Zortrax Contest - Win a Zortrax 3D Printer

Zortrax Model Library Contest

1. Only Zortrax M200 owners can enter the contest.

2. To take part in the contest log into Zortrax Model Library in Z-Suite software and add a 3D model of your ownership.

3. Added model has to be of your ownership, it cannot be owned by any other company or website.

4. Added model has to be tagged with #Contest2015 tag. Only models with this tag will be considered for the contest. 

5. It is forbidden to copy models of other users. This kind of action will disqualify from the contest.

6. All models taking part in the contest can be used by Zortrax S.A for multiple purposes – for marketing, promotion etc. The rights for the model are transferred to the Zortrax S.A.

7. The contest starts on the 21st of September, ends on the 12-th of October 2015. Zortrax will select the winner and announce it 7 days after the contest end.

8. The winner will be informed via email given for registration on the Zortrax Model Library. The prize – Zortrax M200 3D printer will be sent to the winner within 14 days from the announcement of the results.

9. The winner is to cover the costs associated with duties and the taxes regulated by the law of his country of origin.

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.php?16297-Zortrax-Contest-Win-a-Zortrax-3D-Printer

So according to 6. without having won anything, just by contributing to this Library the author looses all his rights and transfers them to Zortrax.

Is that right?

Hello,

Can I upload for a contest my design which I created and own all rights but its already uploaded on other websites like thingiverse? or it has to be completly new on the whole internet?

So according to 6. without having won anything, just by contributing to this Library the author looses all his rights and transfers them to Zortrax.

Is that right?

I have a major issue with this, Lets say I have a model I think can win the contest (and I do think this but I also know better) and I submit the model. Boom it is no longer mine under the rules, I cant imagine Zortrax going after any of its customers for something they did not make. Its like entering a competition for best pie recipe with grandmas apple pie that has been passed down to you. Then being told that the pie is no longer yours even though you entered the contest and lost. If that is how Zortrax is going to try and make a marketing push to get new users then they can have fun watching people get turned away by their own upset customers complaining about stuff like this. 

I have a design of my own creation from High school and it is now 3D printable. This design (a lock with functioning key) is by all rights mine, and I have all the original CAD files so if I submit this I loose all rights to it somehow. Needless to say that unless the rules change my design will not show up in the contest. 

Who ever made up the rules for this must have never met another normal human being, because they must not understand how this can outrage anyone who makes anything.

I hope the rules change, maybe the person who gets first pace should have to give the models rights to Zortrax to claim the prize, but everyone else having to do so is just stupid.

Who ever made up the rules for this must have never met another normal human being, because they must not understand how this can outrage anyone who makes anything.

Or the contest is just offered to fanboys that don't think about it once (not twice)  ;)

But it's a great business model. One wants to build up a 3D Library and own the contributed models.

Just spent 1000 bucks (production costs for the printer) to get let's say 100 models, that's 10 bucks each.

I’ve asked Zortrax about the rights, they said that only the author have rights to the model.

I've asked Zortrax about the rights, they said that only the author have rights to the model.

So this is an official statement from Zortrax (you're making their announcements)?

And the rules page (the link you provided in your OP) will be changed?

And Eddie (the admin of that page) is a Zortrax representative making all valid statements in the name of Zortrax?

Just curious why there is no statement from Chris about this...

Hi,

I am not a lawyer but I think this kind of point, even if it is scary, is necessary. It is often contained in "terms & conditions" sections of social networks for photos & other contributions. It means first that Zortrax won't have the need of asking agreement to the author each time the company wants to use the model for emailing, video, etc. Next, it means of course Zortrax  won't have to pay the author for that.

But it does not mean that Zortrax becomes the author.

Nevertheless, "transferred" seems a bit strong. For a french speaker (I mean, how I understand that), it would mean the author loose his rights, and Zortrax will get them all (so the author won't be allowed to earn money with it), but it may have a different meaning in English & in this context.

To us (in English) transferred does mean the same for you as it is for us. That is why my post is not so happy, I understand how the normal upload works (i have already uploaded a model to the standard cloud they have set up not for the contest) and it does have the option to set different rights. However the rules for this contest are a bit over-reaching. I am wondering when Zortrax is going to speak about it on their forum and not just in a nice little banner in Z-Suite.

Update to Z-Suite to 1.2.1 solves this issue. The terms now state that Zortrax can use the submitted models for promotion but mention nothing about changing ownership.

The usual way to say this in (American) English is that "by submitting the model, the author grants an unlimited, non-exclusive license" for the model to Zortrax. They can do anything they want with it, and so can the author. 

For those who missed it:

https://zortrax.com/3d-printing/the-coolest-model-z-fridge/