Z-HIPS and Z-ABS vs Acetone

Z-HIPS is not really affected... Last pic is after rubbing with finger when I thought Acetone had evaporated.. or14Bo.jpguppZhj.jpgZSMKXT.jpgpq3ZlR.jpgHv8lv5.jpg

hmm somewhere I read that HIPS could be vapor bathed in Acetone just like ABS :/

Wanting to order some ZHips but after seeing kyle's liquid coolaid acetone test, I'm guessing this will only be bond-able with something like Weld-on.  I'm curious if anyone can chime in on Zhips post sand-ability and ZUltrat for that matter.  Is it generally easy to work with like Zabs is?  Is ZUltrat able to be bonded or glued together with Acetone?

Wanting to order some ZHips but after seeing kyle's liquid coolaid acetone test, I'm guessing this will only be bondable with something like Weld-on.  I'm curious if anyone can chime in on it's post sand-ability.  Is it generally easy to work with like Zabs is?  Is ZUltrat able to be bonded or glued together with Acetone?

ZUltrat will glue with Acetone. Haven't tried sanding yet.. I think Weld-on will work.. It says Styrene on the can.. I'll try it..

I suggest to everyone if possible not to use Acetone but MEK , Methyl ethyl ketone.

It works much better .

from wikipedia "

<span>As a plastic welding agent</span>

As butanone dissolves polystyrene and many other plastics, it is sold as "model cement" for use in connecting parts of scale model kits. Though often considered an adhesive, it is actually functioning as a welding agent in this context.

I suggest to everyone if possible not to use Acetone but MEK , Methyl ethyl ketone.

It works much better .

from wikipedia "

Just be aware that MEK is much, much more toxic than acetone. It is a known carcinogen while acetone is not.

Mek as far as I know is not carcinogen, no mention in safety data sheets where it has only the symbol irritant, not the toxic one.

Allowed air concentration is three times less than acetone but it is still a low toxicity solvent.

Vent the room where you use solvents , if it is not possible, use a mask with carbon filters for maximum safety.

Acetone and Mek evaporate very fast so you might reach air concentration limits sooner than you think.

According to this MSDS MEK, is not a listed carcinogen, but it is fairly toxic.  Mostly it seems to attack the central nervous system, skin, mucous membranes, and eyes so even a respirator doesn't protect you completely.

http://www.princeton.edu/prism/mnfl/current-users/safety/msds/Methyl%20ethyl%20ketone.pdf

Mike