Zortrax M300! :)

Raise with tweeking will match just about any printer. (With the proper filament and time adjusting).

-NS

So I get from that that it is open source? and that its out of the box print quality doesn't match the Zortrax?

IMHO neither of those will go close to the print quality of the Z slicer.

Depends what your own needs are.

Z slicer doesn't permit u to print thin walls. this is something I hate about it that other slicers like simplfy 3d can solve

So I get from that that it is open source? and that its out of the box print quality doesn't match the Zortrax?

That's actually the real problem with most of them.

You buy it and it doesn't work properly out of the box.

Then you spend time and money jerking around on forums and buying mods/bits to make it work.

If you enjoy that sort of thing it's not really an issue.

Z works out of the box, and then there are mods to make it more versatile, but if something on the odd occasion goes wrong you are on your own.

In case Zortrax is listening, I'd also like to state that US$5,000 would put the M300 out of my price range and that price seems unjustifiable to me, given the relatively modest hardware improvements that seem to have been made.  It looks like the improvements are essentially more travel, a higher capacity heater, and doors and that doesn't add US$2500 value to me.

Anyway, there's another point that is slightly concerning about that m300 announcement. Obviously, such a large print volume means that print jobs can take multiple days.

You could think of a lot of possible improvements that would address this challenge, like:

• Filament monitor- automatic pause if running out of filament
  • Resume after power loss
  • Remote and/or problem monitoring (like pause in case of problem and/or support for webcam or whatever)
  • Quick exchange of nozzle/hotend/extruder to use nozzles with larger diameter for bigger print jobs

However the only idea they came up with is an increased spool size with a slot that allows you to estimate the remaining filament.

Anyway, there's another point that is slightly concerning about that m300 announcement. Obviously, such a large print volume means that print jobs can take multiple days.

You could think of a lot of possible improvements that would address this challenge, like:

• Filament monitor- automatic pause if running out of filament
  • Resume after power loss
  • Remote and/or problem monitoring (like pause in case of problem and/or support for webcam or whatever)
  • Quick exchange of nozzle/hotend/extruder to use nozzles with larger diameter for bigger print jobs

However the only idea they came up with is an increased spool size with a slot that allows you to estimate the remaining filament.

They wasted a great deal of time and money on the failed Inventure, and now need a quick success; the M300 is low-hanging fruit. Most of the features you mention would take significant time to develop compared with the simple chassis, rods, and platform enlargement required for the M300. The M300 makes good sense imo, but only if it's priced competitively.

The M300 makes good sense imo, but only if it's priced competitively.

yes taht is the important point !

They wasted a great deal of time and money on the failed Inventure, and now need a quick success; the M300 is low-hanging fruit. Most of the features you mention would take significant time to develop compared with the simple chassis, rods, and platform enlargement required for the M300. The M300 makes good sense imo, but only if it's priced competitively.

Hello Julia, have they dropped the Inventure or are you thinking about the postponement/delay in bringing it to the market?

Best regards

John Tangerås

That's actually the real problem with most of them.

You buy it and it doesn't work properly out of the box.

Then you spend time and money jerking around on forums and buying mods/bits to make it work.

If you enjoy that sort of thing it's not really an issue.

Z works out of the box, and then there are mods to make it more versatile, but if something on the odd occasion goes wrong you are on your own.

will, that is why I got the zortrax, excellent quality with no hassle. if the raise needs  tweaking to get comparable results then it is not for me. however, An enclosed machine is better in many ways and I hate being stuck with one slicer only. is there a printer that is enclosed, offers comparable print quality to zortrax, and that is open source(at least software)?

The HyVision Cubicon Single works out of the box, has equal or better print quality, a heated chamber, HEPA filter, fully automatic leveling/calibration, supports ABS, PLA and flexible filament (TPU).

It has a special bed coating/surface that allows printing without glue, tape or rafts and still easy removal after cooling. There's a pretty good slicer included but HyVision also offers a S3D profile for download to work with S3D.

The Single's print volume of 240 x 190 x 200 mm is also very close to that of a Craftbot (250x200x200) which I think is pretty much ideal for a compact printer (though the Single is actually not very compact).

Main drawbacks are its pice (like 2700€-3000€), size and the fact that the nozzles can't be exchanged. So you're more or less forced to buy a spare extruder.

Also there’s a successor announced (Single Plus) for later this year, so chances are that prices for the “old” Single will drop and/or you get a better version for a slightly higher price in a few months.

will, that is why I got the zortrax, excellent quality with no hassle. if the raise needs  tweaking to get comparable results then it is not for me. however, An enclosed machine is better in many ways and I hate being stuck with one slicer only. is there a printer that is enclosed, offers comparable print quality to zortrax, and that is open source(at least software)?

The HyVision Cubicon Single works out of the box, has equal or better print quality, a heated chamber, HEPA filter, fully automatic leveling/calibration, supports ABS, PLA and flexible filament (TPU).

