Zortrax Announced New Printers

Hi,
I'm new in the forum.
I really would like to know if it will be avaiable soon a printer with a bigger printing area, because the area of M200 is not enought for me.
At the moment ZORTRAX has just the M200 model and I understand that there will be M120 in the future, but I have seen also that there will be new models. The 1M$ question is: "we will have a model with a bigger printing area?", I hope 250x250x250 at least!
I don't think that there are better printer than ZORTRAX now in the market up to 3000€, the quality of this printer is astonishing me for what I have seen on the web, compared with the very poor quality of other brands in general.
I have made the same question to ZORTAX few days ago through their web site (contact) but no answer from them! Very very strange, I thought "why it is a secret?".
May be some of you, did the same question and has the answer...

Thanks
Giuseppe

Thanks Rafal for you answer!

But the biggets one is a Stereolithography (SLA) printer?

What would be the max area size for the FDM printers? And when it will be possible to buy one? I really need to start building my horns prototype!

Many Thanks for you answers

Giuseppe

It gives a more professional look to have just one window IMO

Eh. To me it looks like a CUbify! lmao  

Professional is functionality and access to all places on printer is true professionalism. lol

This looks more like a printer for schools. But i am sure coming from Zortrax it will be a great printer....though curious if it will be awaiting upgrades like the M200 is.  :o

What!?

So ordering an m200 now would be a huge fail on my part as there is a price reduction coming up in some months?

I was SO getting ready to hit that order button!

#Agnryface#

What!?

So ordering an m200 now would be a huge fail on my part as there is a price reduction coming up in some months?

I was SO getting ready to hit that order button!

#Agnryface#

If you're going to wait I sincerely hope that you're good at holding your breath.  ;)

Zortrax has been promising PLA, Nylon, WiFi printing, and several others since the KickStarter campaign. I absolutely recommend this printer to anyone that asks, but base all your decisions on what is out RIGHT NOW and NOT what is promised. If you wait, a few weeks could turn into months, which could turn into a year or more. How much printing could you get done in that time, and what is that worth to you?

I was actually in the same boat as you a couple months ago when I bought my printer. I emailed asking how much and when it would drop, and this is the response I got from support: "We don't know how much would the Zortrax M200 cost when new printer comes. This is the first time I hear that the price would dropp, I really do not believe that. I think that you have nothing to worry about."

Basically, I'd just advise you to just do it. If you're in the US and associated with a university (student, faculty, etc) I'd highly recommend giving 3dproshare a call, otherwise Octave typically has some pretty good package deals going. 

As Martin said back in January:

"New printer have tiny build platform size and somehow it will be not for tiny price our strategy is to not collide new printers [such] as M120 with current M200 generation.

It is still few months until M120 can be ready for shipping.

Today and in future current M200 is still and will be the best deal."

Yeah but thats just semantics so a “collision” would mean different things to the manufacturer and thw consumer so it essentially means nothing :slight_smile:

If i buy a printer at 2000$ and three months later its 1500$ due to a new line of printers i call that a collision if not a bold faced lie :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont know the market for these printers so if a zortrax representative said to labrat that the price shouldnt be affected significantly and you guys deem that realistic ill listen to you ♡

Im definatively not a good waiter smirk but i’m not midas either :wink:

Anytime I buy something like this I fully expect that it is going to be replaced with a less expensive, more feature rich product at some point in the near future. If you always wait for the next one, you will never get one.

Anytime I buy something like this I fully expect that it is going to be replaced with a less expensive, more feature rich product at some point in the near future. If you always wait for the next one, you will never get one.

Depending on the $ amount + time passed since purchased sure.

We all bought computer after computer knowing they'll be out of date in a year or two, but not a few months =)

I've only just raised the funds and made the desicion of buying a printer so I've not seen how the market swings. 

Is it to be expected that a printer experiences a drastic reduction in price every, say, six months or so?

