Nozzle crashes into print-bed during calibration / start.

Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem during calibration or start of a print.

I recently replaced an older nozzle after i "accidentally" warped it with a torch attempting to clean it.

At first I thought the nozzle was dirty and would not contact with the bed. 

With the new nozzle, I run into the same problem. 

- When I calibrate, it starts in the rear left corner, and the bed jams into the nozzle, and wont stop. (I turn printer off)

- When I start a print, it starts in the middle, and does the same exact thing.

I have checked the connectors on the bed, and the nozzle is clean.

I even moved the extruder sideways just a little during the process to get a new contact point since the bed had an indent where it always touches.

No luck, except for it detecting it one time, and then crashing right after.

I have a new perf board coming in, in hopes of fixing this problem. (I think the indents have to do with it, as the metal surface was damaged from the crashes.

On a side note, I would love to have the option to manually control the zero before a print.

That is how I have always done it on a CNC machine to zero a tool with a piece of paper. 

I know some other people have run into this problem in the forums but I have not found a solution.

Hope this sheds some light on this issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

Perforated plate replace should solve your problem. Please also check the platform cables. If it will not help please contact at the support at support(at)zortrax.com

You can still level your platform using piece of paper (on turned off machine), however zero heigh before print should be found automaticly - any manual sollutions can cause problems for less experienced users. 

Perforated plate replace should solve your problem. Please also check the platform cables. If it will not help please contact at the support at support(at)zortrax.com

You can still level your platform using piece of paper (on turned off machine), however zero heigh before print should be found automaticly - any manual sollutions can cause problems for less experienced users. 

Okay good, thanks Filip, I will see how the new perf board goes. 

I do level the bed with paper with the motors disconnected, it is just the problem at the start of the print when it has to find the z0.

Thanks!

Jack

Check the little connector. You may have touched the 3 little pins with the scraper. It happened to me once. Check the pins for damage.

Check the little connector. You may have touched the 3 little pins with the scraper. It happened to me once. Check the pins for damage.

You know what? I think that may be the problem too. I did have my scraper skip on me once, and touched the connector. 

Also, while it was moving up for calibration, i forced the extruder to the side just a little to have it touch a clean metal surface on the board, and it still crashed.

I also put aluminum foil on the center so it can bridge a connection, and still no luck.

So you may be right. 

As soon as i figure it out I will post it here.

Thanks,

Jack

The position of the little connector is a bit “unlucky” considering that a sharp blade is constantly used around it.

I wonder if it could be mounted on the underside of the perfboard in combination with a little cutout in the aluminum platform. Or alternatively on the underside of a little tab that extends out.

Use a magnifying glass and a sharp soldering iron tip… I could fix mine this way.

The position of the little connector is a bit "unlucky" considering that a sharp blade is constantly used around it.

I wonder if it could be mounted on the underside of the perfboard in combination with a little cutout in the aluminum platform. Or alternatively on the underside of a little tab that extends out.

Use a magnifying glass and a sharp soldering iron tip… I could fix mine this way.

That would be neat, and it will give it a better look too if it were underneath.

The problem was infact the perf board had a bad dent.

I tested the connections, and for anyone who would be wondering, the board has a connection to the right connector of the 3 when looking from the front.

Anyways, I got around my problem until my new perf board arrives by placing a thin layer of aluminum foil where the hot end checks for the zero.

If anyone does try this, make sure you remove the foil right after! 

See picture below!

http://i.imgur.com/Z3ATDeP.jpg

I've had the printer since February and have had zero issues with it until today. The exact same thing is happening to my printer. Did the new platform fix the issue for you?

I've had the printer since February and have had zero issues with it until today. The exact same thing is happening to my printer. Did the new platform fix the issue for you?

Make sure nozzle and silver square in center of platform are CLEAN.. This is where  the electrical connection to determine zero happens.. Also check small connector for tight fit. Make sure not to hit this with scraper as it might damage the small leads connecting to board.

Theos I was in the same boat as you.  New in January and no big problems except the nozzle crash you mention.  The new perf bed did fix the issue for me.  Like Kyle said, cleaning the contacting surface and nozzle are important

Make sure nozzle and silver square in center of platform are CLEAN.. This is where  the electrical connection to determine zero happens.. Also check small connector for tight fit. Make sure not to hit this with scraper as it might damage the small leads connecting to board.

