My second print

Martin, can you please send me the exact settings you used to print the bearing that you have on the Printroom page. I have tried white and gray filament. I would really like to be able to print things like this. I have successfully printed a calibration piece that is approximately 70x70 mm and a 20 mm test cube with very good results. I would like to know once and for all if it is the filament, the printer or something I am doing wrong. I took the bearing right off your website and sliced it with Zsuite, without any changes at all to the settings.

Thank you, Dhatw.

I just checked mine and found the same thing - three of them flopping around and the fourth only finger-tight.

Did you find any other loose screws? I don’t fancy having to check every bolt and screw on the machine.

[quote name=Julia Truchsess][quote=dhatw]

One thing of note, check all your screws. I thought I had checked all but missed the Z axis lead screw nut and just discovered that all 4 were loose. One was just snug and 3 were at least a mm loose.

Dhatw.
[/quote]

I just checked mine and found the same thing - three of them flopping around and the fourth only finger-tight.

Did you find any other loose screws? I don’t fancy having to check every bolt and screw on the machine.
[/quote]

All of the LCD display were loose. One so much that I saw it as soon as I took it out of the box. The four screws holding the bearing on the bottom of the lead screw, just above the stepper motor required a little tweak. I would not say they were loose but definitely not torqued to spec.

For all those checking their screws, be careful. For the most part they are screwed into aluminum. The ones on the lead screw have nuts but if you are not careful you will strip the threads. I always try to loosen the screw first to see if it is tight then if it moves tighten. For the really small screws use the long side of the hex key in the screw and tighten with the short side. You don’t need to apply a lot of torque. Just keep checking them from time to time.

Might it be possible that the lead screw is loose on purpose? It has self locking nuts…can’t imagine they forgot to tighten those on several printers… So it could be that they want it to be able to move from side to side to avoid binding near the bearing blocks of the spindle and to absorb any wobble

Just a thought…

Martin, can you clarify?

[quote name=Andre]Might it be possible that the lead screw is loose on purpose? It has self locking nuts…can’t imagine they forgot to tighten those on several printers… So it could be that they want it to be able to move from side to side to avoid binding near the bearing blocks of the spindle and to absorb any wobble

Just a thought…

Martin, can you clarify?
[/quote]

That was my first thought but they were not even snug. The one that was was barely so, you could still turn it wit your hand. And the other three were wobbly loose.

[quote name=dhatw]Martin, can you please send me the exact settings you used to print the bearing that you have on the Printroom page. I have tried white and gray filament.
[/quote]

I printed now mine using the latest software and looks like a few bearing ‘balls’ have a problem with sticking into support, mine looks better because layers didn’t shifted but I can find 4 pieces of bearing balls on the platform. Fixing it now.

So this is not problem with your printer just software bug and too small adhesion of spheres.

[quote name=Julia Truchsess][quote=dhatw]

One thing of note, check all your screws. I thought I had checked all but missed the Z axis lead screw nut and just discovered that all 4 were loose. One was just snug and 3 were at least a mm loose.

Dhatw.
[/quote]

[/quote]

It is correct and have to be loose as is, do not tight it !!!

Best Regards

I got the same result using yellow Z-ABS. Balls curl up, nozzle knocks them off.

Martin…what about the screws? Should they be tight or somewhat loose?

[quote name=Andre]Martin…what about the screws? Should they be tight or somewhat loose?
[/quote]

He said above to keep them loose.

I think that wasn’t there when I posted… Maybe he added it while I was posting.

Martin, …how loose do they have to be exactly and why?

My guess is because it could create tension if the Z screw and two Z rods aren’t perfectly in line. The rods keep the bed flat so it should be ok with a little movement around the screw.

[quote name=The6uest]My guess is because it could create tension if the Z screw and two Z rods aren’t perfectly in line. The rods keep the bed flat so it should be ok with a little movement around the screw.
[/quote]

Exactly, it’s called over constraint. I just didn’t like how loose the 3 screws were.

[quote name=dhatw][quote=The6uest]My guess is because it could create tension if the Z screw and two Z rods aren’t perfectly in line. The rods keep the bed flat so it should be ok with a little movement around the screw.
[/quote]

Exactly, it’s called over constraint. I just didn’t like how loose the 3 screws were.
[/quote]

This change come after manufacture was done, honestly there we should assembly only one screw but then I expect flood of questions as “I got my Zortrax and 3 screws at Z nut are missing!!!” so 4pcs of screw is assembled to give visual presence :slight_smile:

Best Regards

It took me 3 tries to get this one to print properly.

First one at 10%, I stopped it before it got 8% complete as the bearings were all over the place.

The second one, I stopped it at 45% complete as 3 of the bearings were floating and 2 of them were misshaped and 2 more were broken pieces. It was done with 30% support

The third one came out very nice, I did it with 50% support. A few of the bearings are not true round but nothing that you would really notice if you didn’t look for it. Of course, if I was going to actually use it as bearing piece it would make a difference down the road if I didn’t keep it lube with dry silicon.

Glad to see that I could make this bearing with an extruder and not need a resin laser machine.

Dave Chase

[quote name=Martin Olchanowski][quote=dhatw][quote=The6uest]My guess is because it could create tension if the Z screw and two Z rods aren’t perfectly in line. The rods keep the bed flat so it should be ok with a little movement around the screw.
[/quote]

[/quote]

This change come after manufacture was done, honestly there we should assembly only one screw but then I expect flood of questions as “I got my Zortrax and 3 screws at Z nut are missing!!!” so 4pcs of screw is assembled to give visual presence :slight_smile:

Best Regards
[/quote]

Martin, you might consider posting a sticky about this. I can see a lot of people (like me, for instance) finding those screws loose and tightening them.

I had the exact same issues with that print and it worked with 50 degree support. I think the issue might be with the zcode generated on the mac version because when I did it on the pc version there were no issues.

[quote name=Nick]I had the exact same issues with that print and it worked with 50 degree support. I think the issue might be with the zcode generated on the mac version because when I did it on the pc version there were no issues.
[/quote]

I had issue with PC but I used the default 30 for support.