Toshiba FlashAir on Zortrax M200

Once you've modified the card's config file per Laurent's instructions (and maybe named it ZORTRAX for good measure) and gotten its IP address from your router's device list (and locked its IP address to its MAC address), here's how to mount it under Win7:

http://www.onemetric.com.au/Documentation/Mounting-A-WebDAV-Share-Windows-7

Under MacOS, type Cmd-K or select Go -> Connect to Server in the Finder, then enter the card's IP address.

Hi,

Julia, de rien, c'est un plaisir !

I am happy it worked for you too.

David, using multiple cards at the same time should be ok, but I advise you to have a different APPNAME value on each card, because it is used according to documentation for NetBIOS & Bonjour protocols.

Laurent 

what channel are you using? maybe it's picky on them, i have seen that on other devices...

Yup, seems to be happier on Channel 8 than on "Auto". Also my router is directly behind the printer so maybe the card is in the "shadow" of the printer's back wall.

Hi

I don't usually post on forums but just had to say that the comments above have saved me hours getting a Flashair v3 working with my Zortrax.  I had to boost my wi-fi signal with a repeater but its now working perfectly - I can just drag and drop zcode files onto my printer!

Many thanks

Voudas, I do agree, and I think integrated basic wifi control plus flashair would be quite a good combination to use m200... but unfortunately,we now know it won't never be like that.

It could be like that, you showed Z a way to easy implement everything they declined to implement with WiFi and do even more, Z-Developers and Z-VIP just have to understand it…

With the FlashAir you enable the M200 for WiFi, nothing to deal with for Z, so that's easy going.

The FlashAir connects a file service (available to the customers network) to the printers SD-Card interface and the rest is easy going too.

Back in the 80s when Multiprocessing for home users was far away, we used add-on software like DesqView to enable concurrent DOS-Sessions. It was like using multiple CMD-Sessions on Windows wich was not available at this time (and later on not useable for a long time).

Those sessions share the same disk, just like the M200 and the customers network on the FlashAir SD. That way files can be managed on that disk and of course a control mechanism to control the M200 is also easy to implement.

To do that just some kind of semaphore processing is needed, that's nothing special, just some files that Z-Suite could create and write on the SD and the M200 firmware recognize as control orders and processes it accordingly. This can happen almost in realtime (when idle the printer could check the SD in intervals, when printing the intervals are at the point when next print data is retrieved from the SD).

Such a mechanism could be implemented in a few days of programming, the FlashAir could be an optional accessory to the M200 and the functions just enabled dynamically if the connection is available.

If Z has not to deal with WiFi (that's the customers part to setup) and they find the path to the M200 open by such a setup (Z-Suite can easily recognize that connection), the M200 could be opened for features that are beyond the competitions abilities (think of an integrated pronterface/printrun).

It's really easy.

Once you've modified the card's config file per Laurent's instructions (and maybe named it ZORTRAX for good measure) and gotten its IP address from your router's device list (and locked its IP address to its MAC address), here's how to mount it under Win7:

http://www.onemetric.com.au/Documentation/Mounting-A-WebDAV-Share-Windows-7

Under MacOS, type Cmd-K or select Go -> Connect to Server in the Finder, then enter the card's IP address.

What is the username and password for the webdav connection that you guys are using? I can't see a config setting for it and I've tried everything I thought it might be. 

Hi,

Your OS should not ask for login or password, there isn’t. Maybe you are not using the correct ip or path (do not forget to include DavWWWRoot on windows) ? You should be able to use APPNAME value instead of ip. If appname is printer01, you could be able to connect using \printer01\DavWWWRoot

EDIT:

I’ve just tested these URIs :

And all of them are ok when creating the new network location, no credentials asked.

What is the username and password for the webdav connection that you guys are using? I can't see a config setting for it and I've tried everything I thought it might be. 

Under MacOS it does ask me for credentials, but I just select "Log in as Guest" and I have full access.

I was trying to connect to the full path with the trailing DavWWWRoot but that was not working for the Mac. I didn't try the combination of just http://flashair(or IP) and Log in as Guest. It took both your answers for me to put it together. Thanks Julia and Laurent. It's funny all these years being on a Mac I still sometimes get stuck thinking like a Windows Server tech. 

Now I just have to wait for my printer to arrive :)

Update: Just realised it is showing in Finder as read only even though WebDav=2 and Upload=1 are set. Seems it's mounted read write. Anyway, I am a lot closer and I'll sort it out once it's in the M200. Maybe it's due to the fact I set it up as an AP in passthrough mode (Mode 6). I preferred this option because I am happy to connect direct to the cards network when I want to use it but found it handy to still have internet while connected. I might set it back to Mode 4 (AP only) and give it a try. 

This hack is to allow Flashair as Station Mode not Webdav access.

You don't will see it on Finder.

Flashair will automatically connect to your Wifi and you will access thru a Web interface on the address that show up in the DHCP list of your router. Look for the MAC address written on the Flashair.

