Lots of strings between parts

Hi Chris,

I've had this issue with 2x brand new m200s now, is there a bigger problem, or a solution?

Nick

Generally I've seen this (regardless of M200 version) when I had a very small partial clog of my extruder nozzle. It impedes the flow just enough to continue to flow longer than it should as the print head is moving between objects. Try cleaning your nozzle......

Nozzle cleaning has been done in both instances with mine, plus the printers have barely been used

Nick

I'm not sure If my problem is completely fixed. Can someone try print the attached model with z-abs, 0.19mm and random seam? It takes 15 minutes and 2g of filament to print.

Thanks

So I was wondering if anyone has found a good solution for this. I just purchased an M200 and have been doing some test prints and getting stringing also in my prints.

I haven't printed on my M200 in a while as i've been doing a lot of SLA printing.  However I did a 12 hour print for the first time on my M200 two days ago and I had a great print.  I'm using a V4 M200, V1 hotend.  V1 build plate, and I'm using I believe .07 firmware and the software is 1.1.0.  Wonder if that helps anyone or tech support.  I'm away from my print shop so I can't show you a pic but I have no stringing on this print and actually I've never had a problem with stringing like I see in the above posts.  I was just going to see for this next project I have coming up what firmware and software people were using.  For now I'm not going to upgrade anything as it's printing fine and I'll leave those dogs sleeping.

I've recently decided to upgrade my M200 though with a V2 hotend, V2 bp which requires a firmware update to at least 0.8..aargh.

Thanks,

Jason

@Kyle, it appears your using the lastest firmware update however and software 1.2.2.  Would you recommend my upgrading to that at least?  I see your print in orange looks great.

To clarify, I've orderd the V2 stuff but haven't installed it yet..

I haven't printed on my M200 in a while as i've been doing a lot of SLA printing.  However I did a 12 hour print for the first time on my M200 two days ago and I had a great print.  I'm using a V4 M200, V1 hotend.  V1 build plate, and I'm using I believe .07 firmware and the software is 1.1.0.  Wonder if that helps anyone or tech support.  I'm away from my print shop so I can't show you a pic but I have no stringing on this print and actually I've never had a problem with stringing like I see in the above posts.  I was just going to see for this next project I have coming up what firmware and software people were using.  For now I'm not going to upgrade anything as it's printing fine and I'll leave those dogs sleeping.

I've recently decided to upgrade my M200 though with a V2 hotend, V2 bp which requires a firmware update to at least 0.8..aargh.

Thanks,

Jason

@Kyle, it appears your using the lastest firmware update however and software 1.2.2.  Would you recommend my upgrading to that at least?  I see your print in orange looks great.

Hey Jason.. Here are my latest with same software/firmware.. No strings. uzxqUJ.jpgVC9iz1.jpg

Think i'll upgrade to v2 hardware and 1.2.2 software and latest firmware.  Great looking prints as usual Kyle!

Just upgraded to FW1.0 and ZS 1.2.2.  I was using FW 0.0.5 before! so whether it prints better or ..not.  The interface was nice welcome and I realized I didn't have to double and triple click the knob like I used to; and heating was vastly faster.  Haven't had time to replace my V1 hotend and Build Platform with V2 stuff but have ti all ready for a rainy day.  Honestly I'm quite happy with the prints I've made on V1 hardware thusf ar.  I have a personal Zglass project coming up to print a Glass Canopy of a spaceship I created a while back and then i'll update hardware.   Anything drastically negative on this print givin my V1 hardware with the updated software and firware I'll post back otherwise, assume it's compatible if your setup is like mine.

Just upgraded to FW1.0 and ZS 1.2.2. I was using FW 0.0.5 before! so whether it prints better or ..not. The interface was nice welcome and I realized I didn't have to double and triple click the knob like I used to; and heating was vastly faster. Haven't had time to replace my V1 hotend and Build Platform with V2 stuff but have ti all ready for a rainy day. Honestly I'm quite happy with the prints I've made on V1 hardware thusf ar. I have a personal Zglass project coming up to print a Glass Canopy of a spaceship I created a while back and then i'll update hardware. Anything drastically negative on this print givin my V1 hardware with the updated software and firware I'll post back otherwise, assume it's compatible if your setup is like mine.