It has a special bed coating/surface that allows printing without glue, tape or rafts and still easy removal after cooling. There’s a pretty good slicer included but HyVision also offers a S3D profile for download to work with S3D.

The Single’s print volume of 240 x 190 x 200 mm is also very close to that of a Craftbot (250x200x200) which I think is pretty much ideal for a compact printer (though the Single is actually not very compact).

Main drawbacks are its pice (like 2700€-3000€), size and the fact that the nozzles can’t be exchanged. So you’re more or less forced to buy a spare extruder.

Also there’s a successor announced (Single Plus) for later this year, so chances are that prices for the “old” Single will drop and/or you get a better version for a slightly higher price in a few months.

Thanks for the info. Did u try the printer urself to judge the print quality? Can it use open source filaments? Does S3D work well with this printer?

No, I didn't use it myself. Just watched/read a few reviews and reports from people using it. I think though there's at least one forum member here who used/uses Cubicons on a regular basis.

Anyway, it's pretty much clear that you can use any 1.75mm filament you want with it as long as the 260°C maximum printhead temperature is sufficient. This excludes some higher temperature filaments of course.

I'd guess abrasive stuff like Carbon filled should be avoided because the nozzle is a non-standard piece that is not sold separately.

Some reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RwGmAHfOaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6CvmEVUxhY

And as far as I was told, S3D works flawlessly with the Cubicons even though I guess most users just use the default "Cubicreator" slicer and I guess the "out of the box" experience will be better with their slicer.

Anyway, the Cubicon printers swallow G-Code even though the file extension is different and there are some specific commands needed in the start/stop script.

Software and S3D profiles are available here: http://3dcubicon.com/english/customer/data.asp

Thanks for the info. Did u try the printer urself to judge the print quality? Can it use open source filaments? Does S3D work well with this printer?

I've watched those reviews before but they don't compare both printers in terms of quality. anyway the prints it produces look amazing and controlled environment will sure improve quality. excuse my ignorance but what filaments require more heat than 260 Celsius?

Well, Zortrax prints Z-ABS with 275°C and PCABS with 290°C. Generally speaking, polycarbonate and nylon usually need higher temperatures.

Generally speaking, polycarbonate and nylon usually need higher temperatures.

IIRC just about all the Taulman nylons run at 235-260º. Most PC sold nowadays for the general FDM market is also designed for 250-260ºC I think, although a few years ago 320-ish was required.

PEEK, Ultem, and so forth are the ones requiring high temp these days.

I wouldn't dare to argue about filaments with you and 260°C is quite a common limitation for hotends with PTFE tubes, so it's not really a major concern.

AFAIK Ultem needs temperatures > 300°C which is a bit above what most hotends/extruders can handle and therefore quite exotic.

I just wanted to clarify that 260°C is a limitation compared e.g. to Zortrax which even prints ABS at higher temperatures.

Some people say that higher temperatures lead to better bonding and smoother surfaces for ABS and there are nylon and polycarbonate filaments with recommended temperatures (or temperature ranges) which exceed 260°C.

So sometimes you might want to go above 260°C and it's better to be aware that there is a limit.

No, I didn't use it myself. Just watched/read a few reviews and reports from people using it.

Wich printer(s) do you actually use yourself?

Come on old man, it's fainthearted to try to start a flamewar using a sock puppet.

I think I already made clear in another case that I don’t visit forums to to give myself airs.

If that’s your thing, go on with it if you feel that’s the best way to spend your precious time, but please don’t try to drag me in.

Come on old man, it's fainthearted to try to start a flamewar using a sock puppet.

I think I already made clear in another case that I don’t visit forums to to give myself airs.

If that’s your thing, go on with it if you feel that’s the best way to spend your precious time, but please don’t try to drag me in.

Nice answer, straight on the topic!

I just thought, after all your reviews and statements about printers in several 3DP forums it would be interesting if it is still the case that you don't own one (a printer).

I think it would mean nothing at all, I just wanted to get behind where all your information and statements are from (Google?) and just wanted to get an idea of your printing skills (never saw any prints from you).

Your quarrelsome nature is somewhat demanding. You know very well that I'm still in the market for a 3D printer.

I attend this forum only because the m200 caught my attention and if you would have thought a second about it, you’d had noticed that my postings in the two other 3D printing related forums that I ever joined were also related to the m200.

I only posted in this forum since quite a while because the m300 would solve one of two main issues I have with the m200: its limited size.

Anyway, you should really rethink your attitude as you obviously feel superior to people who don't want to pile 3D printers in their houses to print lampshades and flower pots.

I don’t want to buy a 3D printer to make this my new hobby. I want to use the printer to help me in my projects where I’m currently limited to ordering laser cut acrylic parts or quite expensive (SLS) printed parts.

And yes, I learn from reading and watching. Like people always did. What do you think how universities work? Find out about nuclear radiation by making your own mistakes? Really?

So please stop this now. If you need to inflate your ego, please try to not involve me.