Theos I was in the same boat as you.  New in January and no big problems except the nozzle crash you mention.  The new perf bed did fix the issue for me.  Like Kyle said, cleaning the contacting surface and nozzle are important

Thanks for the reply guys...I swapped a new nozzle in, and made sure the surface was clean but there is a dent where it happened and then it happened in the back left corner during auto calibration causing another little dent. I contacted my re-seller and zortrax support just to see who can help me first. 

I'm going to post some pictures and see if you guys spot anything problems with the small connector wire, or where it connects to on the perf board, and where the dent happened from the crash. Also I cannot remove 5 of the screws from the perf board because they were over torqued by whoever installed them. If i try to unscrew them they just strip. So it's like a need an entire new platform which I've seen on here that some people have gotten. 

20150422_221444.jpg?dl=0

20150422_221454.jpg?dl=0

20150422_222305.jpg?dl=0

20150422_225111.jpg?dl=0

You might be able to get the M3 screws out with a small Torx bit. I have done this many times on stripped allen heads. Pictures don't open for some reason..

You might be able to get the M3 screws out with a small Torx bit. I have done this many times on stripped allen heads. Pictures don't open for some reason..

Thanks for the reply Kyle, I will try uploading them again

wjFs7BB.jpg

Hfu9GHQ.jpg

ArVqoq2.jpg

mrUy61C.jpg

The pins of the platform connector have some damage from the scraper. The right pin has a pretty deep cut, the middle one a shallow one (the scraper corner must have gotten right in between the two pins). This may be the cause for your crashes.

Here is what I would do next (assuming you have soldering skills or know someone who could help you):

I would try to resolder the pins…just a quick reheat of the solder…this should take care of the cuts. You can also check the conductivity between the pins and the platform squares (attach the voltemeter to the pins inside of the connector housing). At least one of the pins should show contact to the plates. Do that before and after the soldering.

Since your platform crashed so hard, your contact points on the squares are now damaged. You can see on the pictures that the conductive coating is gone.

Even if you fix the connector pins you probably will still crash due to the missing coating…

There is one trick that I did on one of our printers here where the contact point was damaged: I moved the point a tad over by slightly (!) bending the lever of one of the homing switches. E.g. if you bend the lever to the right the head will home a mm or two further to the right…and it will also do the z height cal a mm further right…and thus touch down next to the damaged point.

Yep.. They look damaged.. :huh: :( The one on the left looks bad.

The pins of the platform connector have some damage from the scraper. The right pin has a pretty deep cut, the middle one a shallow one (the scraper corner must have gotten right in between the two pins). This may be the cause for your crashes.

Here is what I would do next (assuming you have soldering skills or know someone who could help you):

I would try to resolder the pins…just a quick reheat of the solder…this should take care of the cuts. You can also check the conductivity between the pins and the platform squares (attach the voltemeter to the pins inside of the connector housing). At least one of the pins should show contact to the plates. Do that before and after the soldering.

Since your platform crashed so hard, your contact points on the squares are now damaged. You can see on the pictures that the conductive coating is gone.

Even if you fix the connector pins you probably will still crash due to the missing coating…

There is one trick that I did on one of our printers here where the contact point was damaged: I moved the point a tad over by slightly (!) bending the lever of one of the homing switches. E.g. if you bend the lever to the right the head will home a mm or two further to the right…and it will also do the z height cal a mm further right…and thus touch down next to the damaged point.

Yep.. They look damaged.. :huh: :( The one on the left looks bad.

So I ordered a new perf board on friday, it arrived today. After getting all but three screws out I literally ripped the old board off gently and the remaining screws were easy to get out. I installed the new board and I ran an auto calibrate and no issues what so ever. It was definitely the perf board and I appreciate your guys' information and willing to help me. It is greatly appreciated and I am happy once again printing! I might get a couple perf boards and hot ends to have an inventory for backup!

Good to hear! :slight_smile:

Awesome!!! Be careful with that scraper.. ;)