Rattle Noise during high speed moves

Hey gang,

As I've been doing more and more prints, I've noticed that my printer makes a high pitched rattle/buzz/vibrating noise. It appears to only do this when the print head moving at high speed, and apparently only in the Forward/Backwards direction (Towards/Away from the spool).

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm assuming that it is either loose hardware or a rod that needs lube. Before I go on a wild goose chase, I figured I'd ask if someone has solved this already.

Cheers,

-J

I have a similar sound, but when going side to side, only on fast travel as well....

I have a high pitched loud noise on fast travel moves but I had put it down to normal operation - it is very loud though !

Cheers,

Jay

Could it be a resonant frequency?  I get a rattle from sheet metal on my CNC mill at certain feed rates.  Upgraded stepper motors are reported to eliminate or greatly reduce the noise on that particular mill.

Mike

It could be a resonate frequency issue, but the issue is intermittent (The same high speed move doesn't always cause the noise to happen). And apparently Peter gets a similar sound, but going in the left to right direction, as opposed to my printer where it happens on the the forward/backward direction.

I'm not inclined to thing that it's a normal operation noise, given the high build quality of the printer. In fact, I haven't been able to find anything else that is loose on my printer, which is what made me wonder if it was a lubrication issue on the linear rails. Now that I think about it, I wonder if it is the spool vibrating on the spool holder.

I'm going to send a video off to the support team and see what they think.

Try removing the metal grill cover of the fan and see if the noise is still there with it taken off.

Did you lube your rails already with the supplied white grease? I had some noise when my printer was new and a little grease did the trick. It was the bushings getting into a resonance.

Try removing the metal grill cover of the fan and see if the noise is still there with it taken off.

I'll give that a shot, but the grill seems securely attached.

Did you lube your rails already with the supplied white grease? I had some noise when my printer was new and a little grease did the trick. It was the bushings getting into a resonance.

I didn't try this yet. I was hoping that since the printer was brand new, the rails were appropriately lubed already. I'll give this a try as well.

my printer is the exact same. it seems like an unnecessary noise so its quite annoying. also there was a loose nut and i have no idea where it goes lol :(

That issue of the buzz ca be quite common. But maybe at higher speeds I currently don't have an idea of how fast the M200 works. But on a SSYS 400 those sounds are quite normal and that's a hell of a solid machine, it can be however due to high rate use but since your printers are all mostly brand new we can have some factors  such as band tension, or if its really bad some missalignment on an axis. As long as you don't have problems on print quality you can be safe. Check every fitting and every nut and bolt also something can be loose.

I just received my printer yesterday and ran my first print (the ball bearing assembly).  I also got some noise on high speed travel but was too enthralled with watching it print to do much exploration.  I did see evidence of grease on at least one bushing.  I'll be watching here for other's experience and will follow up here if a solution occurs to me.

Mike

I consider mine to be very quiet, however I do hear a high pitch sound during fast movements, but for the most part my photo printer, "Epson Stylus", is just as loud if not louder especially during high speed movements.

i managed to make mine heaps quieter by using the supplied grease (little white tube) on all of the railings (pipes only). I still get noise on super fast movements (normal, id say) but beforehand i was getting the noise on medium-fast which has now stopped :)

I talked to support about this issue - they advised me to use the PTFE lube that they supplied. This helped, but it only lasted about 10 days. I just re-applied it and we'll see how it goes.

@Adrian - Make sure you talk to support about the bolts. Mine had 2 that were missing. One of them was rolling around loose in the box, the other 1 I had to get a replacement for.

Has anyone detected that the buildplate supports are loose?

I mean the 4 pins on the build plate base they are like a guide for the platform. Mine are loose, or this is normal?

Hi ahntlia,

The loosened pillars does happen once in a while - probably caused by the effect of cooling and heating repeatedly. It not an issue - the posts can be tightened using an Allen key. It’s easier to tighten them with the build plate in place though as there is a lot of lateral movement on them and it’s easy to tighten and them find they don’t allign with the holes !

Cheers,

Jay :slight_smile:

Well I've done that and the weird thing is that mine were like this just the time the printer arrived. So they were loose...

Pillars aren't tightened to make easier mounting and dismounting the buildplate. During the transport screws can be loosened even more. 

Robert: I found that I needed to loosen the pillars every time I remove the build plate, and I re-tighten them after I re-level the build plate. Is this normal?

Robert: I found that I needed to loosen the pillars every time I remove the build plate, and I re-tighten them after I re-level the build plate. Is this normal?

A hint, dont pull out the bed parallel to the floor, make it at an angle to the left(at least mine is to the left) and mount it the same way. Mi pillars are fully tighten and with this procedure bed comes out and goes in smootly.

For mounting first mount the pillars from the left, and for removing fist lift the right side.