zcode file does not appear on the machine

Hi,

I have an issue with a bunch of models. They are correctly sliced in z-suite with default parameters, but they don't appear on the machine when the zcode file is put on the sd-card. The model seems fine, I checked with netfabb for holes or anything that could be wrongly made.

Even with an empty sd-card, I tried different files names, the M200 just says the card is empty.

(Some other models I made the same way do work well)

Do you have any idea ? Thanks.

I'm attaching the stl and zcode files.

Have you tried a different SD card?

Is the little switch on the side of the SD turned to lock?

Did you blow out the SD card slot with air? Sometimes pieces of plastic get in there.

Did you reformat the card? 

If all that is good. I would suggest going through the testing of the LCD display. I think they have a tutorial but basically you take out of frame and lay on paper and then try to run machine and see if error goes away.

Good Luck

Actually, some other files are working properly on the same sd-card. So it's really an issue on this zcode file specifically.

So that's not a file name issue or a file too big or too much files on the card since I tried on a new / empty one.

If someone could just put the zcode on a card and just try and see if it appears on his M200, at least it would confirm the issue.

I made the model on Maya. I'm currently working to make it on Rhino (just downloaded the software, need to learn to use it)... But I would really want to know what the issue is and if it's really coming from the stl model.

Thanks anyway.

Downloaded the Zcode file and put it on SD.. Shows up on mine.. Does it give you any errors when trying to save? Are you on Mac or PC?

You should look at Designspark Mechanical too.. This is a screenshot of the STL imported, converted to solid, then I just redrew it.. I hate Polygons!!!! 5JHTn1.jpg

You should look at Designspark Mechanical too.. 

I don't know why I do it, but overtime you mention DesignSparks, I go look at it to download and try and I get shot down every time!  Only the Devils OS can use it. hahaha

I guess I will stick with Blender, though I would like another program that runs on Mac and I can do what Blender lacks. Like measuring (Blender does but not very versatile), of course if I actually had any creativity and brain cells left Blender would be just fine. hahalol

I don't know why I do it, but overtime you mention DesignSparks, I go look at it to download and try and I get shot down every time!  Only the Devils OS can use it. hahaha

I guess I will stick with Blender, though I would like another program that runs on Mac and I can do what Blender lacks. Like measuring (Blender does but not very versatile), of course if I actually had any creativity and brain cells left Blender would be just fine. hahalol

Um.. Yeah.. it doesn't work on Mac.. Just buy a semi cheap laptop.. Not sure how you work in blender.. What the hell do you do with all those polygons??

When I'm done with building an object, either Rhino or Nettfabb changes the polygons which sometimes suck because if I have to fix it, all the the extra small shapes are a pain!! 

I have built a few nice things with Blender and I can use it smoothly. Whereas others I fumble around with the functions.  For my business I have to 3D engineers I have do my customers designs and I do my own because what they can do in a day will take me weeks. hahaha

Thanks Kyle. So if the zcode file worked for you, then something is wrong with the sd-card process on my side.

Actually we are two people, and I'm currently away from the machine and my partner is using a PC to transfer to an sd-card (while I'm on mac). I give him the stl and he generates the zcode himself.

Anyway, most of the other files I've made with the same process do work. It's just the last few.

Do you find a particular issue with the polygons ? I tried to model the same piece using rhino and when it comes to stl export, it converts it to thousands of polygons too.

I may try DS Mechanical inside a virtual machine if nothing similar exists on mac (which is quite surprising).

By the way, we have the V4 of the M200. On which version did you try Kyle?

You have to make a deal with the Devil!

I’m using Mac since 1989. Today my setup starts Parallels at boot time (actually I don’t shutdown, sometimes a restart). Moi3D and Rhino working flawlessly side to side to Apple software.

Moi was the first Win program I bought. What a wonderful surprise. An ugly but brilliant interface. A joy to use.

Rhino I use strictly when necessary, but only the win version. I would loose some plugins and Grasshopper on the Mac version.

Don’t be a xiite, embrace the Devil!

Finally we found the issue. If non-ascii characters are in the filename of the STL file, it will corrupt the zcode outputed by Z-suite.

Just changing the name of the zcode file doesn't solve the issue. The original name of the STL model is somehow transferred into the zcode file and is corrupting it.

So that's all. Don't remember having read such advice on filenames anywhere for z-suite.

Thanks again.

Im using V1 with latest firmware.

Heavenly - if you need mechanical designs, you might like OnShape.  It's a cloud-based 3D CAD product that is being developed by a team populated with a number of ex-employees from SolidWorks.  It runs in a browser so it will work on a Mac, PC or Linux box and they currently have some sort functionality on IPhone and IPad, Android to come soon.  It's in beta now so there it is not fully developed but still quite functional.  You can get a free license or go with the Pro version for $1200 per year.  The only difference between the two is the amount of cloud-based storage you get and the number of "documents" you can have active at once.  The free version gives you 5 GB of storage and 5 active documents.  A document can contain a large number of parts or assemblies and you can pick which 5 you want to have active at once.  It has an STL export function.

I've been working with it for the past week and am finding it pretty easy to use.

www.onshape.com

Mike

Awesome! Thanks Michael. I just requested an invite. Cheers!

Hi guys,

the zortrax files on my printer does not appear ("no files found"). I've uploaded a new file and put the zortrax-card in the printer but no files appeared. As I've put the card back in the computer I could not open the sd card at all. Also formating didn't work. In the next step I uploded the file on a different sd card but the files on the printer still doesnt appear.

How can I solve the problem? 

Hi guys,

the zortrax files on my printer does not appear ("no files found"). I've uploaded a new file and put the zortrax-card in the printer but no files appeared. As I've put the card back in the computer I could not open the sd card at all. Also formating didn't work. In the next step I uploded the file on a different sd card but the files on the printer still doesnt appear.

How can I solve the problem?

Make sure you did not lock the card.. Little switch/slide on card.. Is it the original card? What did you format it too?

Make sure you did not lock the card.. Little switch/slide on card.. Is it the original card? What did you format it too?

Hi, I looked and unlocked the card. Nothing worked. The original card is not working at all anymore. Windows tells me I have to format the card but it doesn’t work. The other SD card has FAT 32 format.

Update:

I could format the original SD card on my other computer. Now it’s working again. But why is the other SD card not working? I formated it (FAT 32) too.

Maybe the SD card pins was oxidized, try to litlle bit scratch pins using tweezers, if not try to other SD card not bigger than 4GB

Much better to use a pencil eraser to clean the fingers, rather than scratching them up. If you scratch them rough, they will eventually damage the contacts inside the printer. A pencil eraser is abrasive enough to clean any oxide or contaminants off the fingers without roughening them.