Printing issues - Printer problem?

So here I try to explain what I meant in the threat about the Michelangelo bust I just posted in the printroom.

to start off here is zcode which looks fine to me:

now here some pic from the evening before going to bed only thing I noticed the support of the neck not being printed but it still seem to be going fine

and then in the morning the surprise:

I wouldnt care as much as the support but the ugly smearing at the end its really unexplainable!!! (the worse part is that this morning I tried to start a new print since the bust and with different model and I am getting the same smearing and so I had to stop the print :(   What is this about?   the zcode is fine.... whats the problem with the printer?  I cant believe I am running already in this kind of serious issues just right after few prints . I hope to get some support on this sooner than later. Thanks!

and here is the print I was trying to start this morning :(  Basically now I cannot print at all!  HELP please!

frankieIssue1.jpg

frankieZcode.JPG

I had similar problems, at least. 

The first one, the strange support position, seems to be caused by printer head knocking on the model. It was in the right position on beginning. Seems to be...

The smearing, I had it in some models that have a shallow angle like yours.
I don't found a good solution for neither one, but for the smearing a finer resolution, thicker walls (I suppose you are hollowing the model), heavier filling and Z-Ultrat sems to help. But I didn't controled comparisons, let's wait what support will say.

btw, very fine job!

Send PM to Rafal, he should help you :) http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/user/4-rafal-tomasiak/

I think you have the famous loose pulley grub screw…

well if this is a problem that happens to other users and this is the support part of the forum it would be better to have an official answer here so everyone can know about possible solutions.

'loose pulley grub screw'......whats that? 

thanks for taking time and reply!

The grub screws in the pulley on the stepper motor is loose which makes the pulley slip on the motor shaft. You should check that all grub screws are tight.

Check also that all other pulleys are tight.

is there a picture of those screws? I am not a technical person here :/

tried to print that out again much smaller but same thing, had to stop the print.

Kinda sucks that just not even 2 months (and I have used it so little) I am already running in these issues (or is it normal and expected afterall ?)

It's funny aas the advertise makes you think and believe its all nice and easy to print but then when it comes to the facts its not at all! sorry about nagging but it's frustrating!

http://alfa-tech3d.com/images/produkt/sparparts/belt%20and%20pulley/Pulley720-062005_1-p.png

Look at the pic… The two little black dots on the bottom of the pulley have little screw in the them. You have to use one of the allen keys and tighten the screws. It’s a bit harder to get to the ones on the motors. If you are not up to it ask a friend who can do basic wrenching. He should have no problem with that.

Screws come loose… It just happens…

thanks Andre for your time and answer, I will see what I can do. Finger crossed its just that and not something else. 

Still it would be nice to have a better troubleshooting guide for the problems that sooner or later all the users will run into.

I just checked those little screws but they didnt seem to be loose at all to me :/

Please open the support ticket and you will get instruction how and what to tight on the pulleys, your screws can looks tightened but somehow are not tight enough.

Best Regards

evilmaul:

Check all pulleys which are mounted on the smooth rods, use hand to check if some pulley moves, and tighten 2 small screws in pulley.

2r2ngyd.png

2wlr1w7.png

I opened up a ticket, lets hear about an official reply.

In the meantime I checked those screws and again they felt quite tight to me. Tried to print again this morning and same thing!! :(

You also can check the pulleys on the stepper motor: http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/434-clicking-noise/#entry11970

:) this is becoming a way too technical for me. 

I do understand the nature of 'amateur' 3d printing at home but I didnt  think I had to mess up with the mechanic this much.

I wished it was easier! perhaps I need to wait few more years to have a printer that prints easily just as advertised today (nothing against Zortrax in particular as I guess those are common issues with other 3d printer makers as well)

Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling about this that I wont be able to solve the problem on my own and there are no maintenance/support centers in the US to send the printer to and I will just have to throw it out of the window. Wasted a whole weekend on it (frustation rising) . Time to spend the rest of the sunday in a more pleasurable and productive way! 

Comparing Zortrax with other printers (this for 500$ and this for 50k$) I can say that Zortrax is almost perfect at this time. The 3D printing technology is still young so if you think about non-service machine I think you should wait few years (as you wrote) :)

The open service centers in other countries required a lot of work and money, I think when Zortrax start build the distributors network it will be the first step to open service centers.

3D printers is not for everyone, because required some technical skils as a other machines like CNC etc. I'm sure that you'll need to send printer to Poland if you can't diagnose and correct the problem.

thanks Mark for all of your answers! yes I think I am getting already close to be done, at least for now, with home 3d printing.

I want to be able to focus my energies and time on sculpting and not into solving technical issues (at least not like after barely 2 months and very few prints). And in that sense perhaps i should be looking in to printing services or maybe try out a different printing technology (but I am sure even in that case there will be other problem to get around)

@evilmaul

For big sculps/figurines and anything big and solid you should use Z-ULTRAT material I think it will solve most of your problems (de-layeration, changes of temperature), somehow Z-ABS is ok but not for very big models this is why Z-ULTRAT was introduced.

Also mix scraps of white Z-ABS with Acetone to create "ABS Juice" spread a lot of it everywhere on the platform - it will strongly increase adhesion. 

Best Regards

@evilmaul

For big sculps/figurines and anything big and solid you should use Z-ULTRAT material I think it will solve most of your problems (de-layeration, changes of temperature), somehow Z-ABS is ok but not for very big models this is why Z-ULTRAT was introduced.

Also mix scraps of white Z-ABS with Acetone to create "ABS Juice" spread a lot of it everywhere on the platform - it will strongly increase adhesion. 

Best Regards

Hey Martin.. Did you notice the last print though? It keeps moving forward on every layer. Compared to Z-Suite tool path..