Z-Suite 1.8.1 100% fan even for fixed 20% setting

I have mentioned this in the 1.8.x feedback thread before, but decided to start a new thread dedicated to this issue (feature?).

So OK, we have learned that the 100% fan jumps in the auto fan profile are meant to improve pillowing.

I still think the implementation is rather weird, but what's really bothering is that this feature somewhat completely destroys the possibility to use a fixed fan speed.

For this test, I sliced EXTRUDER-COVER-V6-front.stl from the library (Z-ABS, 140µm, high quality, 20% support lite) with fan set to 20% (auto off).

The fan profile shows that the oscillation between 100% and 20% starts at 7.5mm and ends at 14.1mm ... but then it stays at 100%.

extruder cover 20pct fanspeed.png

Start of fan oscillation at 7.5mm:

extruder cover 20pct 7p5mm.png

End of fan oscillation at 14.1mm (stays at 100%):

extruder cover 20pct 14p1mm.png

I think we can agree that while there is a top surface at 8.85mm and another at 10.8mm and 14.25mm , there is certainly no top surface for the next 30mm or so.

So why does the fan stay at 100%?

And is this 100% thing really supposed to work in fixed fan mode at all?

So there is no way whatsoever to set the fan to a fixed value if Z-Suite decides otherwise???

Definitely I cannot agree with this fan management.

I consider this fan management a bug, not a feature. I am forced to go back to 1.7.1.

ventola_zpsqxx9werk.jpg

why they have adopted this type of fan speed management?

One more remark: I noticed that the described behavior only seems to occur for the 90µm and 140µm settings.

No strictly scientific approach, but couldn't see it for 190µm yet.

Definitely I cannot agree with this fan management.

I consider this fan management a bug, not a feature. I am forced to go back to 1.7.1.

Yeah, I am waiting for a hotfix until I touch this..

EDIT: Just saw there is a hotfix. Anybody tried it then?

EDIT: Just saw there is a hotfix. Anybody tried it then?

Where?!

The version for download is still 1.8.1. Downloaded it again. Zip is binary identical to the version I downloaded on February 23rd.

ventola_zpsqxx9werk.jpg

why they have adopted this type of fan speed management?

Have you done your test on same model as deadbeef did? Im going to take a look at it

Printed something last night and heard the fan from the next room. very latest  1.8.1 ( layer 0.14 )

In some other thread we came to the conclusion that 100% in fixed fan mode actually only creates 99.608% fan speed while the auto mode and this new "anti pillowing" mode create true 100%. Issue of rounding vs. truncation maybe?

While a 0.392% difference seems negligible, the audible difference seems to be considerable.

Anti pillowing you say. Printed this at 0.09. Had much support under the part. Infill was set to light. Would be good if you could set how many layers you have on top which leads me to ask why isn't there a top layer option; something to do with warping?

Have you done your test on same model as deadbeef did? Im going to take a look at it

no, this is my model
if you need I can make another graph and send the stl

With each new Z-Suite release comes new bugs and less features in the software.  Zortrax's backward approach to their so called updates just blows my mind.  I am still running Mac Z-Suite v1.1.0 as I haven't the time nor energy for their software headaches!

I cannot help but think we are nothing more than Beta testers, leaving us to do all the hard work of finding, reporting and figuring out the bugs....

G

no, this is my model

if you need I can make another graph and send the stl

I have just checked it by myself, it has to be a bug.

Anti pillowing you say. Printed this at 0.09. Had much support under the part. Infill was set to light. Would be good if you could set how many layers you have on top which leads me to ask why isn't there a top layer option; something to do with warping?

I bet thats the broken fan’s fault. Can you get me ZCODE? I’m gonna print it

Marcin -

Marcin -

Got white ABS loaded but top layer looks fine, I'm worried about support though. Is there a chance that you get me STL so I can do some magic?

Any news about the main topic? Is this confirmed to be a bug? Will it be fixed soon?

Marcin - 

Dont know how you managed to eliminate pillowing on your printer, perhaps different colors have slightly different properties?. As for that for the .stl i have done much of a redesign and printed the parts up right. I am extremely happy with the end product. please see pictures.

kudos for your effort with this topic.

Marcin - 

Dont know how you managed to eliminate pillowing on your printer, perhaps different colors have slightly different properties?. As for that for the .stl i have done much of a redesign and printed the parts up right. I am extremely happy with the end product. please see pictures.

kudos for your effort with this topic.

I believe that could be your FAN's fault. 

I guess I should have posted this in the bugtracker. Still I kinda hoped there would be any kind of progress, yet it's nearly three weeks now since I started this thread.

I mean it can't be so hard to keep the same fan speed during the print in fixed mode instead of inserting these 100% jumps all over the place.

Guess it would be optimistic to expect any comment on the weird 99.608% vs. 100% issue (fixed mode doesn't use 100% even if set to 100% and "real" 100% much louder than 99.608%).