Up Box VS Zortrax M200

I'm thinking about getting my first 3d printer. I need it for making accurate functional parts and one of my biggest worries is warping in ABS filament. PLA is not an option since its brittle. A new printer is hitting the market , Up Box, and has many features that theoritically should mitigate the effect of warping. My question is which printer is better in terms of fighting ABS warping, The Up Box or M200?

Thanks for participation

... which printer is better in terms of fighting ABS warping, The Up Box or M200?

It's definitely the Up Box, you can even make use of the bigger build volume and still the UPB shows less warping, but...

I had 2 of them out of the same batch and returned them because of manufacturing issues.

The software had big issues too (well, Z has some also, but the ones of the UPB made it useless for me).

Short story: the M200 is still in my house, the UPBs returned to sender.

BTW, there are many flavors of filaments and also not so brittle PLA variants.

For me the M200 with side covers are better than UP, the print quality is much better and the Z-Suite software working on the Mac computers. Zortrax have more filaments which you use than UP. 

As I know the UP printers have a lot mechanical issues.

Well, St. Peter is throwing in another bunch of expert statements...

Aleksiej, how many UPs did you hold in your fingers ever and how many of them were Up Boxes?

We are used to get such reports from you mostly, about hardware you claim to have experience with and when reading your statements about it everyone can see you never used them (e.g. your statements about Z-Temp).

So what is driving you to place statements like that?

As I know the UP printers have a lot mechanical issues.

Knowledge is created by experience, everything else could be called agitation.

So is this just training or already profession?

greets to St. Peter...

BTW, that M200 with side covers gets lower warping than UPB is just a bullshit statement, I have posted the results here in the forum already.

I had 2 of them out of the same batch and returned them because of manufacturing issues.

The software had big issues too (well, Z has some also, but the ones of the UPB made it useless for me).

Short story: the M200 is still in my house, the UPBs returned to sender.

BTW, there are many flavors of filaments and also not so brittle PLA variants.

Thanks for responding Z. this is surprising since the Up plus 2 and up mini were reliable and had a very functional software. I guess some printers start weak but that doesn't mean the printer it self is horrible. maybe wait for some time to see how it performs.

A review for the Upbox by Makezine came out and they assigned it average on print quality which is terrible for its price tag. Here is the url:http://makezine.com/product-review/3d-printing-systems-up-box/

you mentioned that some PLA brands are not very brittle can you mention any specific brands?

It is true that Zortrax has more filaments to print with. not to mention that up filament premium ABS is really expensive. but the zortrax filaments other than ABS are very expensive as well.

you mentioned that some PLA brands are not very brittle can you mention any specific brands?

Polymakr, in special Polymax

That Polymax PLA sells for 50 dollars for 750 g spool!!

Good Plastic is like good wine. You have to pay for. ; )

It is true that Zortrax has more filaments to print with. not to mention that up filament premium ABS is really expensive. but the zortrax filaments other than ABS are very expensive as well.

Actually this is not true, you can print many types of filament on the UPB.

I used some really cheap PLA to create the front screens for my LED lamps.

One has to do some tweaks and it works (tweaks are available for the M200 also).

That Polymax PLA sells for 50 dollars for 750 g spool!!

Your OP was about ABS shrinkage, accuracy and brittlenes, Venosa gave you a possible solution with his answer. :slight_smile:

A review for the Upbox by Makezine came out and they assigned it average on print quality which is terrible for its price tag. Here is the url:[url=http://makezine.com/product-review/3d-printing-systems-up-box/]http://makezine.com/product-review/3d-printing-systems-up-box/[/url

Well, I don’t care about theese tests, mabye their test setup was the reason for average print quality.

Print quality was comparable on both printers as long as for both the original filaments have been used.

The UPB just had some mechanical and software issues that caused failing or destroyed prints.

I would not call that an average print quality but a defective printer with buggy software.

One thing to point out in this discussion:

If I talk about warping issues that’s always related to big and probably sharp edged objects like boxes that are almost as large as the maximum x and y size of the buildplate.

