Error #013 - what to replace and where to get?

I'm getting consistent firmware #013 errors on a new project part about 3-1/2 hours into a 9-hour print.  It has failed at least six times, usually at about the same Z-level and has failed on every single print.

This Zortrax support page:

https://support.zortrax.com/m-series-firmware-error-messages/

suggests that the cable extrude cable/heater and/or the thermocouple/extruder PCB need to be replaced.  Has anyone else with this error resolved it by replacing one or both parts/assemblies?

Marcin - are these parts available in stock for purchase in the US anywhere?

Hi Michael,

If you have a multimeter, we can check if the heater is the faulty one.

Just attach the probes between those two pins on the left (two black cables)

Let me know about your findings.

Thanks Marcin - should I be looking for voltage or resistance?  I'm guessing resistance...

Thanks Marcin - should I be looking for voltage or resistance?  I'm guessing resistance...

Oh sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

Yes, please measure resistance. It should be around 15-16 Ohms.

Hi, Mike. I've seen that error caused by fan onset at the end of raft printing. Turned the fans down or off and the error stopped.

Thanks Julia - I have the sliced file set for "Auto" fan and noticed that it only comes rarely during the print.  I eventually got the file to finish 3 prints by pausing about 10 minutes every 2-3 hours during the 9 hour print.  I'm not convinced that pausing really made a difference, but am not about to argue with success.

This was with ZSuite 1.12.0 but I also had the problem with the newest release of 2.0.

20180418_182333.jpg

Oh sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

Yes, please measure resistance. It should be around 15-16 Ohms.

Marcin,

Maybe I am dense but I don't see that particular connector on my M200.  This is what I see.  I did check the resistance between the two red wires on the green connector and got 13.7 ohms, which is close to what you said it should be.  Do you have any further thoughts?

Mike

Hi Mike,

The value is too low. I would definitely replace the heater.

However, You have the old type of the extruder PCB, and probably hotend (I suppose you have the v1).

Therefore I would replace all 3 items.

Hi Mike,

However, You have the old type of the extruder PCB, and probably hotend (I suppose you have the v1).

Marcin - can you please PM me cost and delivery time info.  Are these parts available from stock in the US anywhere?

Mike

My heater is reading 14.7 ohm is this ok?

My heater is reading 14.7 ohm is this ok?

Hi Andy_B,

This value is fine.

Hi Mike,

Marcin,

I've replaced all 3 items and am still getting the error with ZSuite 2.6.0.  It's failing on a 5-hour print in Z-ABS at nearly the end point.  I have been using "Auto" fan speed - do you think that reducing that would be helpful and if so, what % fan do you suggest?

Mike

Marcin,

I've replaced all 3 items and am still getting the error with ZSuite 2.6.0.  It's failing on a 5-hour print in Z-ABS at nearly the end point.  I have been using "Auto" fan speed - do you think that reducing that would be helpful and if so, what % fan do you suggest?

Mike

Yes, in a lot of cases the fans come on heavily at the end of a print in Auto mode. The optimal setting depends on material and part geometry. Small things or things that come to a point are particularly tricky because each layer does not have time to cool before the next is being laid down. Best solution is print more than one copy, but I can see why you wouldn't want to do that with a 5-hour part. Start with say 40% fan and see what happens.

Thanks Julia - your earlier comment about reducing fan speed below 100% is what prompted me to ask about.  I've now printed 2 different objects at 80% fan with no failures and am about a 1/3 through another so I'm thinking you nailed this from the start.  These are all in Z-ABS, with @gadgettogo's covers and bed heat in case that matters.

I'm wondering if a component in the base is about to fail.  Guess I'll find out some where down the road.  The printer is around 4 years old with hundreds, possibly thousands, of hours of running hours so it may deserve retirement by now.

My V1 M200 #52 from early 2014 is still going strong; the only mechanical component I've replaced is the Z-coupler.

Mine dates from the April-May 2014 time frame but I'll bet you have more hours printing than I do.  I've already replaced one perf bed, the display unit, and now the heater-T/C and PCB board so I must be harder on my tools than you are.

Still no answer from Zortrax tech support...

Mine dates from the April-May 2014 time frame but I'll bet you have more hours printing than I do.  I've already replaced one perf bed, the display unit, and now the heater-T/C and PCB board so I must be harder on my tools than you are.

Still no answer from Zortrax tech support...

Hi Michael,

Considering you've replaced the extruder PCB and the heater&thermocoupler, the extruder cable may cause the issue in this case.

Hi Michael,

Considering you've replaced the extruder PCB and the heater&thermocoupler, the extruder cable may cause the issue in this case.

Michael stated that the "Extruder too cold" error was solved by reducing fan speed.

Hi Michael,

The extruder cable has already been replaced once, perhaps a year ago.  I've had no failures in the last 4 print jobs since reducing fan speed to 80%.  So far I've only been using Z-ABS (black and cool gray) at 90 µ layer height.  Perhaps a component in the bed has aged and is getting sketchy?

The extruder cable has already been replaced once, perhaps a year ago.  I've had no failures in the last 4 print jobs since reducing fan speed to 80%.  So far I've only been using Z-ABS (black and cool gray) at 90 µ layer height.  Perhaps a component in the bed has aged and is getting sketchy?

Theoretically, the bed should have nothing to do with it (I'm guessing you mean the perforated plate/heatbed?). However, we should not exclude some kind of a short circuit, of course.

One year for an extruder cable is quite a long period, especially if it is used on a regular basis.

How long were your last 4 successful models printed?

Please perform a few more test prints using non-auto fan speed and keep us informed about the results.