Scraper with dented edges causing damage to print bed perf board

As you can see in the images - the scraper metal quality is so bad that just from removing models from the print bed - it's causing damage to the scraper edge which is resulting

in heavy scratches on the perf board. The printer is less than 2 weeks old and the scraper is already in this condition and has made me damaged the perf board. This is the second Zortrax that I have set up and the first one had a different (non branded) scraper which was and still is perfect (almost a year later). Why is the Zortrax branded scraper such bad quality? This printer was purchased by my workplace on my recommendation and I'm pretty disappointed with this as it is embarrassing..What can be done to resolve this issue? 

I have a file that I use on mine. I have hit the screws with it a couple times. Takes the sharp edge right off. Are you the only one using the scraper? If not I would make sure all who use it know that the bevel goes up not down.. That can cause it to dig into the bed killing the edge too.

Yes, the the recent scrapers are crap. Still using the one that came with my first M200 and the ones from my Ups for 1-2 years, not a dent on them.

I have a file that I use on mine. I have hit the screws with it a couple times. Takes the sharp edge right off. Are you the only one using the scraper? If not I would make sure all who use it know that the bevel goes up not down.. That can cause it to dig into the bed killing the edge too.

It's literally hardly been used. We've done 3 prints and that's the condition of the scraper. Haven't hit the screws once. It's just a really rubbish scraper. The scratches on the bed aren't due to the orientation of the scraper - they're due to the terrible gouges on the edge from it being so awful. Sad times for a new printer. Thanks for the tips though Kyle! Appreciate it

Yes, the the recent scrapers are crap. Still using the one that came with my first M200 and the ones from my Ups for 1-2 years, not a dent on them.

Same here.. I am still using the original one that I got over a year ago now.  It has a few burrs on it but nothing that bad.  My bed is a little scratched up though I don't think that matters much because the raft filament fills the gaps.

I've got some huge gouges in my build plate from being careless - they don't affect prints at all, as long as the nozzle can still make electrical contact for auto-height sensing.

As to files etc. - just go buy a good quality scraper, fer cryin' out loud :)

I've got some huge gouges in my build plate from being careless - they don't affect prints at all, as long as the nozzle can still make electrical contact for auto-height sensing.

I'm not concerned about the scratches/gouges - my printer has heaps but I've had it for a while now. Bed shouldn't look like that after 2 weeks and 3 prints. And as for buying a scraper .. it's easier said then done considering I've convinced the company I''m working for to fork out all the money for it ..now i gotta ask for a good scraper too? sheeesh :P

I've had the original scraper for....well since they first shipped the machines out which is a long time and a few minor scratches but works wonderful. Found a scraper at the store for 2.99, but havent felt the need to get one yet. 

You can't make an omelete with out cracking the egg shells. 

If I were you, I'd invite the bosses to see the machine because i am sure they know that an unmarked work surface means someone isn't doing their job. lolound a scraper at the store for 2.99, but havent felt the need to get one. 

Cheers.

I've had the original scraper for....well since they first shipped the machines out which is a long time and a few minor scratches but works wonderful. Found a scraper at the store for 2.99, but havent felt the need to get one yet. 

You can't make an omelete with out cracking the egg shells. 

If I were you, I'd invite the bosses to see the machine because i am sure they know that an unmarked work surface means someone isn't doing their job. lolound a scraper at the store for 2.99, but havent felt the need to get one. 

Cheers.

I'm not being a cheapass so suggesting a 3 dollar scraper isn't solving the problem..its the principle of already having an amazing scraper (the original one) and then being sent a terrible/useless one that unnecessarily scratches the bed - of course I'm going to inquire/*INFORM* of their terrible decision to change. The bed of two weeks looks in worse shape than my one of nearly a year..pretty fair argument so no need to make me feel silly for bringing it up! :D

mee too

you are obviously right bringing it up and informing us and thanks for that but i think that you are wrong for using it after the first signs of tip deformation that led to platform scratches, this could have been avoided IMHO

Happened to me on the second print too. The scraper got bent after it was partly through the raft and made a big hole in the middle of the central tinned sqare.

It has a very soft metal so I threw it away immediately.

Since then I just cleaned the perfboard with acetone because the prints were sticking too much and it was a very hard job to get them off the platform.

Now the prints detach easily, I just have to pick them up by hand without any pull, after the bed is cold. While hot it is impossible to get them off.

I keep seeing how people struggle to get good adhesion to bed while I always had problems with prints sticking too well (with all printers that I got).

The only thing that I do differently (I suppose, since I don't see anyone mention it) is to keep all the filament in a huge closed box with a few room dehumidifiers thrown inside. Each dehumidifier box is good for 70sqm so the filament is really dry.

Looks like I'll be picking up a better scraper first thing. Thanks for the heads up!

you are obviously right bringing it up and informing us and thanks for that but i think that you are wrong for using it after the first signs of tip deformation that led to platform scratches, this could have been avoided IMHO

Obviously if I had noticed first I wouldn’t have used it…And considering I have been using a perfect one for almost a year I have every right to assume that Wouldn’t happen - so I strongly reject your statement that it could have been avoided because those scratches are from one print that led me to closer inspect the rubbish scraper.

peace mate, i couldnt have guessed that it happened during the first print. is it the yellow one?

Same thing happened to my scraper, fortunately a bit less damage to my build plate. The metal is almost softer than the plastic it is supposed to remove (the yellow one, got it with a v3 machine). I filed it smooth and tried to harden the metal, but it warped beyond repair. As a solution, I got a decent putty knife and gave it a sharp edge on a grinder. Works like a treat, would recommend it.

Julia, I tried to find a chisel nosed scraper, but couldn't!!  Other than buying a putty scraper and putting an edge on it. 

Do you have a link to some you have found ?

Im gonna pick up this one. Looks kinda cool. http://www.amazon.com/Allway-Tools-3-Inch-Chisel-Scraper/dp/B000KKOPCO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421984103&sr=8-4&keywords=chisel+scraper

Of course this one seems nice too. http://www.amazon.com/Scraper-Teppanyaki-Angle-Slanted-Stainless-Commercial/dp/B0017HQOOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421984302&sr=8-1&keywords=slanted+scraper

Hard to tell if both sides are bevelled or just one side like the original scraper I have. 

Sometimes not seeing in person sucks but when they have it in retail stores the price is twice as much.

now i understand your problem, and ill make a call back some of you may remember, this was shipped with some printers.....691

2015-01-22 19.38.27.jpg

Never saw that one, Michael. My favorite is actually the one that ships with the Afinia. Nice yellow handle, nice hardened steel blade. The new Zortrax scraper looks great with sexy contoured yellow handle, but the blade is crap. I assumed (yes, yes) that better ones are easy to find but I confess I haven't actually searched.