good luck

Me too! Same burn issues. If I keep printing the same thing over and over the burn marks are less. I think it is a thin wall or steepness issue. I get it on z ultrat too. It's not the nozzle. I can't print any higher than light cuz print time is too long for me. 

Why not just print with full or solid and turn off support???

Not really the point, the printer is capable or printing that way and most other slicers can slice this as a shell print properly.

Without pics, we really can't tell what kind of burning issue you are having.

Usually it has to do with not cleaning the nozzle of material or an uneven bed causing the nozzle to run into the print and burn the material, but can't see so don't know. lol

Good luck

Has done it from new, and the nozzle can't be cleaner than that + I try to keep it clean often..... bed is levelled fine as per calibration.....  sometimes it will burn on fine details sometimes it will randomly do it on a large object side.

White ULTRAT is the worst, but I see no burning at all on Red ULTRAT and non on BLUE ULTRAT although it would be more difficult to spot on this colour.

Sky Blue ABS has as much burning issues as White ULTRAT, Gray ABS on the other hand is fine and you would definitely be able to see burning on that because it is quite light.

So I am starting to think that it is maybe something in certain filaments, possibly contamination?

Still don't see any pics of the issue at hand. You can keep talking but without visuals, it is kinda hard to pinpoint anything for you. Ohwell

Here's a pic. I'm also getting tons of burning ruining my prints.

Should I exchange/return my printer? Its ruining my prints alot.......no solution from support 

More...

After a long print the nozzle is sometimes black with oxidized material. If you build objects that warp, the nozzle will hit/get close to the object at different points and some material will accumulate on the nozzle, and will then be deposited on another place as "burn marks". If you take a straight edge over a flat printed object you will see that its not completely flat, and the nozzle distance will vary during printing. The burnmarks on your models seems normal to me and not excessive, I wouldn't bother.

Of course a clogged nozzle or feed tube will cause burnmarks as well, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

After a long print the nozzle is sometimes black with oxidized material. If you build objects that warp, the nozzle will hit/get close to the object at different points and some material will accumulate on the nozzle, and will then be deposited on another place as "burn marks". If you take a straight edge over a flat printed object you will see that its not completely flat, and the nozzle distance will vary during printing. The burnmarks on your models seems normal to me and not excessive, I wouldn't bother.

Of course a clogged nozzle or feed tube will cause burnmarks as well, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Thanks for the reply, but nothing to do with the level of the top layer.....  and yes the burn marks are excessive, I don't get any burn marks at all on any other printers.

It is definitely material specific, the sky blue the other user posted being the biggest culprit, but a print right after with cool grey or red for example shows no burning.  I wonder if all the different colour pigments don't have the same resistance to temperature.

Also note that the burning does not specifically happen at the end of a print, it can be anywhere, it does not specifically occur and layer start or end points or change of nozzle direction/travel points, and quite often will appear right in the middle of a large flat solid.

i used white ultrat and get burn marks on the flat areas.

i know my nozzle does not clog

i dont see it on other colors

Here's a pic. I'm also getting tons of burning ruining my prints.

Should I exchange/return my printer? Its ruining my prints alot.......no solution from support 

The Z nozzle does accumulate carbon and drop it into the print more than some other printers, but then the Zortrax also does a much better print than MOST other printers.

A little care before starting a print will minimize this.

I always scape/brush the nozzle clean as it heats up, then use a big of kitchen paper with acetone on it in a twisting motion to clean it and the contact pad on the board just before kick off.

That little bit of care makes all the difference.

A lot of people here run the twin fan mod as well, which I swear by.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:619003

Hello everybody,

Im using the Z-Temp Nozzle and now I have no burning marks !!!

awesome..what r your setting for z-ultrat ?

Z-Ultrat

0,9 mm

Normal speed

infill: solid

Fan-Speed: Auto