Z-ABS Recycling

When I look at how many good prints I get per spool, I think it would take 6 months or longer to get enough bad parts and raft to make maybe 1 full spool..

I am curious if anyone had tried fusing two pieces of ABS together with acetone? Not sure if the use of acetone would cause the abs to burn in the hotness and clog. 

Thought it could be useful with the left over filament on the spools. I know I had two failed prints because of a big hard club of filament in middle of spools and figured that was where they fused it together but not sure what they used. 

*Personal Opinion*

It is possible to use Acetone to fuse ABS and yes a lot of people use it (I prefer MEK but it is harder to come by). Please remember that anything you add the the filament that you are going to grind up and re-extrude is changing the prosperity's of said filament, you are never going to get anywhere close to a good spool with +20% regrind, and wasting 4 fresh spools and mixing in the equivalent of 1 is just a waste in my eyes. Sorry to be blunt about it, but I have seen so many people have bad experiences with re-extruded filament, and heard from so many filament manufactures how difficult it can be to get a working material even with virgin material that it seems like this notion of home manufacturing filament is just ridicules.

I suppose if you are dead set on this path then I would like to see how it turns out. 

-Michael

Recycler

I am laughing at the hand wench to grind up the plastic. lmao  You figure for that price it would at least be electronic. Then again if you really wanted to recycle then using all that extra electricity is kinda a waste. ha

I have been reading around a some make filament from scraps and I hadn't read any real issues with it but I do understand and I have posted about it, that heating of the material so many times changes its properties. I am guessing it would be best to make a different type of material with the scraps by adding in another fresh material.

Its worth a try I guess.

I know my Extruder will be a bit as I need some dental work before I spend 600 on parts for it.

Although Filastruder told me their machine can be turned up to over 300c if you change the power modular.

Now for 500 bucks (thats with a spool winder) and having to spend and modify and still look like  bad science project is not worth the time.

I am getting like Zortrax. hahaha "Soon!"

Interesting, though with what Michael said I'm not sure it's worth the effort dealing with regrind. 

As far as the manual grinder goes, it makes quite a bit of sense; grinders require very pricey high torque motors. Why not just do it by hand?

It is interesting to note that now the price of recycled abs filaments is much lower than the price of regular abs. It’s about 12 dollars per kg, is worth trying. At the same time, you may not be able to guarantee 100% of your printing effect.