Changing the 40mm fans

After a little more than a year of printing (almost non stop) time finally came for the fans to say bye-bye.

I bought 3 Sunons, 3 Scythes and 3 Noctuas.  The only ones that worked on M200 were Noctuas.

And how they are working!

The most silent fans possible. Now I want to echange PSU and motherboard fans too.

You can barely hear the Noctuas and then only in very close proximity. Can't really wait to exchange all of them if possible.

This is the model that worked: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=47&lng=en

And this is how the setup looks:

20151027_015647.jpg

Agreed, Noctuas are great and worth the money. I could have told you Sunons wouldn't work :)

I'm thinking of trying a 20mm (thick) fan on the top to get more cooling for the hot end heat break. When I get a round tuit ;)

Here you go, now get tuit :)

round-tuit.jpg

Hi,

Did you notice a better cooling with the new fan ? (the top one)

Thanks,

Laurent

If you have a 40x40x20 tuit, I want one too!

Laurent, cooling is for sure better than the failing fan.

About heat it's hard if not impossible to account fan effectiveness. Motor is adding heat to the big black block and heated bed also adds heat to it. The fan is recirculating already heated air.

The best test is to measure air temp around the fan and hotend aluminum cooler plate. If difference is small then fan is effective.

The thermal connection between the heat sink and the feed tube also seems pretty minimal to me - there is not much metal-to-metal surface contact area. I put thermal grease around this joint in the hope that it might help.

Agreed, Noctuas are great and worth the money. I could have told you Sunons wouldn't work :)

I'm thinking of trying a 20mm (thick) fan on the top to get more cooling for the hot end heat break. When I get a round tuit ;)

20mm fan might not work. It will hit the rod block on the right side..

20mm fan might not work. It will hit the rod block on the right side..

Good catch, Kyle!

After a little more than a year of printing (almost non stop) time finally came for the fans to say bye-bye.

I bought 3 Sunons, 3 Scythes and 3 Noctuas.  The only ones that worked on M200 were Noctuas.

And how they are working!

The most silent fans possible. Now I want to echange PSU and motherboard fans too.

You can barely hear the Noctuas and then only in very close proximity. Can't really wait to exchange all of them if possible.

This is the model that worked: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=47&lng=en

And this is how the setup looks:

attachicon.gif20151027_015647.jpg

Hello, can You please write something about installing a noctua fan. Does it have the compatible connector or is it necessary to cut the cables? if so which one goes where? 

Thank You! :)

Ah, completely forgot to mention that part.

Noctua fans have inside the package the necessary adapter to connect directly. It will work right out of the box but the cable will be a little longer than needed.

There are options though.

More elegant is cable splicing and soldering or mounting a compatible connector to the fan's cables.

The other solution is represented by the cable connectors inside the box. Cut cables put reds and blacks into two automatic cable ties and turn. Voila, they are connected and you can even do them to the correct length.

While I'm talking about those fans, did I mention that the box, packaging of the fans, and the way it's presented to the customer is really a marvel. Considering that they are not much more expensive than other fans, it's really incredible. It's pure pleasure just opening them up.

Good catch, Kyle!

I put a spacer on mine some time ago to lift the fan up for more air flow. Had to dicard the metal grill..

I put a spacer on mine some time ago to lift the fan up for more air flow. Had to dicard the metal grill..

How does a spacer increase airflow?

Ah, completely forgot to mention that part.

Noctua fans have inside the package the necessary adapter to connect directly. It will work right out of the box but the cable will be a little longer than needed.

There are options though.

More elegant is cable splicing and soldering or mounting a compatible connector to the fan's cables.

The other solution is represented by the cable connectors inside the box. Cut cables put reds and blacks into two automatic cable ties and turn. Voila, they are connected and you can even do them to the correct length.

While I'm talking about those fans, did I mention that the box, packaging of the fans, and the way it's presented to the customer is really a marvel. Considering that they are not much more expensive than other fans, it's really incredible. It's pure pleasure just opening them up.

Great! Thanks for reply ;)

How does a spacer increase airflow?

Purely theoretical on my part after looking at the design of the fan. The large disk of the fan restricts airflow into the channels. I figured lifting the fan up would allow more air to travel through those channels.. It also helps insulate the fan from any heat that might be transferred from the heat sink.

About the large disk of the fan... I forgot to mention that the noctuas have the smallest diameter or to put it differently, they have the largest blades when comparing 40mm fans.

Can't really wait to exchange all of them if possible.

I think for MB is 70x70@24V... then you don't exchange this one for Noctua :(

Motherboard fan is really quiet - it's the power supply fan that makes all the noise.

Love the Noctuas, and love the twin bottom fan mod as well.

This is a great Idea for an upgrade, esp the power supply fan or whatever is loud. Cause having the printer near my computer is driving me crazy with how loud those fans are. Funny enough the motors are not very loud.

In case anyone is interested, the other two fans in the system are as follows:

motherboard fan: 70mm 24V fan 15mm thick

PSU fan (the one that is driving us all crazy): NMB-MAT model 2404KL-04W-B30

60mm 12V 10mm thick

80% percent of the whining comes from the insufficient air intake holes on this fan. Powering it up detached from the PSU side panel produces just very little sound. Almost completely bearable.