From what I understand there's only rumour mongering going on at the moment so I might be scaring myself out of 

a zortrax on a hype I'm blowing out of proportions but it's alot of dough to fork out.

I'm in the upper scale of impatient so I'm usually fine with paying out a little extra to get something sooner but I'd feel as cheated

as the next guy if I go into a store to buy pants and as I'm leaving the store with bags of stuff I see them hanging up a "75% off!"

sign knowing the store just robbed me ;)

Would be great to get a Zortrax representative comment on this issue.

Would be great to get a Zortrax representative comment on this issue.

Martin Olchanowski, head engineer/designer of Zortrax, already did comment back in January, and I re-posted his comment for you, but you scoffed at it.

I think it is unlikely that there will be a dramatic change in price or features of the M200 in the near future. First of all, I think their resources are focused on introducing the low-end M120 and the new high-end exotic technology machine. Secondly, the M200 is already priced very reasonably for the quality and feature set of the machine, and being produced in China I doubt the manufacturing cost can be reduced much without sacrificing quality, which I am confident Zortrax will not do. Furthermore, there is no truly comparable machine at this price point, so there is no compelling or urgent need to reduce the price and sacrifice margin.

From what I have seen, the prices don’t drop so fast for quality printers.

Martin Olchanowski, head engineer/designer of Zortrax, already did comment back in January, and I re-posted his comment for you, but you scoffed at it.

I think it is unlikely that there will be a dramatic change in price or features of the M200 in the near future. First of all, I think their resources are focused on introducing the low-end M120 and the new high-end exotic technology machine. Secondly, the M200 is already priced very reasonably for the quality and feature set of the machine, and being produced in China I doubt the manufacturing cost can be reduced much without sacrificing quality, which I am confident Zortrax will not do. Furthermore, there is no truly comparable machine at this price point, so there is no compelling or urgent need to reduce the price and sacrifice margin.

I second Julia's comment. The M200 as it sits today will make you very happy, so even if they come out with a new version you're not going to be disappointed. At the M200s price point, you can't buy a better printer that's as easy to use as it is to get fantastic prints off of it. 

From what I have seen, the prices don't drop so fast for quality printers.

The UP! plus was originally $3000 USD about 4 years ago, then dropped to $1500 overnight. It stayed there for 2 years because it had the best software for a closed source market. The printer was easily modified and upgraded by end-users and in its current form today it still sits in the top 20 3D printers on the market according to 3D hubs. 

What I am pointing out is that printers of quality can drop very fast, admittedly this is a rare case I have pointed out because the UP! was a bit overpriced even for its quality at the time, and yes there were a lot of people world wide who bought the machine at it's original price. The Zortrax is a slightly different story because of the size of the build area and the quality of the parts, along with a number of other reasons including the already affordable prince. 

*Personal opinion hat on*

I am in the process of off loading my own printers with the intention of picking up a Zortrax in a month or so, and even if they dropped the price by 500$ the day after I bought it i would not be disappointing because the quality that it outputs makes it worth it to me. I am not saying that it is going to drop by even $250 I am just saying that the quality it brings to the table makes hitting the buy button worth it.

*Personal opinion hat off*

-Michael

Right, there are always exceptions, especially when they are way overpriced from the begining. And as you said, it stayed there at that price for two years. It is now a little cheaper, but because the Up Box (their new flagship) is coming out and at a reasonable price, one that is putting me on the wall between that and the Zortrax. Especially since it has a lot of features that I have been looking for in a 3d printer. And Up printers also do good prints as well.

I just got my m200 today.  Thought it was a fairly new printer.  Yikes should have waited.  Consenses out there that it will be upgradable hopefully?  Or will I be stuck with an older printer in a few months.  Not complaining I think the m200 will satisfy my print needs but kinda feel like I should have done better homework.  My primary printer is an sla Titan1 but doesn't work well with large objects that need to be blocky persae and made solid (infill).

I dont know but i suppose there’s no homework to be done without concrete statements from zortrax.

