Performance 3-D nozzles!

I ordered their Elite and Hercules series and did a test with the Elite nozzle by accident (wanted to try BronzeFil with the Hercules and took the wrong nozzle).

I noticed that there is filament climbing up into the heater block and squeezed thru the upper mount screws, creating a coating of burned filament all over the heater block. I thought I remembered a chat session in that such behavior was mentioned for the first series of that nozzles, but this was months ago and I expected this to be fixed in my December order.

I swapped my Hotend for cleaning that dirty one later, that was last week.  Today I also tried the complete new Hercules series nozzle.

Same issue, now the smell of burned filament is all over in every room of the house and the next Hotend needs extensive cleaning.

I have no idea how they can release such crap to customers (and charge money for it) except they never tested their nozzles with an M200.  :wub:

I ordered their Elite and Hercules series and did a test with the Elite nozzle by accident (wanted to try BronzeFil with the Hercules and took the wrong nozzle).

I noticed that there is filament climbing up into the heater block and squeezed thru the upper mount screws, creating a coating of burned filament all over the heater block. I thought I remembered a chat session in that such behavior was mentioned for the first series of that nozzles, but this was months ago and I expected this to be fixed in my December order.

I swapped my Hotend for cleaning that dirty one later, that was last week.  Today I also tried the complete new Hercules series nozzle.

Same issue, now the smell of burned filament is all over in every room of the house and the next Hotend needs extensive cleaning.

I have no idea how they can release such crap to customers (and charge money for it) except they never tested their nozzles with an M200.  :wub:

Pulled my stock nozzle and compared it against the CAD at Performance 3D.   Looks like there are at least two inside bore chamfers on the P3D  I dont think is present on the stock nozzel.... at least one of those appears to be on a sealing face on the stock nozzle.  Possible I could be wrong about that though as it's hard to see deep into the bore.

However... I also noticed that their CAD drawing is under-defined.... they forgot to dimension the bore hole chamfer (or the bore depth, which would have defined the chamfer). If they are sending these out for manufacture.... who knows what they are getting back. :rolleyes:

I ordered 4 of the Hercules nozzles and have two of them running without any issues sofar.  Been using them for about two weeks.  I liked them so much that I ordered 4 more.  Hope I don't have any issues out of them as they're expensive.

I used them on a V1 Hotend and an early V2 Hotend, what Hotend do you use (and what time you got it if V2)?

I have all V2's.  Should all be the latest version.

Hi

I have Elite nozzle, mounted on a V2. I had at the beginning some leaks but it was my bad, nozzle was not tighten enough (and nozzle was not hot enough I think). I print now with it for more than a month, without any leaks.

Laurent

I made that mistake once.  Damaged board.  Won't do that again...LOL

I tightened the nozzles just like I do with the Z-Nozzles. Never had an issue like that before, just one original nozzle that broke because I tightened too much.

Don't want to use too much force with that P3D nozzles and end up with a unusable hotend.

I tightened the nozzles just like I do with the Z-Nozzles. Never had an issue like that before, just one original nozzle that broke because I tightened too much.

Don't want to use too much force with that P3D nozzles and end up with a unusable hotend.

I use and recommend the method of hand calibrated screw tightening: Turn until the threads break, and then back half a turn.

:o :lol: !

I use and recommend the method of hand calibrated screw tightening: Turn until the threads break, and then back half a turn.

Of course. And not only doing by hand, but just use your fingers to (un-)screw.

That is what separates the boys from the men!

I've taken these nozzles off and gone back to standard brass Z nozzles.

No advantage, only a couple of bucks saving and the bloody things oozed melted plastic out the top of the hot end.

Thank you for bringing these problems to our attention, this is the first we've heard of the issue.  To our knowledge, nothing with the nozzle geometry changed when Zortrax released the V2 hotend, but we were still wondering if that could be the issue.  However, at least a few users in this thread report they are using it on V2 hotends without issue.  

Now that we know about this we can and will investigate further.  I am sorry for those users that have had this issue with leaking, and we plan to get to the bottom of it as quickly as we can.  

We take these issues very seriously as we pride ourselves with the quality of our products and this is obviously not the user experience we want any of our customers to have.  

I will try to post back with updates as we have them.  In the mean time, I would ask anyone who's using our nozzles, with or without problems, to post their details if possible (when and where bought, which version hotend).  

Best regards,

Jay

P3-d

People with printers that still have any kind of warranty probably better not post their details here.

Thank you for bringing these problems to our attention, this is the first we've heard of the issue.

I don't believe this!

It was discussed for your first Elite Series by folks that have contact to P3D months ago.

I don't believe this!

It was discussed for your first Elite Series by folks that have contact to P3D months ago.

Z-Renegade, 

Can you be more specific?  I know there was an initial thread from mid-2015 which largely rec'd good reviews of our nozzle.  Beyond that, I think we've shown that we respond as quickly as we can to inquiries, and anyone who has ever emailed our customer service knows how quickly we get back to them and how we work with them to resolve issues.  

I've been doing business with P3D for about 8 months.  Their customer service is excellent, period.  I run the Hercules version on 7+ units and just ordered more. If you have a problem with their product(s) and don't address it with them, you should have..  They will make it right.  I, personally, will continue to order from them.

Z-Renegade, 

Can you be more specific?  I know there was an initial thread from mid-2015 which largely rec'd good reviews of our nozzle.  Beyond that, I think we've shown that we respond as quickly as we can to inquiries, and anyone who has ever emailed our customer service knows how quickly we get back to them and how we work with them to resolve issues.  

I did not talk about reviews or posts in public forums. There have been contacts directly with P3D (it was not me) and no I will not provide further details since I got this info not for addressing it to the public.

I've been doing business with P3D for about 8 months.  Their customer service is excellent, period.  I run the Hercules version on 7+ units and just ordered more. If you have a problem with their product(s) and don't address it with them, you should have..  They will make it right.  I, personally, will continue to order from them.

That's o.k., but I am not the only one experiencing that issues and if you think about your own posts lately you might recognize that the machines behavior is not the same for all users.

And since this nozzles have not proofed any advantage over the original ones except the price, a warning about that they could leak is right.

Especially for overseas customers that have far less price advantage than you might have.

I attribute most of my posts to a "learning curve" with the M200.  My experiences, positive or negative, are relevant and should be considered so that a proper "feel" for the situation can be obtained.  This lends itself toward finding a solution for those that are experiencing problems and rectifying them.  Thanks for reading my posts.