I only had access after reinitializing the card with Flashair's software and modyfing the CONFIG file using Terminal and Vi editor.

The address my router assigned to Flashair was 192.168.1.4

Accessing 192.168.1.4/upload.cgi I can send zcode files to the printer.

Thank you Laurent!

The only tip I can add to anyone having trouble on Mac is to reinitialize the card with Flashair Utility then do a fresh Config editing.

This hack is to allow Flashair as Station Mode not Webdav access.

You don't will see it on Finder.

Flashair will automatically connect to your Wifi and you will access thru a Web interface on the address that show up in the DHCP list of your router. Look for the MAC address written on the Flashair.

I only had access after reinitializing the card with Flashair's software and modyfing the CONFIG file using Terminal and Vi editor.

The address my router assigned to Flashair was 192.168.1.4

Accessing 192.168.1.4/upload.cgi I can send zcode files to the printer.

Thank you Laurent!

The only tip I can add to anyone having trouble on Mac is to reinitialize the card with Flashair Utility then do a fresh Config editing.

Sure you can see it in Finder and Windows Explorer. No need for crappy web interface.

Screen shot 2015-08-31 at 11.14.03 AM.png

Screen shot 2015-08-31 at 11.14.24 AM.png

Screen shot 2015-08-31 at 11.14.36 AM.png

flashair win.JPG

My CONFIG file:

[Vendor]

CIPATH=/DCIM/100__TSB/FA000001.JPG
APPMODE=5
UPLOAD=1
WEBDAV=2
UPDIR=/
APPSSID=PDI
APPNETWORKKEY=*********
APPNAME=zortrax
APPAUTOTIME=250000
VERSION=FA9CAW3AW3.00.00
CID=02544d535733324731e5f8877900f301
PRODUCT=FlashAir
VENDOR=TOSHIBA
MASTERCODE=dc0ea18b0597
LOCK=1

Well... Lesson 1: If you're not sure is better to stay silent.

Thank you, Julia.

GOOGLE TRAD

Hello,

I just tried to configure a sd card toshiba FlashAir III with Zortrax.

First a big thank you to Laurent and Julia for sharing information, this should prevent me back and forth to the printer and the fear that the SD card gets stuck at some point!

I changed the config of the card as described by them two (see below), my problem now is that the router does not seem to see it and therefore not assign an IP address

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64, someone will have an idea?

Bonjour,

Je viens d’essayer de configurer une carte sd toshiba Flashair III avec la Zortrax.

D’abord un grand merci à Laurent et Julia pour le partage des infos, cela devrait m’éviter les allers retours à l’imprimante et la crainte que la carte SD ne reste coincée à un moment !

J’ai modifié la config de la carte comme décrit par eux (voir ci dessous), mon problème c’est que le routeur ne semble pas la voir et donc pas lui attribuer d’adresse IP

Je suis sous Windows 7 pro 64, quelqu’un a t il une idée ?

[Vendor]

CIPATH=/DCIM/100__TSB/FA000001.JPG

APPMODE=5

UPLOAD=1

WEBDAV=2

UPDIR=/

APPSSID=Livebox-9b91

APPNETWORKKEY=**************************

APPNAME=ZORTRAX

APPAUTOTIME=250000

VERSION=FA9CAW3AW3.00.00

CID=02544d535731364731d5358c7900f201

PRODUCT=FlashAir

VENDOR=TOSHIBA

1) FlashAir really need good signal from router.

2) Are you using MAC filtering on router?

Thanks for your answer

1. the sd card is at one meter from the router,I think that the signal is ok

2)what do you mean by “Mac filtering” ?

Hi,

When I tried it first, I was not able to connect the FlashAir because I left it in my laptop sd card reader, and I realised some times later it was really near its wifi antenas, but it worked well as soon as I put it in the zortrax.

When I power on the zortrax, sometime one minute is needed before I can connect to the flashair. Then to test it, even if your router does not list it, try to connect to it using the name you defined (e.g. http://zortrax/ or \\zortrax\ according to your post). Most of the time, mine does not appear in the connected device list on my Netgear router, but it works well (but I can see the ip in the router log) 

Laurent

2)what do you mean by "Mac filtering" ?

Some routers allow additional security by blocking mac addresses that are not on an allowed macs list.

If this feature is activated at your router the cards mac has to be on the list to be able to connect to your router.

Thanks guys,

I’m going to a 3D print show in France for 2 days so I can’t try anything but I’ll tell you when I’m back

Hi,

It works now, the FlashAir still doesn't appear on the connected device list of my router but i can connect to it by using directly the name on my web browser...

After that I added a new network location and, fabulous, I can directly drop my files from Z-suite in the printer without leaving my chair ;-)

It's a really nice improvement

Thank you again everybody here

Great !

Actually, you still need to leave your chair to select the model to print ;)

I am very happy with that card too; benefits may seem poor, but I'd miss it for sure now I've the habits of it.

Laurent