The latest posters made some good points and i’m leaning towards going ahead with the purchase even with the knowledge they’re releasing a new series of the same printer.

Like they say, if it’s only cosmetic changes and the printer itself remains the same while competing companies should have little reason to dump their prices. And afterall, from what I understand the cosmetically upgraded m200 will replace the current and not compete with it.

So that should mean that for the purposes of reselling our printers its not a good idea to buy now since the current m200 used will be hard to sell once there’s a niftier version of the same printer out.

But youre probarply like me and intend to keep using your printer untill its worn out and dont plan to sell it so then its not a fail purchase.

That’s assuming they dont technically improve the printer, ofcourse. If they do i would get more upset if they dont give their community a heads up.

Atleast this is what i have gathered thus far from this thread.

The changes I'd expect for the replacement: 

1) Fully enclosed

2) Minor mechanical alterations. As a side note, companies tend to start out with super high quality, then with continued upgrades get cheaper pats as they realize there isn't enough profit. Because of this, alterations aren't necessarily a good thing. I don't know if I'd expect Zortrax to do this, but it's not unbelievable. 

3) Perhaps the most significant: they are moving to chipped cartridges[1]. The offered reasoning is to alert users that filament is low as well as making sure that the correct material settings are used since users could forget to change filament in the software. However, there is undoubtedly financial reasoning behind this as well as being able to detect if a user used a non-Z filament (this officially breaks the warranty, but currently there's no way for them to prove that you did). For this reason alone I'd say get the M200 and not wait for the replacement. 

EDIT:

4) Perhaps a dual extruder setup. This would be the only true reason for upgrade. However, this would increase complexity and perhaps partially defeat the reliability we know the M200 to have. Even if they do manage to do it and do so reliably, the cost for the new one will most likely be SIGNIFICANTLY higher to cover parts and development. 

Personally I'd rather have a single extruder that works than a dual extruder that I can't trust. Obviously the jury is out until the new one is released and tested, but it'd have to be impressive for me to want to take a risk with the first three points. 

Overall it seems hardly worth waiting. Not to mention, as previously stated, even though the M200 isn't 100% brand new it still kicks the pants off almost any other printer currently on the market in it's price range (and even above it's price range).

[1] Read posts 5 and 7 of this thread

I fully agree; I don't want any of the three things mentioned in your post. In general my experience is that since around 1965 or 1968, newer hasn't meant better.

Hummm,

I think that you miss the most important upgrade for this fantastic printer: the pinting area!

Actually 200x200 for me isn’t enought for a semiprofessional 3d printer. 300x300 will be the paradise, i don’t care if they double the price. Of course if you whant excellent prints you cannot trust in a cheap screw, you need oversized polished rod and japan or german screw balls. They cost alot but… Quality is there! Also big printing area needs a renforced frame and base to avoid any deformation. But still nobody told us if the new m200 will have a bigger printing area, that in the end will be the most important improvement for me, and may be slso for many other users.

*Personal opinion hat flying in*

I do not always trust what a company says about a product, because after all they are selling it and will talk it up as if it can turn lead into gold. Now I am not saying this is what Zortrax is doing but at this point I like the current M200 and will not be disappointed when I finally get mine. Chipping the Filament is a huge no-no in my book where I can see the the benefits to the general public, the majority of high skilled users want a flexible printer in the sense that it can run most other products in the market with minimal problems, and obviously these problems are not Zortraxs' issue's to fix. After all, a lot of innovation and tech jumps have been made by those who rip apart something good and make it better. 

All in all, to those on the fence about buying an M200 right now I would say that you are better off getting one now while the quality of the design is still there. I would not expect Zortrax to compromise the quality of the M200 because of its success but anything is possible and in it's current state it is one of the best on the market. (and no I do not get commission out of selling printers, for those who think I would benefit from sales) As always, the pessimistic opinion you can trust :D

*Personal opinion hat majestically fly's away*

-Michael