Metal Plating

Hi,

Just wandering if anyone has tried to metal plate their prints and what results they have had.

Im looking fwd to trying it on mine (waiting for printer to arrive).

http://www.repliforminc.com/RePliKote.htm

Haven't tried it yet but would love to...

Very interesting. But is only for resin printers. Model needs to support 100°C. Not for this Zortrax, but the next.

I think it works for FDM, but most of their customers are big companies using SLA or SLS so the examples shown use those processes. Does it say somewhere that it can't be used on FDM? There is even one example showing the process used on a "starch-based" part, which I assume is PLA. ABS can stand 100ºC I think, especially Z-ABS, with its slightly higher extrusion temp.

You could be right.

Pieces need to be sanded with 320 grit, cleaned, with no traces of layers as the process enhance details. 

I’m trying different processes such as chroming and vacuum aluminum plating. Will report back with findings soon.

Very cool, I look forward to hearing about your results!

not sure I understood what metal plating is exactly, but another option could be to mold your piece with silicone and do a cold cast with resin using metal powder

I have tried, and main problem is part integrity hty have to be very solid.

I tried with parts produced on a ssys with the highest resolution available in X, Y,Z and firt they have to be sealed, then sanded, then sealed again, and sanded again.

After that metalplating can be applied. But if part is a littlr porous it will fail. Bubbles appear and part is unuseable.

That is my experience.

You may consult this paper.

http://www.stratasys.com/~/media/Main/Files/Applications/AG-Electroplating-0109.aspx

I think it works for FDM, but most of their customers are big companies using SLA or SLS so the examples shown use those processes. Does it say somewhere that it can't be used on FDM? There is even one example showing the process used on a "starch-based" part, which I assume is PLA. ABS can stand 100ºC I think, especially Z-ABS, with its slightly higher extrusion temp.

"Starch-based" may be referring to powder-and-ink printers like Z Corp/3DSystems.

Some initial results of metal plating (in this case copper). The finish is very rough, but no bubbling problems ;) I will try to improve it by hand, will post more pics later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jv0kqjaicxeyhm/2014-07-22%2012.57.59.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox7qep6i2l8dzv5/2014-07-22%2012.58.05.jpg

How thick is the metal plating, does it make the part more durable, and is there enough material that the ABS can be melted out (or dissolved in acetone) to leave a hollow metal shell? :)

Metal plating is only a few microns thick. No way it can create a shell.

Very nice first trial. Very promising.

Did you make it in vacuum plating or real electroplating ?

Nice job, Ikatz, very impressive! Yes, Pilou, the initial metallization is only a few microns thick, but once that is done you can electroplate normally onto that to make a very thick shell - that's what repliform does, if I understand correctly.

Also, I heard about repliform from someone who had seen them exhibiting and soliciting business at a MakerFaire, so it would seem they are looking for business from the FDM market.

That was electroplating, but not very well done. Looking for another provider. Also trying out vacuum plating and should have results of that soon.

If your purpose is to have a shell or a pure metal piece then I would suggest printing in PLA and casting. ABS to my knowledge doenst 'melt out' cleanly.

Yes even though its only a few microns thick it makes the part much tougher (and heavier). I dont have objective analysis of that but just from the feel you can tell, and the stratasys doc someone posted in the beginning makes it clear as well (they have tensile strength curves and whatnot).

Replicote's tech info shows coating thickness up to 120 microns.

For PLA investment casting, www.printedsolid.com offers this service from your part or your STL.

They look good Julia, didint know about them. Thanks for the tip ;)

:huh: Hum....

May be I will say a stupidity, but ...

Why don't put a thin film of conductive metallic painting on ABS prints before electrolysis ?

Why don't put a thin film of conductive metallic painting on ABS prints before electrolysis ?

I think that is basically the first step that everyone uses, but maybe they don't call it "paint".

http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/electroplating-for-3d-printed-models-monolith-studios-says-coming-soon?utm_source=3D+Printer+World+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5197a8f565-3DPW_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3fa8f5b0b9-5197a8f565-72708597

I saw this machine and its output at MakerFaire last month and it was fantastic. Seems overpriced, though :(

Oh, actually they do call it "paint", right there in the video  :)

I think that is basically the first step that everyone uses

Ooops :blink: , I knew it was not very clever ....

Thanks for the link, It makes it possible to dream about it :rolleyes: