X-axis layer shifting. Over, over and over again

Spoke too soon: have lost half a kg of material to layer shifts in the last two days… and lost two days…

WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK!

Hi @OliverK,

we are terribly sorry to hear about the issues you are facing. Still, it seems you have not contacted our support department yet. Please, fill in the support form, so we can provide further assistance and troubleshoot the problem.

Hi @KarolinaZortrax,

Thank you for the suggestion, I have been in touch with my local reseller for a few weeks.

The M300 Dual does so many things really, really well, but it has a handful of flaws that completely undermine it. It’s a real shame.

Hello everyone.

Many of you are experiencing the problem of belt misalignment.

After several months of research I think I found a solution that is not obvious, but that works. (at least for me).

During the maintenance process of the axes explained by Zortrax in their support, there is a point that I think is very important, but that many people tend to forget. (me first :joy:).

It is the belt tension. But be careful, you have to check the tension on the top and on the bottom of the belt. When tightening the belt(s), the tension on the top or bottom may not be the same. Too tight on the bottom or too tight on the top.

The process that solves this problem is the step of running a piece of tape through the belt sprocket. (as explained in the Zortrax process). Putting this tape on will cause a tooth on the side that is too tight to pop out.

For me, it instantly solved my problem.

I look forward to your feedback.

3 Likes

This step also solved my problem once. But I really don’t see the principle behind it.

500 hours and x axis is layer shifting on my m300 dual.

So frustrating. At the price, I thought the m300 dual would be a high quality plug and play machine. Very disappointed.

My m200 has been running constantly for years and showed its first layer shift only very recently.

Hi everyone!
Judging by the fact that no one has told about the successful solution of this problem, it still exists.
I want to share my sad experience with my printer.
The basis of the story is the same as everyone else’s. We bought a printer for the company, it worked successfully for 3-4 months, after which problems with shifted layers began. I started contacting the support service. At first, they started to stuff me with links to their website with various service procedures. Then they said that it might be necessary to adjust the voltage on the motherboard, then they sent new motors. None of this helped. We decided to send them a printer for a detailed study. It took about a month and a half during which we managed to buy a Chinese printer, which by the way works just fine and is 5 times faster.
The report after the service said that they were unable to identify a problem with the printer. After receiving the printer, the first print had offset layers. It’s hard to convey in cultural words how upset and angry I am.

Thanks for your attention!

I have had a similar experience with our M300 Dual. It has issues with layer shifting, part lift off the bed, part lift off the raft, separation of layers, material endstop multiple times and the hotend jam sensor failing. I have had multiple conversations with Zortrax Support, and usually just get pointed at the online help pages.

For the layer shifting, we had luck by loosening the self-aligning bearings. Before, the extruder was hard to move around by hand in the x and y directions with the printer powered off, but after loosening slightly, it is able to move freely to the 4 corners of its range of motion. I think the friction from the rails was causing the motor to skip and layer shift to occur before. The other thing we have done is to turn on Low feedrate in the settings.