Z-Suite shell thickness slicing

Hello World :slight_smile:

Most RepRap slicers can set Shell Thickness so the model is not solid but hollow inside with some pattern reinforcement.

It would be relly nice to have this kind of setting in Z-Suite for my brand new Inkspireā€¦ so my models are also not fully filled inside - sometimes its not even welcome or necessaryā€¦

Please consider such optionā€¦ or tell me how to set it if I have missed oneā€¦

Best regards :slight_smile:
Tomek

Hi, Tomek. Unfortunately, this option is not available at the moment. Itā€™s on our ā€œto doā€ list, but it can take some time.
Nevertheless, if you design a model as a shell and add a hole, so that resin can drip through it, you can successfully print it without solid infill.

+1 here! Hollowing and poking is quite easy to do in Meshmixer, but requires extra steps. Hollowing, poking, as well as automatic lifting, angling and support generation should be in Z-Suite as soon as possible. I know this guidance is on the Zortrax help site, but it should be integrated into the software so the user will have a good experience ā€œout of the boxā€. FormLabs does this already. I think most users will come from FDM and will make mistakes based on their experience there, leading to disappointment with the product.

1 Like

My suggestion would be to use existing Open-Source slicer engine - like CURA / CuraEngine - this way you would get something that already works fine with a decent quality and wide range of available options, then you can improve the code and share back the results making the Open-Source even better :slight_smile:

I made a post about this a few weeks ago. This is an easy work around to get extra shell perimeters in z-suite just where you want themā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks @MechInnovation for the hint, I have tried that too as a quick dirty hack, but that would imply generating a specific model just for Z-Suite printā€¦ which should not be the caseā€¦ all slicers can set wall thickness and infill parameters for years already and Z-Suite should have that option tooā€¦ that makes design universal and platform independent but then still you can set specific parameters in slicer depending on the print technologyā€¦

At the moment I am even unable to get into Preview stage because previous steps take forever and does not even completeā€¦

Have they added an option of increasing shells without using phantom gaps?

can you use Cura for example to slice and then print on a M300 Dual? I didnā€™t think Zortrax allowed that

@Sam7373 yes there is a new HOLLOW option in Z-Suite for Inkspire and it works quite well :slight_smile: There seems no infill inside but I did not try to cut the printā€¦ it is also important to put draining holes ā€œat the endā€ of the model so the resin can easily flow outside in order to dry the print inside after :slight_smile:

@Marta does this HOLLOW print functionality use any sort of ā€œinfillā€ as the inside structure for the hollow prints? After some time I think it could be a very nice and useful feature to have some sort of infill for the hollow prints that would make them more stiff :slight_smile:

@HCBlom I have used CURA for other printers several years back, it was not Zortrax hardware, because stock slicer was poor, was not open-source, and did not work on FreeBSD, so I have ported CURA to FreeBSD and created a configuration for my printer. What is your motivation to use CURA if I may ask?

For me Open-Source and Portability of the software is the first thing I ever consider. This is why I also convince ZORTRAX to go Open-Source or at least make their software portable which is possible as they use .net core for development right? :slight_smile:

Of course there is infill option, just set it to 50% or other value you need.

1 Like

awsome! thanks! :slight_smile: