wrapping on large print :(

Same pb as many of us when trying to print a large thin part : The raft is perfectly stuck on the bed plate (thanks' to ABS juce) BUT the part itself and mostly the supports ripped off, even after few time print (2 or 3 hours over 8).

mini_647529P6242018.jpg

mini_356660P6242020.jpg

mini_735012P6242023.jpg

I have no panels, but the room T° is around 24°C.

ABS - 0,14mm - full infill ("solid")

Supports "light".

top & bottom surfaces : 6 layers

May "normal" supports improve the print stuck on raft ?

I need a material with high mechanical properties, so Z-ABS & Z-Ultrat seems the only ones usable.

The part will also be long time exposed to UV rays so Z-Hips is not suitable.

I do wonder how to solve this pb of wrapping as I also have a gear box case to print which will take +30h... :unsure: .

I will try in Z-Ultrat, but I am not really confident with the result...

Hello there zeb,

First of all I suggest you to turn off the light support option and get back to the default setting in here.

Second, did you change anything in the fan speed and did you check if its working properly?

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Yes, I will turn off the "light" option for supports.

About fan speed, I always let it on automatic as until now it worked correctly.

Hello Zeb, what I would do is to make a "sacrificial" ring around the part about 1mm thick (so it`s easy to remove afterwards). As the ring is thin, it won`t warp as much and will help to hold the part down as there is a large area binding to the raft via the support structure. I did something similar, it worked quite well. It will warp a little, but that is unavoidable due to the nature of the material.

Hello Motordude,

... This is a good idea... but I see a pb with this method: when I will remove/cut the sacrificial ring from the part I will obtain a non consistent surface. I mean as the solid infill is not 100% full, my part will show some opening which are not waterproof. I also worry  about strength of the part in this area..

Maybe some Acetone and/or ABS juice can solve these pb.

Anyway, thanks' for helping.

Due to the thickness of the sacrificial plate (0.5-1mm), I think it will be full infill no matter if you select light infill in Z-Suite. The "skin" of the part would not open up even if you cut away the ring. You could test it, make a small model with a ring and section it, then you would see what it looks like! I didn't see an opening in my part, but must admit I wasn't looking very carefully either!

I have no panels, but the room T° is around 24°C.

ambient temp is 2nd important factor, it's mostly about air flow and every ambient air that flows around your part will cool it down.

Make some panels out of cartoon and try light infill no fan, support lite.

If you see no difference then listen to others, otherwise you can get to the result you want step by step modifying the infill if needed. :)

Hi Motordude thank you for your valuable info !!!!

I have the same issue as described above.

I have build my own heating chamber (600x800x1200mm) from an old dining room cabinet.

It does have a electrical heater and an (natural) air inlet with filter and a ventilator with exhaust to cool down the chamber if necessary.

And a fire protection unit.

The temperature inside is around 35°C. Until now I have never used the heating and ventilator because it only starts above 40°C

So all for nothing I would say - but sometimes I use the spare place in the cabinet to let dry fresh painted parts (There is mostly enough place  :) )

But what's the ideal temp for printing ABS ? Or should I say it different what's the temperature inside when printing ABS with the panels.

Because I think the filters let to much air in/out the chamber

Hi Motordude thank you for your valuable info !!!!

I have the same issue as described above.

I have build my own heating chamber (600x800x1200mm) from an old dining room cabinet.

It does have a electrical heater and an (natural) air inlet with filter and a ventilator with exhaust to cool down the chamber if necessary.

And a fire protection unit.

The temperature inside is around 35°C. Until now I have never used the heating and ventilator because it only starts above 40°C

So all for nothing I would say - but sometimes I use the spare place in the cabinet to let dry fresh painted parts (There is mostly enough place  :) )

But what's the ideal temp for printing ABS ? Or should I say it different what's the temperature inside when printing ABS with the panels.

Because I think the filters let to much air in/out the chamber

Hello Dirk, I don't worry to much about the temperature. I have a large cardbordbox that I keep the printer inside, and some cardboard doors fixed with tape for easy access to the printer. It looks ridiculous, but it works. It holds the heat quite well, and warping is less that leaving it in free air. Don't expect miracles, ABS will warp anyway due to the nature of the material!

The room temperature is around 24°C, and you’re using ABS with a 0.14mm layer height and a full infill (“solid”). The supports are set to “light,” and you have 6 layers for the top and bottom surfaces. You’re considering using normal supports to improve adhesion to the raft.

Given your need for high mechanical properties and the exposure to UV rays, it seems like Z-ABS and Z-Ultrat are the only suitable materials.

I understand your concern, especially with a gearbox case that will take over 30 hours to print. Trying Z-Ultrat is a good idea, but you’re not entirely confident in the result.

Printing large, thin parts can be challenging, and adhesion issues are common. You might want to consider a few strategies to improve your prints:

Enclosure: Create an enclosure around your 3D printer to maintain a stable temperature. This can help reduce warping issues with ABS.

Brims or Larger Rafts: Increasing the size of the raft or using a brim can provide better adhesion to the bed and help prevent warping.

Slow Printing Speed: Reducing the print speed can sometimes help with adhesion and reduce the chances of parts detaching.

Cooling: Adjust the cooling settings to minimize temperature differences between layers, which can contribute to wrapping.

Bigger Nozzle: If your 3D printer allows it, consider using a larger nozzle. A larger nozzle can lay down more material, which can help with adhesion.

Regular Maintenance: Ensure your 3D printer is well-calibrated, and the bed is level. Regular maintenance can prevent issues.

Experiment: It’s a good idea to try different combinations of settings, materials, and support structures to find what works best for your specific parts.