If you print much smaller objects having no sharp edges and the like, there are no warping and you would be satisfied with the M200 (just like me :slight_smile:

Actually this is not true, you can print many types of filament on the UPB.

I used some really cheap PLA to create the front screens for my LED lamps.

One has to do some tweaks and it works (tweaks are available for the M200 also).

those tweaks you are talking about are they Hacks? I'm aware of Hacks for previous up softwares but it already happened for Up Box! and do they allow using materials like PETG?

and please elaborate on those tweaks for the zortrax.

Well, I don't care about theese tests, mabye their test setup was the reason for average print quality.

Print quality was comparable on both printers as long as for both the original filaments have been used.

The UPB just had some mechanical and software issues that caused failing or destroyed prints.

I would not call that an average print quality but a defective printer with buggy software.

One thing to point out in this discussion:

If I talk about warping issues that’s always related to big and probably sharp edged objects like boxes that are almost as large as the maximum x and y size of the buildplate.

If you print much smaller objects having no sharp edges and the like, there are no warping and you would be satisfied with the M200 (just like me :slight_smile:

I don't know about that, their testing parameters are very thorough but again you may be right too. that is why it is better to wait for some time on this printer for reviews to come out. I'm going to be printing objects longer than 10 cm in height, and 8.3 by 8.3 cm in the base so I think I should be worried about warping. I might go with LULZbot MINI to work with Esun PETG for big parts and leave ABS and HIPS for smaller parts.

100 x 90 x 90 cm isnt that bad for avoid warping. It’s more a question of specific geometry of your model and the best material for your job. You can’t put money in this algebra. As we use to say in my language (Portuguese) you can’t have the 3 B’s: bom, bonito e barato (good, beautiful and cheap). Only two!

I don’t have experience with Up Box, I think both printers will do the job. But you hVe to choose the best material to the job. I printed a big model that have to use all long the M200 diagonal. Was a fight but I win. After a lot of fine tweakings and Ulrat. Wasn’t cheap. But what I was making fitted the bill.

I'm going to be printing objects longer than 10 cm in height, and 8.3 by 8.3 cm in the base so I think I should be worried about warping. 

If we are not talking about a solid block of material of this size, but something that does not need too much infill on a flat bottom plate having sharp edges, the M200 will perfectly print that in ABS.

About the tweaks: If I write about them the thread probably gets deleted and me receiving another warning point (the MAM Z-Fanclub has shown some activity today and most probably a member will report immediately my bad behavior if it occurs)  :ph34r:

But you can find information about dangerous filaments and unofficial mods in the forum easily.

Here is the exact part. base being 7 cm in x and y with 4 mm thickness walls. there is an enforcing ring in the middle with 8 by 8 cm. the height is 11.5 cm to be precise.here is an attachment of this part

1-1.STL

I don't think that this part would create big warping problems.

Getting it positioned with good support could be the bigger issue and the M200 is champion for printing with easy removable support.

I cannot give evidence, my M200 is eating up a spool of PLA right now and this will take another 2 days or so.

100 x 90 x 90 cm isnt that bad for avoid warping. It's more a question of specific geometry of your model and the best material for your job. You can't put money in this algebra. As we use to say in my language (Portuguese) you can't have the 3 B's: bom, bonito e barato (good, beautiful and cheap). Only two!

I don’t have experience with Up Box, I think both printers will do the job. But you hVe to choose the best material to the job. I printed a big model that have to use all long the M200 diagonal. Was a fight but I win. After a lot of fine tweakings and Ulrat. Wasn’t cheap. But what I was making fitted the bill.

I get what you are saying but the Upbox can either print with ABS or PLA (as far as I know).  What I'm naw thinking of is to get the Lulzbut Mini since it has amazing print quality and can print with low price material that can do this job easily like cheap brand PETG. If you see some flaws with this reasoning please explain.

my M200 is eating up a spool of PLA right now

Interesting. PLA with the Zortrax ;)