Z-HIPS vs Z-ULTRAT and fine detail quality in prints.

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this forum as I am to 3D printing. Got my m200 just after Christmas and have been experimenting with different models, filaments and settings. The picture below shows the same STL printed in Z-ULTRAT on the left and Z-HIPS on the right. Print specs below.

Z-ULTRAT

• 0.09 mm

• full infill

• normal speed

• 30% support

Z-HIPS

• 0.14 mm

• full infill

• normal speed

• 20% support

The actual print is 38 mm in diameter and the model has some rather fine details which did not translate fully to either print. Z-ULTRAT did achieve higher quality (I suspect because of the smaller layer thickness)

Is this the best quality I can achieve with this printer, or is there a way to get better quality with different settings?

rVtIFGb.jpg

Welcome!! That is probably the best you will get printing in that orientation..  You could put it at a 45° angle.. This will generate a ton of support on the back but the face will have a lot more detail..

Welcome!! That is probably the best you will get printing in that orientation..  You could put it at a 45° angle.. This will generate a ton of support on the back but the face will have a lot more detail..

Interesting. Why 45 degrees and not 90? Printing it upright would probably need a thicker bottom plate but much less support (45 degrees support minimum should be given IMHO). And I think it would result in 100% Z accuracy wheras a 45 degrees would be less (half).

So what’s the trick with the 45 degrees I probably missed something? :slight_smile:

Interesting. Why 45 degrees and not 90? Printing it upright would probably need a thicker bottom plate but much less support (45 degrees support minimum should be given IMHO). And I think it would result in 100% Z accuracy wheras a 45 degrees would be less (half).

So what’s the trick with the 45 degrees I probably missed something? :slight_smile:

It looks to be pretty thin.. and round.. If printed at 90° i was thinking the bottom round might look worse than at 45..

It looks to be pretty thin.. and round.. If printed at 90° i was thinking the bottom round might look worse than at 45..

o.k, got it!

Yes, it's thin that's why I thought it had to be a thicker plate and yes the round plate would have not so nice rounded bottom as if printed flat.

I think he could get best details that way and probably smooth the plate after printing if needed (and made bigger).

Thanks guys. I'll print again at 45° and 90° and post results.

is it me or does the part made with z-ultrat have some warping? I thought it had better warping resistance.

is it me or does the part made with z-ultrat have some warping? I thought it had better warping resistance.

Cant tell because the raft is still on....  :huh:

No warping on the z-ultrat part. The z-hips part I can't pull apart from the support. 

Here is z-ultrat at 45°.

The face came out perfect, but there was some warping towards the bottom. Thanks Kyle. That's a great insight on changing the angle.

Printed at 45° on the left and flat on the right.

niaA6p2.jpg

IKI1RgR.jpg

No problem.. Now to design the parts around the printer.. lol  I try to design my stuff as printer friendly as possible.. Makes it more of a challenge. :D