Before you print in z-glass be sure to change out your hotend. The v2 hotend was made just to accommodate the problems people were having with zglass.

The first print with the new settings is problematic.  It appears the print decided to shift on a horizontal axis midway through.  The separation area is approx. 50% of the height of the print and along the vertical wall; not at the part that starts to taper thinner.

Again this is with V1 hardware using the new FM 1.0.0 and ZS 2.2.

Anyone else see a random shift in there print like this?  These are my Xmas cookie cutters I’ve been making and they worked fine (modeled the same way) before the software and firmware upgrade.  I wonder if it’s because I’m using V1 build plate and hotend otherwise this has me stumped.

Done at .14 µm medium fill, autofan, light support with out random seam.  It’s a 15 hour print but it’s been fine on the two previous prints which are simply the same size overall +/- based on the intials that were used.

See attached, any ideas are greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

(I'll need to post pics after I get to work)

here are the pics:

FailedPrint1

FailedPrint2

PrintSettings

I noticed on my prints that if I have any strings, it is usually because of too much drag on the filament coming into the extruder.

Bearings work great but I have some rolls that don't have bearings used and when it gets fed into the stepper and the line is tight and hard to pull in, I get a few strings but if it is loose or the spool moves very freely then there are no strings. 

I noticed on my prints that if I have any strings, it is usually because of too much drag on the filament coming into the extruder.

Bearings work great but I have some rolls that don't have bearings used and when it gets fed into the stepper and the line is tight and hard to pull in, I get a few strings but if it is loose or the spool moves very freely then there are no strings. 

I would add that side spoolers tend to add more drag if they are still using the mounting system for the filament tube end-stop on the back.

If you look at the attached pics, you'll see that the print actually shifted approx. an inch and that is why there is stringing.  Anyone have this happen to them before?  I'm wondering if it's coincidence and perhaps the ribbon cable is going out or something mechnical.  Found the print this way at my shop this a.m. but haven't had a chance to investigate further.

If you look at the attached pics, you'll see that the print actually shifted approx. an inch and that is why there is stringing.  Anyone have this happen to them before?  I'm wondering if it's coincidence and perhaps the ribbon cable is going out or something mechnical.  Found the print this way at my shop this a.m. but haven't had a chance to investigate further.

X-Y shift like this can often be cured by lubing the rods.

Thanks Julia,

the rods are lubbed.  I'll give my machine a once over again as mechanically, this doesn't make sense.  However I'm missing something obviously.  Report back to help out someone else when I arrive at a solution.

happy new year!

The first print with the new settings is problematic.  It appears the print decided to shift on a horizontal axis midway through.  The separation area is approx. 50% of the height of the print and along the vertical wall; not at the part that starts to taper thinner.

Again this is with V1 hardware using the new FM 1.0.0 and ZS 2.2.

Anyone else see a random shift in there print like this?  These are my Xmas cookie cutters I’ve been making and they worked fine (modeled the same way) before the software and firmware upgrade.  I wonder if it’s because I’m using V1 build plate and hotend otherwise this has me stumped.

Done at .14 µm medium fill, autofan, light support with out random seam.  It’s a 15 hour print but it’s been fine on the two previous prints which are simply the same size overall +/- based on the intials that were used.

See attached, any ideas are greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

(I’ll need to post pics after I get to work)

here are the pics:

FailedPrint1

FailedPrint2

PrintSettings

With a large print over a long time I’m willing to bet you had some large lift somewhere in the print this snagged the nozzle as it tried to go by and caused the nozzle to stall and the toothed belt jumped a few teeth before it got going again and then the movement pattern changed enough for the part shifted as it continued to build, even though you had good results in the past these machines are not foo; proof and need constant vigilance, making sure every time you are preparing a build to apply a “glue” to the build plate to assure adhesion is paramount.

I just had the same problem and this is the first time it happens just after upgraded Z-suite to 1.4.1 and used the "high speed" option.

I heard a noise during a rapid movement of the print head (excluding injection) and there are the teeth of the belt jumped and caused a shift

Drew, that sounds most likely.  I've not had this happen before and the part is glued down well.  The raft did not lift off the build plate to cause the snag but most likely the nozzle hit somewhere and as you've mentioned causing a belt slip.  Thanks for that suggestion as it makes the most sense to me.

Looks like the same thing for sure to me Minanga.