strongest material

Hi all , time to pick peoples brains here .

I'v been working on two projects for the last six months or so , first of cause is a larger version of the magnetic engine (see the print section) , the second is a working Parsons steam turbine . no matter what i do they cant stand up to the pressure or force using the standard z-abs , they crack and break .. and when I mean break the turbine flies apart like shrapnel (even had peace go through the wall) , had the turbing spinning up to 41,000 rpm today in under 5 minutes it broke apart again , my question to the group is .. what is the strongest material that can be used with the Zortrax printer , I want to finish these projects within the next year while I still can  ...

thanks for any input

http://support.zortrax.com/home/zortrax-m200-overview/materials/

http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/1552-tensile-strength-of-z-prints/?hl=tensile

This may help you. ;)

PolyMax.

it’s not all about material properties. The layers don’t bond or fuse well enough to be used in serious engineering applications.

it's not all about material properties. The layers don't bond or fuse well enough to be used in serious engineering applications.

Tried PolyMax, have you?

No,just the Z materials. Can you print a ø15 bar/cylinder in polymax and bend it without breaking? Try bending any other homogenous plastic cylinder, I will eat my hat if polymax is even close, strengthwise. Another thing is that you get stressrisers between every layer, due to the valleys. Think of it like bending a threaded rod.

in general you have a point BUT knowing the inherent disadvantages of this technology compared to injection molding (setting aside for now it's great advantages and how strong polymax actually is), what stops you from printing this bar horizontally and not vertically?

The issue is not whether FDM Material X is stronger than homogenous plastic, or steel, or reinforced concrete, but whether it might be strong enough to be useful in southoz's application. If the only filaments you have experience with are Z-materials (which are among the weakest I've used), then it's probably not a good idea to be making blanket statements about all FDM materials, imo.

Well, if you want that cylinder to be round and with a decent surface, you want to print it vertically :wink: Anyway, most machine elements are stressed by more than one type of stress, such as bending, torsion,e, shear, tensile, compressive, and for the threadstarters turbine, you get centrifugal forces and even out of balance forces due to inaccuracies of the printing process. Unless you want to design a component to be manufacured by printing, it’s just not a practical route to take.

Hehe, you are discussing an issue you didn't have seen what it is about before.

I was tempted to add my 5 cents just right after the post was created, but I thought it over because if talking about some parts it doesn't make sense to discuss and others probably it will.

Why not ask the thread starter to show what parts are bursting?  :)

The OP only asked "what is the strongest material that can be used with the Zortrax printer", he didn't ask for help with his project per se, so I just tried to answer what he requested :)

Julia said : "If the only filaments you have experience with are Z-materials (which are among the weakest I've used), then it's probably not a good idea to be making blanket statements about all FDM materials, imo."

it is necessary and even urgent now that Zortrax offers other materials.

There are many other plastics with other characteristics that can be used with other printers and not with Zortrax.

Without these other filamants, there is no future for Zortrax !

I really hope that the future 3D printer Inventure will quickly use these other materials (Pla, carbon, nylon, flexible plastic, wood …)

(Pla, carbon, nylon, flexible plastic, wood ...)

I use all of these and more (except "rubber-like" flex materials) with good results on my M200s. It just takes a small modification and invalidation of warranty.

Sorry for starting an argument everyone , as you can see with my video in Print section I have been able to male perfectly working engines with pistons and cams all working together , the engine in video was made on the Up Plus 2 using z-abs and is still working 100% fine , the problem is when you expand the size and power (a 76.5 mm rare earth magnet instead of a 50mm one) this increases the output power by a factor of 3 .. and the z-abs cant take the stress on cam which always ends up breaking , with  the parsons turbine , it is the case that first cracks open and then the rotors ,  had the turbine goingn at just over 41,000 rmp yesterday at 90psi , at just over 25psi it's a steady 3000 rpm ... but at the higner speeds , at least with abs there doesnt seem to be a way of containing the damage and thats why I asked the question on what material was around that could handle the stress

after looking at the specs on the polymax going to give a go .. thanks :)

I never tried Polymax. I use PC-ABS from pro-pasta and so far that is the strongest material I used so far, besides the HTPLA which is post processed with heat after printing.

I couldn't find any stress test for the PC-ABS to show but where a print I did in Zultrat and PC-ABS- the one broke where the other just bent....of course both took a heck of a lot to do break and bend. Actually didn't think I would be able to break or bend but I kept applying force and my fingers hurt after. lol

so basically anything that can be used by an FDM printer can be used by the M200 but a slight modification is needed like Julia said. ;) Julia ROCKS!  :wub:

The OP only asked "what is the strongest material that can be used with the Zortrax printer", he didn't ask for help with his project per se, so I just tried to answer what he requested :)

Right, you answered the question. I was refering to the bars to be printed vertical or horizontal and cylinders that stand 15 psi pressure and the like.  :)

Julia said " It just takes a small modification and invalidation of warranty."

What kind of modifications ? Z temp ?Others ?

Hi all , time to pick peoples brains here .

I'v been working on two projects for the last six months or so , first of cause is a larger version of the magnetic engine (see the print section) , the second is a working Parsons steam turbine . no matter what i do they cant stand up to the pressure or force using the standard z-abs , they crack and break .. and when I mean break the turbine flies apart like shrapnel (even had peace go through the wall) , had the turbing spinning up to 41,000 rpm today in under 5 minutes it broke apart again , my question to the group is .. what is the strongest material that can be used with the Zortrax printer , I want to finish these projects within the next year while I still can  ...

thanks for any input

We strongly recommend using Z-Glass in that kind of projects (everything that concerns moving parts with cloves, that need to be strong).

Have you tried it?

Julia said " It just takes a small modification and invalidation of warranty."

What kind of modifications ? Z temp ?Others ?

We don't talk about such things here out of respect to the Z! lol

B)