support fail?

finally started to print again and there you go with setbacks once again.

Does anyone have an idea why support would fail twice (more than 20 hours wasted in 2 attempts)  with both 10 and 20 degree support?

Honestly I thought the model had enough already with 10 (the first attempt) then I went with 20 and this morning there you go again. It looks like to me the support that is generated from the print itself just doesnt stick enough and at some point collapse, but I would love to hear your opinion and Zortrax opinion as well. This is precious time and money wasted....

thanks

Marco

PS: bed has been leveled just before starting those 2 failed print, material is Z ABS

I remember that I also experienced problems with supports which attached to the model (and not the print platform) at their lower ends.  

You might consider rotating the model in zsuite (maybe so she is looking up ) to end up with a solution where you have no supports on the model... it will probably increase print time...

good luck

Andreas

I’ve seen it happening, too. Pretty much every time I print a bust. The supports are simply not attached well enough to the model surface. I guess this is a difficult one to balance from Zortrax’s point of view… If they attach it better, people will complain about damaged surfaces…

But I’m sure there is a way to attach it better without screwing up the surfaces too bad.

One thing that could help would be some kind of algorithm that would connect the small supports together (with little bridges)… This way they would help each other to stay in place.

well the thing is even the support behind her (ponytail) which was attached to the raft, failed and collapsed. At this point I am just thinking to start making my own support

it happened to me too, By chance I saw it pretty quickly

well the thing is even the support behind her (ponytail) which was attached to the raft, failed and collapsed. At this point I am just thinking to start making my own support

I tried using an stl with support that was generated from meshmixer and it kept crashing in z-suite, I turned support off as well. It was a fairly big stl though haven't tried it on a smaller one

In one print I paused and reinforced the support sticking it with blue tape, preventing too much movement and subsequent fall.

Ugly solution.

@zortrax:

Is there any chance that we will get a manual support feature ?

on the first failed print I did pause and tried to something about it, patch it up and glue some support on the raft but unfortunately didnt work out and I aborted the print after a few minutes. But we shouldnt be messing with it at all!!

+1 for the option to manually add support!

+1 for occasional (and thin) bridging between existing support to help strengthen it.

well time to try for the 3rd time with custom support and minimal height for zsuite support....lets see

PS printing time difference of only few minutes

After another 20 hr I finally got this printed with the custom support in order to reduce the height of Zsuite support (normal  and not lite)

Still tho been printing other pieces and I keep on seein the support falling, knocked down by the print head at some point....this is getting quite annoying as it's been consistently happening in the last few prints.

Zortrax...you are here and read thru the threads so....whats your take?

Same here even with small models, support is just getting lifted from raft... A total Mess.

It lack adhesion to the raft, I have found there is little adhesion from support to raft making it collapse on tall figures or just fail and lifting making a mess with the whole part. Hope to have an update soon.

I think I'm going with V008 and 0.4 firmware I don't remember having so many problems before.

one thing I can say (not sure I ve mentioned it before) that all the failures happened with 90 micron profile(Z ABS). Printing with the good old 140 profile now and all seem fine.

But again I printed with 90 micron before the latest updates and it printed just as well.

I'm trying this:

V04 firmware V008 zsuite 90 micron

Same model that failed before on a V3 machine

V05 Firmware V008 zsuite 90micron

Same model thath failed before on a V3 machine

Will also try

V04 firmware V009 90 micron

Same model on a V3

cool...looking forward to hear about the results.

thanks

one thing I can say (not sure I ve mentioned it before) that all the failures happened with 90 micron profile(Z ABS). Printing with the good old 140 profile now and all seem fine.

But again I printed with 90 micron before the latest updates and it printed just as well.

Martin has stated elsewhere here that 90u layers only work well with UltraT and Z-ABS should use 140u minimum at present.

Results not promising

All attemps were unsucessful.

I will Post pictures later.

Hmmm Julia  I and I guess us all would love to hear those statements 'before' we waste hours (days in my case) of printing and material. ...

Same here, 8 hours on two machines, and around  140 gr wasted.