My printer not printing upper left part of printing model

Hi Zortrax Team,

I am currently printing a big model and I sliced it into parts that I can assembled them together after all the parts finished. I encountered a weird problem, my last print stop printing the upper left parts of the print. Check extruder head and everything, the extruder head not even touching the print platform, the filament simply won't come out. Took out the extruder and clean it. Reprocess the zcode. Everything I can think of I have tried. May I know what will be the problem? Please reply to me asap as I am nearly the end of the whole printing process. Thank you.

EDIT:

Found out the problem: I have attached a short video and was wondering why this could be happened. You can check the short video here

Regards,

Petrus Yap

Check the motor wires and connectors…

Otherwise you should contact support directly. They will not troubleshoot it here.

Looks to me like the stepper that is driving that "gear" is losing steps.  That's usually an indication that something is blocking the extruder and preventing the filament from feeding.  It would probably be best to email support and wait for their suggestions, but if it was me and I *had* to use the printer, I would remove the nozzle and see if it is blocked up.  I might also soak the nozzle in acetone for a few hours and try using one of the cleaning wires that came with the printer.

Hopefully more experienced users here will have some good advice.

Mike

Thanks Andre and Mike,

I was wondering why when the head moving to other parts, the extruder is working fine. The filament come out as usual only at the upper left area the motor wont pull the filament :frowning:

Contact the support as you suggest but i dunno when they gonna reply. And fyi, i got no cleaning wires coming with the package since i was the early kickstarter backer and they ship my unit in the early stage

Regards,

Petrus Yap

Thanks Andre and Mike,

I was wondering why when the head moving to other parts, the extruder is working fine. The filament come out as usual only at the upper left area the motor wont pull the filament :frowning:

Contact the support as you suggest but i dunno when they gonna reply. And fyi, i got no cleaning wires coming with the package since i was the early kickstarter backer and they ship my unit in the early stage

Regards,

Petrus Yap

Are you sure your main wire connector on the top of the extruder is pushed in all the way? The fact that the motor it acts up in a certain position means to me that a connector looses contact when the main cable changes position. I really think it’s a wire connection issue.

Hi Andre,

Yes. I am very sure about the main connector is pushed and connected nicely to the printhead

When the head is in the upper left corner could it be that the filament tube gets kinked? Does it happen as well if there is no filament in the gear? Just remove the filament and then do “load filament” without any filament…does the motor spin then?

If yes, then you have a mechanical issue with your feeder tube… If not then I still think it’s a bad connector.

Yes Andre, i do think its the motor problem. The video i showed is when i unload the filament from the extruder. So, the best guess i can think of is the motor problem. To double check, i follow the instructions Zortrax team provide to open up the main connector housing and the filament puller motor. Everything seems okay except the gear for pulling the filament got some slight dent all around coz of the process of pulling the filament overtime. Hopefully Zortrax can resolve my problems fast as I am currently racing with deadline for the project. FYI, i am printing a pretty huge models now. An architectural miniature, 2 stories residential house with one full 2 floor and another only one floor without the ceiling so people can check on the interior.

Wish me luck

Warmest regards,

Petrus Yap

Sorry Andre, after post i juz realize that it may sound weird to u. Sorry for my bad english. I mean in the video i posted (link to my dropbox), the motor problems occurred when i try to load the filament after its unloaded.

Have you leveled your platform & perforated bed?  There is a procedure for that on page 17 in the Getting Started manual.  I neglected to level mine when I first got the printer and the extruder nozzle actually pressed against the bed on one side, which prevented filament from getting extruded and blocked up the nozzle.

Hi Henry, the bed is levelled and the extruder i check when moving towards that parts doesn’t touch the printbed as well.

Actually found out the problem, based on Andre’s tips, i check on the cable of the main connector. I move the cable around and the problem gone. But if i let go the cable, it will be tilted to one side and the problem occurred again. So i guess it is the connection problem between the pin and the cable in the connector. Wonder how to fix it :frowning:

You will have to pull the little metal connectors out of the connector body. Usually they come out by pushing a tiny tab with a very small flat screwdriver (have not looked that closely at that connector yet). As soon as you have the connectors out you can just slightly press them with some pliers to make them tight on the pins again. Also check that there are no pins loose on the other connector on the extruder side… If yes, there might be some soldering required. The worst case would be a broken cable…also fixable with some soldering.

Thanks Andre.. I am currently resuming the printing now... will fasten the cable later on.. seems like now its working fine..

Any solutions here? Mine just started doing the same. I'll send an email to support, but they have been pretty slow to respond. Thanks. 

Yup. They sending me the replacement part. Hope it reach me soon enough

Hmmm great. I've already been waiting over a month for parts that were failed when the machine arrived. What are they replacing? 

Hmmm great. I've already been waiting over a month for parts that were failed when the machine arrived. What are they replacing? 

You need to contact support again. When I needed a part, they had it here in a week.

Its been a few days now, multiple emails, and I still haven't received any response. So far my experience with this printer has been a constant disappointment. Real bummer to have to turn down work because of it. Hopefully I'll get some response tonight...

What new parts did they ship you? 

Hi somepunk22, they send me the replacement cable. As I suspect the cable is the main culprit of it all :D Check with FedEx and it will arrive on Tuesday. Will let you know if that solve the problem :D